• 4 Post By Firemark
  • 3 Post By WifeSaidOK

Thread: School me on how to use 3 point hitch

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks

School me on how to use 3 point hitch

I know this is a very dumb topic for most of you guys, but I have never used a 3 point hitch. My 1025R has a backhoe which I have taken off 2x in the past year. I think I am ready to expand my fleet of attachments, but here's the problem...I have no idea how to use a 3 point hitch. I think I have watched enough videos to be able to attach the necessary parts, but how does it all work?
    I currently have the backhoe off, and was in the garage earlier trying to see how the 3 point assembly would go up and down. While the tractor was running, I moved the rockshaft lever forward, and backward expecting to see something going up or down, but I saw nothing moving.

So, help a guy out. A google search has shown me plenty of videos on how to attach everything, but I found nothing on how to make it move. Links to videos would be especially helpful.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,960 Times in 2,920 Posts
    Using Rate of Drop/Lock Valve

The rate of drop/lock valve controls the rate of rockshaft drop when the rockshaft control lever is operated. This provides direct rate of drop control for 3-point hitch mounted implements. The valve can also be used to hydraulically lock the rockshaft (three-point hitch) in a desired position.
    CAUTION: Avoid Injury! Excessive rate-of-drop may cause injury or damage. Fully lowering implement should take at least 2 seconds.
    IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! To prevent overheating hydraulic oil and damaging machine, do not raise rockshaft when drop/lock valve is closed.

LVAL38284-UN-21AUG12
    Picture Note: 1023E Shown

LVAL38285-UN-21AUG12
    Picture Note: 1025R Shown

A - Drop/Lock Rate Valve Knob
    Increase Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob (A) counter-clockwise to make drop faster. Decrease Rate of Drop: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob (A) clockwise to make drop slower.
    CAUTION: Avoid Injury! Do not use the rockshaft drop/lock valve for holding an attachment in raised position for service work. Loss of hydraulic pressure could result in sudden drop of attachment. Lower attachment onto blocks or remove from machine before servicing.
    Lock 3-Point Hitch: Rotate drop/lock rate valve knob clockwise until tight.
    Unlock 3-Point Hitch: Rotate drop/lock rate knob counter-clockwise.

Using the Draft Links

1. CAUTION: Avoid Injury! Look down and behind before and while backing. Clear area of all bystanders before backing machine.
      Slowly back machine into position to align draft links with implement lift brackets.
    2. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in Safety Section.)

3. LVAL38286-UN-21AUG12

A - Draft Links
      Connect draft links (A) to the implement.

4. Secure implement with lynch pins.

Leveling Implement Front-to-Rear

1. Park machine safely. (See Parking Safely in Safety Section.)
    2. NOTE: When the 3-point hitch is not being used, return center link to storage hook (A).

LVAL38287-UN-21AUG12

A - Storage Hook
      B - Locknut
      C - Center Link Body
      Lower implement to ground to relieve pressure on center link.

3. Loosen locknut (B).
    4. IMPORTANT: Avoid Damage! Do not turn center link body past the stops, or threads may be damaged.
      Rotate center link body (C) to lengthen or shorten the center link as needed.
    5. Tighten locknut (B).

Leveling Implement Side-to-Side

1. Lower any rear mount implement to the ground.

3. LVAL38288-UN-21AUG12

A - Locknut
      B - Lift Link Body
      Loosen locknut (A).

4. Rotate lift link body (B) to raise or lower draft link until 3-point hitch mounted implement is level from side-to-side.
    5. Tighten locknut (A).

Adjusting Implement Side-to-Side Sway

1. NOTE: Check implement operator’s manual procedure for adjusting sway links. When sway links have been properly adjusted, side sway of implement is controlled by position of links.
      Lower any rear mount implement to the ground.

3. LVAL38289-UN-21AUG12

A - Locking Ring
      B - Turnbuckle
      Remove locking ring (A).

4. Rotate turnbuckle (B) to adjust length.
    5. Install locking ring.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Gizmo. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have read the manual and it didn't help me.
    etcallhome, Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    HLA 42" Forks
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    Thanks Gizmo. I should have mentioned in my original post that I have read the manual and it didn't help me.
    There is a knob under the seat in the middle with a + and a -, if you turn it all the way the arms should drop. But when you have an attachment on it you want to adjust it slowly so it does not jerk the links and other parts of the hitch mechanism.
    Each attachment may need a different adjustment depending on the weight of the attachment.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    I'll assume you don't have any implement on the 3pt at this time?

Besides the rate of drop knob, the rockshaft only has a single acting cylinder inside that pushes it up. If you have no weight on the rockshaft, it may not go down by itself. Try moving the lever down (toward the front of the tractor), then push the rockshaft down. You should even be able to do this with the engine off. You do need the engine running to raise it.

If your rockshaft is already fully up, moving the lever will not show any movement.

I have a BH and don't have any 3pt implements (yet). Since the rockshaft never gets any exercise, it is tight. I test it every so often by raising it with hydraulics and need to lower it manually as above.

Again, if the rate of drop valve is closed, this won't work until you open it.

Just my 2 cents.
    Gizmo2, Levi and Drifterbike like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post

Besides the rate of drop knob, the rockshaft only has a single acting cylinder inside that pushes it up. If you have no weight on the rockshaft, it may not go down by itself. Try moving the lever down (toward the front of the tractor), then push the rockshaft down. You should even be able to do this with the engine off. You do need the engine running to raise it.

If your rockshaft is already fully up, moving the lever will not show any movement.

I have a BH and don't have any 3pt implements (yet). Since the rockshaft never gets any exercise, it is tight. I test it every so often by raising it with hydraulics and need to lower it manually as above.

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks Tom, that is what I was thinking. I don't have any 3 point implements.
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.
    HLA 42" Forks
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Are you a visual person? If so, find an acquaintance with a tractor, and have them show you the ins and outs of a 3 point. I know that I learn better by seeing, than by reading.
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, Levi and 3 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hodge For This Useful Post:

WifeSaidOK (03-01-2017)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    (None of these are my videos and your tractor may have different looking components but the overall operation will be the same)

Here is a basic video showing equipment hookup and removal from the 3pt.
    https://youtu.be/DWj_6_ziHLE
    This video is helpful if you need to see how to actually install the 3pt after removing the hoe.
    https://youtu.be/f6UamPis220

Things to note:
    * Make sure you put both arms on the same way. Typically one side of the lower draft arms has a shorter distance from the hanger to one end of the draft arm. If you need to raise something higher put the shorter distance between the tractor and the hanger. If you need more lifting power put the longer end closer to the tractor. (In most instances it won't matter much but some implements have different geometry and may require it or they won't raise high enough)
    * The rate knob (below the seat) makes a big difference depending on the weight you have hanging. With heavy implements you only need to crack it off of slow to drop them fast, others require a little more flow. An example is my box blade. I will typically set it to drop at a rate that is fast enough to match my ground speed (in low) to have it make contact at the ground that is under my feet when I drop it. It takes a little tuning but you can "bomb site drop" it right where you want but make it slow enough to not clank when it hits the ground. (This gives your neck a chance to uncoil a little bit as you line up your next run since 98% of the time you are looking out the back of the tractor with the box on)
    * If you have no implements or 3pt arms on the tractor, the only movement will be the two upper arms (see second video) and if the rate drop is set too slow, they may not move at all.

What implements do you have/plan to have? That can also help with advice on how to use the 3 point. If you are using a PTO driven implement you'll need to switch PTO from middle to rear and driveshaft lengths need worked out. None of it is hard and certainly the folks here will help you through the setup.
    Last edited by BBarn; 03-01-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBarn For This Useful Post:

Oscar Leroy (03-01-2017), WifeSaidOK (03-01-2017)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:56 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    I know this is a very dumb topic for most of you guys, but I have never used a 3 point hitch. My 1025R has a backhoe which I have taken off 2x in the past year. I think I am ready to expand my fleet of attachments, but here's the problem...I have no idea how to use a 3 point hitch. I think I have watched enough videos to be able to attach the necessary parts, but how does it all work?
    I currently have the backhoe off, and was in the garage earlier trying to see how the 3 point assembly would go up and down. While the tractor was running, I moved the rockshaft lever forward, and backward expecting to see something going up or down, but I saw nothing moving.

So, help a guy out. A google search has shown me plenty of videos on how to attach everything, but I found nothing on how to make it move. Links to videos would be especially helpful.
    These guys gave you a lot of great help and info. I'm still a fairly new owner/operator. I did take a picture of the hitch setup at the dealer. I have the FILB so I used the back hoe a lot to learn. Finally I got my first 3pt implement, a 60" box blade. Looked at the picture and put on the hitch and had a blast box blading around the one acre I cleared. I said to my self this is easy hooking up implements to the three point. Slowly acquired more implements and moving 300-500lbs to line up and pin was not as fun so I added a quick hitch.

You will quickly learn a lot of good stuff here from the experienced and talented guys.
    Operate safe and enjoy your Tractor.

Don
    Last edited by Firemark; 03-01-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomfive View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think Tomfive answered my question (bolded above).
    Gizmo2, Tomfive and Levi like this.
    HLA 42" Forks
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements