Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree141Likes

Thread: Extended Warranty

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

Extended Warranty

What are everyones thoughts on extended warranties? My warranty is about to expire, I have a whopping 56 hours on the tractor. It feels like the warranty should still be there but I will find out this weekend but nevertheless the dealer says it is expiring and is offering an extension where I can pick my terms (running hours/years). Has anyone purchased one, if so why, and price?

thanks
    pcabe5 and Old Cajun like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 2,948 Posts
    I would not get an extended warranty. Never have. Someday that may bite me but hasn't yet.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    What are everyones thoughts on extended warranties? My warranty is about to expire, I have a whopping 56 hours on the tractor. It feels like the warranty should still be there but I will find out this weekend but nevertheless the dealer says it is expiring and is offering an extension where I can pick my terms (running hours/years). Has anyone purchased one, if so why, and price?

thanks
    I don't usually buy extended warranties on vehicles for mechanical issues. I've bought extended warranties on my 2013 Lincoln MKS and my 2016 F150 Platinum because I don't trust the technology and if it breaks and doesn't affect the operation of the vehicle I don't trust myself to pay out of pocket to fix it.

So, to sum that up (and answer your question), I don't see myself buying an extended warranty on the 1025R.
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and Old Cajun like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    It always boils down to "Do you feel lucky?" It's a crap shoot no matter how you look at it. If an extended warranty would give you peace of mind then perhaps it would be the right way to go.

Has your tractor been completely trouble free so far or do you have a few little nagging issues? Do you always do most repairs yourself? If so, then it's really the parts prices. Is transportation included? Do you have a way to haul the tractor yourself? Compare the extended warranty prices they are offering to what a typical repair might cost. With JD parts prices what they are and labor costs most serious attentions will be north of $1000.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

thanks
    Do you service your machine yourself or do you have all routine services completed at the dealer? I learned the hard way that in general filling warranty claims with extended warranty is difficult when they can't look through service department records and see documentation that every single service was completed per the service manual by an authorized service department. It didn't matter I had receipts showing I purchased the parts, they accused me of just purchasing what was needed and not completing the service. If you was using the tractor often and putting some hours on it I could see wanting extra warranty but considering you only have 56 hours on it now how many will it have 3-5 years from now? It's possible you could be spending a couple grand for warranty to cover yourself for what, another 150 hours of actual use. If you push your tractor to its limits and worry that your using it just a bit to hard and something will break, maybe it's worth it. If your using the tractor well below its max capabilities and not really putting a lot of hours on it, you are the customer that makes extended warranties profitable for companies.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Q: Do you know why extended warranties are sold?

A: They make money.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the feedback. I just bought my wife a new car and because of the electronics I bought an extended warranty. Plus it was basically free after all my wifes haggling. For me, it is easier to just tell my wife to drive it to the dealer to get anything fixed. The tractor I will do all the service myself. I used to wrench at Cat in my younger years and have worked/built/engineered on high performance vehicles most of my life so no worries about the little things. It was more about the big things which I have no experience with or tools. I guess I will just roll the dice and skip the warranty. I don't see myself putting more than 50 hours a year on it although this year will be the first full year so I will know better in 6 months.
    Gizmo2, DRobinson, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.

1025 R FILB * Tektite Heated Cab * 54" Snowblower * Artillian 42" Forks * Artillian Grapple * Artillian Front Hoe * TSC 5' Box Blade * TSC 6' rear scraper blade * 60" MMM * Kens BOH

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Here's a good time to give it a test. Take what the price is of the extended warranty and put it aside - in your bank or under your mattress. When the would be extended warranty period is up check your bank account or mattress stash.

If you have to make some repairs yourself during that period, take the money from the stash to pay for it. More times than not you will have all your money - and if not most of it.

Extended warranties are just about pure profit for the retailer.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, grnspot110 and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #9
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Vehicle extended warranties are a scam in my book. For example, if you buy a 5 year plan it encompasses the already warranted 3/36. So you end up paying for what would have been a free warranty plus 2 years. Not sure if JD does the same thing.
    BigJim55, coaltrain and Old Cajun like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Extended warranties are just about pure profit for the retailer.
    Yes, but like with any insurance, to ensure a profit they are betting that only a fraction of those with coverage will ever make a claim.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast