Radiator Overflow Tank Repair..Interesting
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Radiator Overflow Tank Repair..Interesting

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-21-2017 @ 02:52 PM
    Thanks

Radiator Overflow Tank Repair..Interesting

From day one the cap on my radiator overflow tank has leaked from coolant splashing while the tractor is being used. Replaced the cap and didn't fix it so yesterday the Tech came to the house and replaced the tank. One thing he did is remove the rubber seal in the cap and sanded down any plastic mold leftovers so the bottom of the cap was smooth. He then reinserted the rubber seal, put coolant in the tank, held it upside down and nothing leaked so it appears were good.

He mentioned that this process is one thing that appears to have worked many times.

I know this is an ongoing problem with many tractors so I wanted to post this.
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting that . I'm sure many of us have the same issue , I know mine does . I'm going to give the fix a try this weekend on my cap . Did the tech sand on the very bottom of the cap , or was it inside where the seal is supposed to seat .
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by romcjr View Post
    Thanks for posting that . I'm sure many of us have the same issue , I know mine does . I'm going to give the fix a try this weekend on my cap . Did the tech sand on the very bottom of the cap , or was it inside where the seal is supposed to seat .
    He sanded the bottom where there were plastic bits left over from the mold (after the rubber seal was removed) . Made sure it was smooth.

Not the edges

Hope it works for you.
    Phil d

2014 1025r, FEL, 54D mmm, 647 Tiller, 54" Quick Hitch Blower, Power Flow MCS, JD Aeriator, JD Dethatcher.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    This has been an issue with the 102x series tractors. I did the sanding thing , had JD replace the plastic overflow tank , no help. I cut a piece of PVC pipe the height of the tank I think I used 1 1/4" diameter just so it fit in the neck of the tank , drilled a couple holes in the side of the PVC pipe. Put the PVC pipe in the tank it needs to be fairly tight so the PVC pipe stays upright . NO more leak problems .
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red badger View Post
    This has been an issue with the 102x series tractors. I did the sanding thing , had JD replace the plastic overflow tank , no help. I cut a piece of PVC pipe the height of the tank I think I used 1 1/4" diameter just so it fit in the neck of the tank , drilled a couple holes in the side of the PVC pipe. Put the PVC pipe in the tank it needs to be fairly tight so the PVC pipe stays upright . NO more leak problems .

Clearly JD knows about this. It's amazing to me that it isn't fixed. This is not brain surgery. It speaks to the sense of urgency in their culture, or lack thereof.
    Phil d

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D View Post
    Clearly JD knows about this. It's amazing to me that it isn't fixed. This is not brain surgery. It speaks to the sense of urgency in their culture, or lack thereof.
    In JD's defense, I don't think it's so much a lack of sense of urgency as it is lack of knowing who's in control. Or it may be lack of following a well documented Purchased Part Approval Process because it gets in the way of saving a few pennys on a part. Or lack of follow-up back to the supplier that they are regularly shipping defective product and need to either implement in-process inspection & rework prior to shipment, or rework the tooling to make good parts.

The little company I worked at with only 300-320 employees and only five purchasing people had ALL those processes documented and suppliers abiding by all the rules whether they liked them or not. We got 100% good parts in or they went back to the supplier on the next truck out.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    In JD's defense, I don't think it's so much a lack of sense of urgency as it is lack of knowing who's in control. Or it may be lack of following a well documented Purchased Part Approval Process because it gets in the way of saving a few pennys on a part. Or lack of follow-up back to the supplier that they are regularly shipping defective product and need to either implement in-process inspection & rework prior to shipment, or rework the tooling to make good parts.

The little company I worked at with only 300-320 employees and only five purchasing people had ALL those processes documented and suppliers abiding by all the rules whether they liked them or not. We got 100% good parts in or they went back to the supplier on the next truck out.
    Wouldn't the warranty work the dealers do tell JD what's going on? That data must be easy to follow. Seems easy. I wonder whether their dealer network is consulted about repeat problems with JD parts. When the hitch position control slips thru the plastic housing time and again since 2011, and nothing is changed...........
    Phil d

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Anyone who is having a problem, have your dealer refer to DTAC 97971. So... Deere is aware and the fix is out.

Per Deere...
    Supplier had issues during production with caps not sealing correctly on the coolant overflow reservoir. Date code stamps that were produced before AIP13143 (13-year, 143-day in year) were found to have a supplier fault. Any date stamp after AIP13143 ( 23-May-2013) has an updated tank to take care of this issue.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    04-03-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Anyone who is having a problem, have your dealer refer to DTAC 97971. So... Deere is aware and the fix is out.

Per Deere...
    Supplier had issues during production with caps not sealing correctly on the coolant overflow reservoir. Date code stamps that were produced before AIP13143 (13-year, 143-day in year) were found to have a supplier fault. Any date stamp after AIP13143 ( 23-May-2013) has an updated tank to take care of this issue.
    I had the updated coolant overflow resouvoir put on by my dealer in September of 2013,after sanding the original resouvoir failed to help, the new replacement resouvoir helped a little but it still leaked, I also know others in my area that had theirs replaced with the same results , still leaked. I installed the PVC pipe in the resouvoir , didn't leak anymore , showed the dealer what I had done when I had it in for warranty work . Service manager and service tech said . Oh. That works, that's simple. Probably as far as this small fix went.
    - JD 1025R, R4s, H120 FEL, 53" bucket w/ hooks, 54" auto connect MMM, wheel weights
    - Artillian Forks 42",
    - Expanded piranha bucket edge
    - 72" FEL mounted snow plow,
    - Home built-35 gal 3pt. sprayer w/ pto pump, 3 pt. Hitch weight bracket w/ receiver hitch, holds 8 JD 42 lb. wts, Ballast box 3pt., w/ 6" caster wheels, stainless steel lawn roller
    - JD 425, 54" MMM, 3pt. PTO, MC 519 collection cart with hydraulic dump and power flow

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 02:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D View Post
    Wouldn't the warranty work the dealers do tell JD what's going on? That data must be easy to follow. Seems easy. I wonder whether their dealer network is consulted about repeat problems with JD parts. When the hitch position control slips thru the plastic housing time and again since 2011, and nothing is changed...........
    I can assure you that every little thing wrong with a new piece of equipment, the dealer screams long and loud back at Mother Deere, and charges absolutely stupid money back to her to fix. And the people on the shop floor from the Business unit mgr's to the hourly people all hear about the problems at the producing plants.

And on the flip side, when a dealer charges back the labor to repair a warranty problem the company fights them back for price gouging, unnecessary parts and labor hours. It's not a friendly relationship between dealers & the company.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast