Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 1945 B build/restoration

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-01-2019 @ 02:06 PM
    Thanks

1945 B build/restoration

I am restoring my 1945 B back to good running condition with the hope of using it around the property to do some minor work. it was purchased by my great grandfather new in 1945, he used it as his only tractor until he stopped farming in the late 70's. At that point it just sat in the barn and was only started a few times over the years. I gave it a repaint in 1993, nothing show quality just something to keep it from rusting up. After that I drive it back to the barn until 5 years ago when I started it and drove it into my garage. Then this year I started going over it trying to get it dependable to run again.
    It is not my intention to make a show tractor but I want it to be safe to use again. I have pulled the magneto off and sent it out to be rebuilt since it did not want to make any spark the last time I tried to start it. I am working on the fuel system now , replacing the sediment bowl and valve. I recently got a reprint of the owners manual and thought I would change all of the fluids. I pulled the drain plug on the motor oil and nothing came out so I stuck my finger in the hole and it was a Goo sludge mess. I have no idea how I can get this stuff out of there or what the plan should be now . I expected it to be nasty but not this bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails john deere b.jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to exline For This Useful Post:

44JohnDeereBR (01-14-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Glad to hear of your project! I think it'll bring you a lot of pride and satisfaction knowing you kept it and did it yourself. I too am restoring a tractor that belonged to my grandfather. It's worth more to me than my new JDs.

Try adding some gasoline to the engine. You can then use a wire rod or something similar to push up the drain hole to help get things going. You could also remove the engine/crankcase inspection cover to see what's going on.

Keep us up to date on how it goes. I can't wait to see your progress.
    rtgt, Jeff R. and BigJim55 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

exline (01-06-2016)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,105 Posts
    exline; welcome to GTT from another pa. where at in pa. are u? I knew a guy that had a last name like urs when I hauled steel back in the 90's, he hauled steel too.

if I was u , I would pour some kerosene in the motor and let soak for a while, I think it would eventually soak thru the goo, and run out. my dad had a 1938 b just like urs. that's what i got throwed off and got my collar bone broke when I was kid. good luck, ur fine lots of good info here. big jim
    rtgt likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

exline (01-06-2016)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks for the reply. I left the drain plug out and it finally started to drain. I think I will try flushing it out with kerosene.
    I am from warfordsburg, its close to breezewood. I don't haul steel but I use a lot of it. I restore cars and also make new body panels for them. this tractor was actually my first paint job , I did it in highschool. I always liked this tractor, I remember once when we were bailing hay and our 4020 broke just as we were finishing our last load and I pulled the B out of the barn and finished with it. after that I always thought that I would like to do something with this B other than let it sit. hopefully the time has come to start using it for something again.
    the magneto is at Roberts carburetor getting rebuilt, it will probably be done in January. I am hoping to have it ready to start up again by then.
    DRobinson, rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    exline; boy were pretty close, good to know! schellsburg,pa. for me. good luck and enjoy! big jim

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    hey dieselshadow are u sleeping yet, or well anyone who can run these threads into one for this fella! sorry diesel forgot maybe ur was in hottub!!!! thanks big jim

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    I dumped some kerosene in the motor and let it soak overnight then drained it . I got a lot of goo out. I also pulled the filter and it looked terrible!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151223_202700.1.jpg  
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    Jdparts.com should have a PDF parts list and a brake down for free. Might be easier to access through Green Farm Parts: John Deere Parts Discount Store GFP gives a discount to GTT members.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I drained the transmission and it was not as bad as the motor. the owners manual says to use sae 90 oil. is this still the best oil to use? napa has 80w90 for cheaper than sae 90, does it make that much difference?
    BigJim55 likes this.

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Hello exline,

Welcome to GTT. Looks like a nice project on the "B".
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to flyweight For This Useful Post:

exline (01-06-2016)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast