• 2 Post By Neb
  • 5 Post By 69project

Thread: Thinking of purchasing a 95 JD 670-No tractor experience

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-22-2017 @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks

Thinking of purchasing a 95 JD 670-No tractor experience

Hello all. I am in the market for a solid used compact tractor. I have zero experience in tractors beyond a common riding mower. I have passed on a Kubota B1550 but am currently looking at a 95 JD 670 with a loader. My main reasons for purchasing is currently for snow removal around my current home and more all around yard maintenence including mowing as my wife and I purchase a larger land parcel (1-3) acres later this summer. Is $5800 a fair price for a unit with around 700 hours? Will this machine perform well for moving snow in Northeastern Pennsylvania? Are belly mowers are to find for this? There is not one included. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpm2384 View Post
    Hello all. I am in the market for a solid used compact tractor. I have zero experience in tractors beyond a common riding mower. I have passed on a Kubota B1550 but am currently looking at a 95 JD 670 with a loader. My main reasons for purchasing is currently for snow removal around my current home and more all around yard maintenence including mowing as my wife and I purchase a larger land parcel (1-3) acres later this summer. Is $5800 a fair price for a unit with around 700 hours? Will this machine perform well for moving snow in Northeastern Pennsylvania? Are belly mowers are to find for this? There is not one included. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    There are current owners of these machines that will be able to give far more details than I can but one item i would like to comment on. Go with a rear 3 point mounted finishing mower. Getting the deck on and off some of the older tractors can be a rear bear to deal with in my opinion.

Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    Here you go.

ColonyPark, BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I had pretty good luck purchasing a used CUT, but learned a few lessons along the way:
    1. Price may or may not be an indication of condition - I looked at a few tractors that were similar in price but condition varied widely. If it looks abused, it probably was.
    2. See if you can find a copy of the owners manual online. It may give you some hints of where to inspect. I think this is the one: Introduction
    3. Used tractors are normally in need of some repair. Some can be costly. Look for fluid leaks and check for excessive smoke. Tractor tires are not cheap. Hydraulic repairs can be costly depending on the component.
    4. Finding attachments that fit older tractors can be challenging; mounting hardware seems to go missing and is expensive if purchased from dealer. I see quite a few MMM for my 4200 that are missing the "lift kit."
    5. Options may also be difficult to find for example, extra hydraulics for my 4200 are listed as "NLA" - No Longer Available. Ebay and Craigslist can help if one is patient.
    6. One can learn about common issues with a particular model by searching the Internet. For example, its fairly common knowledge that my FEL cylinders will leak down and JD provides a different set of seals to repair them. Wish I'd known that - I might have used it to negotiate the price down.

I purchased a used front blade for snow - it works really well if one is patient and has enough rear ballast. And you might need chains. I've not tried a loader for snow removal, but some of my neighbors use one to do that.

Bottom line - I have no regrets purchasing a used tractor and would do it again. And, I've learned a lot about my tractor fixing the few minor items that needed attention. Note - they were minor but not necessarily cheap.

Here's a link to a few used ones for price comparison (you'll notice JD used the 670 model number for tractors and other items):
    TractorHouse.com | JOHN DEERE 670 For Sale - 23 Listings - Page 1.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAllen For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (03-18-2017), Gizmo2 (03-22-2017), Neb (03-19-2017)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    I have a 955 which is the same vintage as a 670 just hydro. It takes me about 10 minutes to take the Mid mount mower deck on and off. All four gauge wheels turn 90° and it just rolls right out.

We have a 955 at work as well with a 261 rear mount finish mower. I hate it. It's always shifting around when trying to get close to stuff.

While the attachments aren't quite as easy to take on and off as the new stuff. It isn't bad. And to me isn't worth all the extra $$ for the few times a year I change them.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    i would buy it,price is good if is a 4wd -you need it in PA winter
    Last edited by danmorea; 03-18-2017 at 09:08 PM.

10. Top | #7
    Neb
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Although my Deere 3320 has a mid-mount mowing deck, it did not come with the tractor when I bought it used, and it was pretty expensive to retrofit the mid PTO drive system and the lifting mechanism. If I had it to do again, I'd probably just keep my Woods rear mount finish mower. Although I can remove the deck in 5 minutes and install it in less than 10 minutes (on concrete), you really can't beat the convenience of dropping off a rear mount mowing deck in less than a minute. A mid mount deck will also reduce your ground clearance if you want to do some kind of loader work on rough ground.
    I certainly agree that, with a loader, the tractor needs to have 4wd.
    I also think that 700 hours is (IMHO) low. Of course you need to look it over carefully.

Good luck!
    BigJim55 and ky_shawn like this.
    2007 3320 with 300CX Loader
    Piranha tooth bar
    Ken's Hooks
    5' box blade
    Forks
    Greens-Machine 'thumb'
    Titan 42" forks
    7.5 foot Meyer truck plow, loader mounted w/Ken's crossover relief valve
    72" 7 iron mid mounted deck
    Kubota post auger
    X485 with 62" deck and Ken's seat spring upgrade

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Thanks
    Can't say much about the price but here are a few things to consider when buying your first tractor.

Don't get starry eyed about it. It may be in good shape and be a good price but there will always be another deal to come along.

A 670 is a manual transmission tractor. Not a big deal since tractors have had a manual gear since they were invented but a hydrostatic is much easier to operate for anyone (ie say the missus needs to use it to clear snow if you are gone for some reason). For a SCUT/CUT tractors they are the way to go.

It is a 20 year old tractor. You should be more concerned about condition than hours on it. Also, JD will eventually stop making repair parts for this tractor, if it hasn't already. With my experience JD provides repair parts for it's tractors for a long time but they will start dropping certain items as it gets older. For example, there are very few parts available for the 400 garden tractor anymore so if I need anything, I need to scour ebay and CL. I can still source all of my parts for my 2210 but it is 15 years old so not sure how much longer they will carry parts. Not sure how involved you want to get into tractor ownership.

It is only 18 hp and 16 pto rated hp. Again no big deal until you want attachments that require a PTO. You will have a very narrow field of attachments that will work with such a small PTO hp. All this means is your search may take a little longer and it may cost a little more (maybe less) to find what you want/need.

If you are getting 1-3 acres then consider either a used/new 1 series (or even 2210 or 2305 but they are not without some issues) or even a X7 series garden tractor. The new X7's do not come with an FEL anymore but there are aftermarket companies that still sell them for that size tractor.

Lastly try and get all of the attachments you need with the purchase, ie if you need a mower deck get a tractor that has it already. Trying to source a used can be a long and expensive process unless you luck on to something.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (03-22-2017)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements