1-series fender mounted lights - purpose?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 1-series fender mounted lights - purpose?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks

1-series fender mounted lights - purpose?

I haven't used my tractor after dark, because of the noise possibly disturbing neighbors. So I'm confused about the purpose of the fender mounted lights. What work might I be doing at night with the tractor where these lights would be useful? Thanks.
    Eckley Acres likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

Eckley Acres (03-20-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    06-22-2019 @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks

Mileage May Vary

The lights to me serve just as an overall side flood. When working in the dark doing anything with alot of light helps. Ups your operational and situational awareness. If your mowing lawn you can see your deck/chute, check your tires traction if your in a mess, or see whatever maybe in a blind spot better. These are fun toys but also serious enough to hurt or damage someone/something so any aid at night is better then non. Plus they keep JD in money if you rip one off and help the wife cause she's affraid of the dark.

I've ran mine a couple times in the pitch black and I wish I woulda had more.
    etcallhome, Tomfive, Levi and 7 others like this.
    2015 John Deere 1025R
    H120 Front End Loader
    54D Mid Mount Mower
    Frontier 48" Box Blade
    Woods 60" Grading Scraper
    Homemade Heavy Hitch
    Polar HD 1500 TA Cart

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    ...... I'm confused about the purpose of the fender mounted lights. What work might I be doing at night with the tractor where these lights would be useful? Thanks.
    I live in the middle of nowhere and am retired, so my concept of "time" is probably different than yours. I often plow or blow snow at night so I can use the driveway in the morning. I'm often outside in the evening in the late fall or early spring cutting or splitting wood. I use the bucket to haul it to the wood piles for stacking. Just because the sun is down that doesn't mean the work stops. I'd like it if the 1025r came with even more lights!
    etcallhome, Tomfive, Levi and 5 others like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

Minuteman17 (03-20-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    Late fall it gets dark around 4:30 which is much too early to put the tractor to bed. I used mine to fully illuminate the side of the house so I could finish installing siding. It did a far better job than the truck because I could point and turn the lights. I also specifically like to use them when parking the tractor in the garage; the loader often blocks the headlights while the fender lights greatly help. They also work great for snow blowing, when the chute blocks the headlights.

I plan on installing even more LED lighting on the ROPS, pointing both fore and aft.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

Minuteman17 (03-20-2017)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Thanks
    Sometimes you plow or blow snow at night to keep up with the snowfall. If you let it get too deep, clearing it can be much more difficult. You need the light to make sure you don't run into something solid with the plow or blower. It addition to the darkness, you may have a lot of snow coming down to block your view. The lighting helps. When I'm off my property and clearing the public road, the tractor's lighting is also important to make sure I'm seen by other drivers.

I've also mowed at night. Typically, it happens when I get started too late in the day and then I want to finish. The lighting is adequate to do a fine job of mowing, even with no other lighting than the tractor. Having done this a few times, I'll note that it is much cooler at night and you don't need sunscreen. Just know your neighbors' bedtimes.
    Tomfive, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I often use my 1026r for snow removal at night. Sometimes I pick up leaves or mow in the dark as work keeps me away from home during the daylight hours. The factory lights work well for mowing, but I added the light kit for snow removal.
    Tomfive, Levi, keane and 2 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-28-2019 @ 10:36 AM
    Thanks
    I have found the side lights best feature is they aren't blocked by the FEL when it is in the optimal position to move the tractor. I try not to work past 9PM to keep the neighbors from complaining but it is easy to work well into the dark in the fall months. When you are trying to scoop or level with the FEL or trying to sty in your tracks with the mower the side lights really help.

I have added a 120W light bar to my ROPS for forward work and two 65W rear facing for salt spreading and box blade work after dark. I can also rotate the 120W light bar to the rear and use it and the rear facing lights for working with the BH after dark. The additional LED lights mean I can dig well into the darkness and get done what needs to be done. At some point, the neighbors have to understand I only have so many hours in a day and things need to get done.
    Levi, keane, Drifterbike and 2 others like this.
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 973 Posts
    Good question RetiredDoc. I often snowblow early in the morning so that's when those fender lights earn their keep for me. As for waking up the neighbors, I have 2 whose voices, music, vehicles, and quite simply any noise they can make, could drown out the sound of my 1026R, so I don't worry about that. As for mowing, maybe once a season I get behind the 8 ball and need to finish up after dark. Funny you question the purpose of the lights, because I often question the need for all the extra lighting some folks add to their machines and up on the ROPS. I have no need for it. But, if it works for them, that's good enough for me.
    Levi, keane, Drifterbike and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    My 2016 F150 came with side flood lights mounted to the mirrors. When you're off road in the dark you want to see around you. When you pull into an area in the dark and, lets say you then have to back up while turning the wheel sharply one way or another, it helps to know if your front end might hit something while it's swing out of the spot.

So, when you're working in a tight area in the dark with the FEL on, some side lighting is helpful.
    Levi, Drifterbike and Robnik like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    If you really want to know how good or what they are good for all you have to do is go out after dark and turn on just the front lights, then turn on all the lights. Should answer your question. 'Course if you don't work at night then you don't need any lights unless you go on the road. Then the question would be, why are there any lights on the tractor?!
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast