can someone give me some help?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: can someone give me some help?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton, NH
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    can someone give me some help?

    Evening folks,

    Have a question ... I just finished clearing the driveway of about 11" of wet snow. I got so frustrated with the 47" blower, that I ended using the back blade. The issue I am having is in wet heavy snow, every time I finish a pass, and go to backup and lift the blower, the chute clogs every time. Have tried spraying with WD40 and Sno Jet and works better for awhile but then starts doing it all over again. I don't have a problem using the back blade, and once I get the package from R2 I will use the FEL. Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcome.
    UBNT likes this.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:42 PM
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    Wet snow is tough. I usually use a blade instead. But have ok luck taking smaller passes. Especially that deep. Try taking a 1/2 pass and see how it goes. May just be the volume you are trying to get through it. But slushy snow is tough. Get a blade for the front as a snow removal option and save your neck!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55, JeffB1 and 1 others like this.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to vt2305 For This Useful Post:

    JeffB1 (03-15-2017)

  5. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,016
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Something doesn't sound right. I have the 54" blower which is the same mechanism in a 7" wider housing and I have never had a clog... ever... regardless of how wet the snow is, how big of a bite I take, or how fast or slow I go.

    Questions:

    1. What tractor are you using?
    2. Are you running your engine at the rated PTO RPM? (It is marked on your tach and should be around 3200 RPM)
    3. When you stop and before you start reversing, do you pause and let the blower clear of snow?
    4. Does your tractor automatically shut off the blower when you go in reverse?
    5. Is your tractor and blower stored in a heated garage?

    Granted there are certain snow conditions when a back blade is more suitable for the task but your 47" blower should not be clogging that badly.
    fdmars, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    JeffB1 (03-15-2017)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    Superglidesport's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Location
    Littleton, MA
    Posts
    7,721
    Thanks
    697
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Just a thought here? Does your 47SB have the plastic or steel fan blade? The cupped steel fan does a much better job throwing wet snow & slush.

    I just got in from making another pass on my ~800'+ driveway. This time clearing 3-4" of sleet and snow. It was very heavy and wet but no chute clogging issues. Make sure you're running at PTO rated speed. I don't use SnoJet or any other lubricant on the auger or chute housings.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

    John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

    JeffB1 (03-15-2017)

  10. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    919
    Thanks
    533
    Thanked 372 Times in 195 Posts
    My snowblower manual (54D) says to blow snow with the throttle set wide open, not at the PTO mark. I had much better performance when I did this. I also used fluid film as a lubricant on the augur, the chute, and innards of the blower chambers. I haven't had a clog since I made these 2 changes. I also modified my exhaust port so that it is not heating the blower chamber, but the clogs disappeared with just the first 2 changes.
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

  11. Top | #6
    Cutty72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:39 PM
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    1,298
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 120 Times in 107 Posts
    The letting it clear before backing was the key for me.
    I've plugged it a few times but the slush was more water than snow.
    rtgt, Levi, keane and 1 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cutty72 For This Useful Post:

    JeffB1 (03-15-2017)

  13. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton, NH
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Something doesn't sound right. I have the 54" blower which is the same mechanism in a 7" wider housing and I have never had a clog... ever... regardless of how wet the snow is, how big of a bite I take, or how fast or slow I go.

    Questions:

    1. What tractor are you using?
    2. Are you running your engine at the rated PTO RPM? (It is marked on your tach and should be around 3200 RPM)
    3. When you stop and before you start reversing, do you pause and let the blower clear of snow?
    4. Does your tractor automatically shut off the blower when you go in reverse?
    5. Is your tractor and blower stored in a heated garage?

    Granted there are certain snow conditions when a back blade is more suitable for the task but your 47" blower should not be clogging that badly.
    I am using 2210
    Yes I run at PTO Speed
    I may need to give the blower more time to clear, will give that a go
    No the PTO does not auto disengage when in reverse
    I do store it in the garage, but not heated (to cheap for that)
    The blower never skips a beat when in dry snow, maybe I was taking to big of passes for the conditions, will try going 1/4 to 3rd in future.
    jgayman, rtgt and Levi like this.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffB1 For This Useful Post:

    jgayman (03-15-2017)

  15. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton, NH
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    Just a thought here? Does your 47SB have the plastic or steel fan blade? The cupped steel fan does a much better job throwing wet snow & slush.

    I just got in from making another pass on my ~800'+ driveway. This time clearing 3-4" of sleet and snow. It was very heavy and wet but no chute clogging issues. Make sure you're running at PTO rated speed. I don't use SnoJet or any other lubricant on the auger or chute housings.
    The blower head was on my 425, so it is steel fan blade. and running at 3200 RPM
    rtgt, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

  16. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    06-29-2018 @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Hampton, NH
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    My snowblower manual (54D) says to blow snow with the throttle set wide open, not at the PTO mark. I had much better performance when I did this. I also used fluid film as a lubricant on the augur, the chute, and innards of the blower chambers. I haven't had a clog since I made these 2 changes. I also modified my exhaust port so that it is not heating the blower chamber, but the clogs disappeared with just the first 2 changes.
    Ill need to go back and look at the manual about the throttle setting, have always run at PTO speed.
    rtgt, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

  17. Top | #10
    fdmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Location
    Mid CT
    Posts
    2,076
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked 213 Times in 155 Posts
    And perhaps go slower, let it have time to eat snow....my 47" blower did fine but I ran it at WOT for this snow...very wet and heavy.....
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •