• 2 Post By sennister
  • 1 Post By rydplrs

Thread: Craigslist - 45 Series FEL

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks

Craigslist - 45 Series FEL

It isn't mine but I see someone near me is selling a 45 Series FEL for X700 tractors. It should also fit X585, X595 type machines as well not sure on others.

I don't know how it is on price but it looks nearly new in the photos and they are not very common.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...485603491.html
    ColonyPark, BigJim55 and GWT3046r like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    It isn't mine but I see someone near me is selling a 45 Series FEL for X700 tractors. It should also fit X585, X595 type machines as well not sure on others.

I don't know how it is on price but it looks nearly new in the photos and they are not very common.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/w...485603491.html
    Nice find! Those are one of the more illusive attachments out there for sure.

To potential buyers, make sure he has the frame mounts that go from the rear axle and bolt to the frame behind the front tires. Also, I think he's a little low on the cost of the PRV from JD, but my memory may be fuzzy as it's been a good 8-10 months since I've had one. I feel like it was at least double that, but again, I might be mixing up with something else. At least double check with your local dealer before committing. If it were me, I'd wait the guy out. I know they are rare, but 3k is steep!
    ColonyPark likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(02-08-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goodworkstractors View Post
    Nice find! Those are one of the more illusive attachments out there for sure.

To potential buyers, make sure he has the frame mounts that go from the rear axle and bolt to the frame behind the front tires. Also, I think he's a little low on the cost of the PRV from JD, but my memory may be fuzzy as it's been a good 8-10 months since I've had one. I feel like it was at least double that, but again, I might be mixing up with something else. At least double check with your local dealer before committing. If it were me, I'd wait the guy out. I know they are rare, but 3k is steep!
    Yeah I have no idea what the going rate is. While the seller based on the location of the ad is probably 10 miles from me I don't know who it is. That said I could probably look at it if someone wanted a 3rd party person to look at it. Good call on the mount. It does look like there is the mounting bracket in the bucket on the one photo but I don't have a Series 45 FEL. Mine is a CTC so it is a little different.

It has been several years since I did the PRV on my X585 and I don't recall the price either. In addition to that there were some other parts needed. The PRV has a bar that presses down on a button on the top of it and the PRV next to the one that you are replacing. This is needed when you need to free wheel (push/pull) the tractor and you don't want a big expensive bill from a blown hydrostatic drive. This is that lever inside the right rear wheel that you move. Well the new PVR is much taller than the original so you need a different lever. It isn't hard to install but you have to remove the seat, rear fenders and fuel tank (think I was able to just move it out of the way) to get to it. The lever has to come out before the replacement PRV can be installed. Then of course the original one won't fit anymore so if you started this without that part you would either have to put it back together without and tear it apart later to install or remember that the machine can't be pushed or pulled unless under power.

In addition to that I would recommend installing that Lockout Valve on the SCV where the hydraulic lines go. My X585 is an early model so it came with it but it is optional for later model X585 and same with the X595 and many of the X7xx machines. This is not something you have to have in order to use the FEL but what it does is lock out the hydraulic pressure to the cylinder under the machine that is used to lift/lower the mower deck and if equipped lift/lower the 3pt hitch. Where this comes into play is if you are doing FEL work and don't have the lockout your mower deck will go up and down when you dump/curl the bucket. You could take off the mower deck but it is kind of a PITA to do unless you have an Autoconnect but you should know about that. I also didn't like dragging my mower deck under my machine as I was turning my compost pile. That is part of the reason I bought a dedicated mowing machine. The 3pt hitch isn't as big of a deal because you can raise it all the way then adjust the lower limiter all the way up. Then when you dump the bucket it might drop the 3pt an inch or so. Since I am using my 3pt with a HF Quick Hitch and Heavy Hitch with 6 x 42# suitcase weights I like to be able to lock it out. It also has the side benefit of giving better response to the hydraulics on dumping.

There is one other item that I have read about that I tried to get but wasn't able to. I guess for a while there was a kit that could be added to the SCV where it adds the float detent to the dump/curl side of the hydraulics. My understanding is that some people like this because you could push the lever all the way forward to the float detent on the bucket control and if you had a heavy load, maybe a bucket of dirt, it would dump quicker than what the hydraulics can move the bucket under power. For those familiar with the old style trip bucket think of something like that but you didn't have to reset it.

I guess the only other area to cover is if someone wanted to shim the implement pressure relief. As long as you are in there installing the PRV from the step above, you are right there to re-shim the implement pressure relief. On the X585 and X595 (I assume X7xx are the same) they run something like 800-900 PSI. There is a range that is the "approved pressure range" in the service manual. You will want to first build a pressure gauge that hooks to the SCV to see where you are at and then buy the shims that look like little washers. I think I still have a bunch because I bought a 50 pack and needed maybe 5. Then you shim and test. Shim and test. In researching this on my own (do your research) I found info that the Tuff Torq K92 transaxle used in many of these machines is also used in other color tractors. Some of which are nearing the size of a 1 Series then the manufacturer on those machines provided specs for running at higher implement pressures than what JD called for in the X Series. Lots of rumors why. Maybe because they didn't want to take sales away from bigger tractors. A safety limit so you don't lift too much. Even read info from someone claiming to be an engineer with Tuff Torq that this transaxle can take 1500psi safely. I was seeing other color machines running 1200 psi so that was my target. If 1500 was true I had a buffer for safety. I don't remember how many shims I used but I hit 1175psi and the next one put me over 1200 so I backed off one and was fine with 1175. At least with the CTC loader it was a night and day difference. I never worried about ballast much before I shimmed it because it really couldn't lift much. Went from that to almost flipping the tractor when I picked up a bucket of dirt. Keep in mind the front axle isn't designed to carry that much of a load so not only is flipping a safety issue but you run the risk of an expensive repair bill even if you don't flip it. I now run fluid filled tires and 252# hanging off the 3pt.

Another note to the best of my knowledge this isn't compatible with the newer X7xx machines. If you look at the side of your frame you should see a large square hole. Well offset so it looks like a diamond. Maybe 2"x2". It will be about right below where the foot controls are for forward/reverse. If you don't see this you can't mount the mounting bracket that passes through the frame. Also it doesn't work with 4 wheel steering models. I think I saw where some people might have gotten it to work but I don't think it is officially supported. It is for the 4wd models. Not sure if the 4ws limit is a safety thing or that the linkages to the rear axle are in the way. I don't have one so I don't know.
    ColonyPark and GWT3046r like this.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(02-08-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Craigslist - 45 Series FEL

The THRV valve for an x700 is $158 at my dealer who is as good as any for pricing. That doesnít include the handle.

You are correct it fits x7xx select series, not the newer ultimate series. It also doesnít fit x465.

If it includes the sub frames thatís top dollar. Without them itís overpriced from what Iíve seen. $3500 is typical complete.

The curl upgrade you mentioned is NLA it allowed a float as you described that allowed sustained fast dumping without pulling air into the system/cylinders. I used my 40 loader a lot, and never ran into that issue.
    Last edited by rydplrs; 02-08-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    sennister likes this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    The THRV valve for an x700 is $158 at my dealer who is as good as any for pricing. That doesnít include the handle.

You are correct it fits x7xx select series, not the newer ultimate series. It also doesnít fit x465.

If it includes the sub frames thatís top dollar. Without them itís overpriced from what Iíve seen. $3500 is typical complete.

The curl upgrade you mentioned is NLA it allowed a float as you described that allowed sustained fast dumping without pulling air into the system/cylinders. I used my 40 loader a lot, and never ran into that issue.
    I had found an old thread once here or on MTF where they went through all the parts needed to add a FEL to a X585 and they had all the part numbers and such that were needed. I took all that to the dealer but they were saying that NLA which allowed the float wasn't available anymore. This was probably 5 or so years ago. I don't know how much I need it. I just figured as long as things were ripped apart I might as well do everything. Like I mentioned I only had to add the THRV and handle which you basically have to do to protect the transaxle. I didn't do the re-shim of the implement pressure relief but I wish I had. I was a little nervous about doing it but once I saw how I could only lift a bucket of dirt maybe a foot off the ground. It became apparent that it was really needed. So I went back in and did it later after reading more and researching more. That is something that is a do at your own risk but I don't think I have read any case where someone had an issue and regretted it.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements