Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Coupler disconnect

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks

Coupler disconnect

Had an alignment issue that I fixed with help from this forum, but you see the problem I have left in the pictures below. How do I get the coupler back together? They shouldn't be separated like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170328_185629_811.jpg IMG_20170328_185701_253.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    It looks broken, I wouldn't think the bearing should be separated like that from the housing. I would not engage the mid pto with it like that.

If there is one decision I will never regret...it was to not get the auto-connect.
    Gizmo2, coaltrain and Daveb like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Check out this thread, especially post #4, for a large break down of parts for the drive shaft.. I know that only answers half your question, but I have never taken one apart so I'm not sure how it's assembled. I went out and looked at mine. It looks like the bearing is pressed into the casting. Mine shows a couple of marks where some one staked the bearing in place...

Click image for larger version.

Name:	DSCF7835.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	336730

Name:	DSCF7834.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	336738

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post116949

I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Good luck.

And , it looks like you can get a bearing and housing assembly....

Name:	Captureshaft.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	336746
    Last edited by ErikR; 03-28-2017 at 09:48 PM.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Joe
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    Check out this thread, especially post #4, for a large break down of parts for the drive shaft.. I know that only answers half your question, but I have never taken one apart so I'm not sure how it's assembled. I went out and looked at mine. It looks like the bearing is pressed into the casting. Mine shows a couple of marks where some one staked the bearing in place...

Name:	DSCF7835.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	336730

Name:	DSCF7834.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	336738

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post116949

I'm sure someone will have an answer.

Good luck.

And , it looks like you can get a bearing and housing assembly....

Name:	Captureshaft.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	336746
    Remove the coupler from the tractor, use a vise or heavy block of wood, align the bearing in the coupler and tap in with a shop hammer. It's easy, I had to replace the coupler on mine a few years ago, you might want to stake it in a few spots as shown in the photo.

Joe
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks, guys

I knew this forum would get back to me pronto.

Joe, does the coupler disconnect at the u-joint, or do I need to take out the whole shaft? Also, how would I go about "staking" the coupler in place?

I have the local JD dealer looking into the price and availability of the coupler also.
    rtgt and BigJim55 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,495 Times in 1,607 Posts
    You have to disconnect from the tractor side. Pulled back on yoke and you should be able to pull the coupler from the driveshaft .

Wish you luck never had that happen to mine.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 09:36 AM
    Thanks
    Also, how would I go about "staking" the coupler in place?

In the picture you see two little dimples around the edge of the beering. These move the metal over to hold the beering in place. That is called "staking" you can use a punch or even a chisel to achieve this. It's an old time practice. At Farmall i used the corner of a chisel to do this on the front wheel hubs.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Thanks
    Looking at the picture in the linked post, it looks like the drive shaft is held in to the bearing assembly with a snap ring. I think in order to pull the shaft out of the assembly, you'd have to remove the snap ring first.

I'd take it all off the tractor to work on it. You won't know if something is broken without getting a good look at it. That whole deck lift assembly is removed by removing 4 pins.

Name:	DSCF7836 - Copy1.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	337106

If you plan to use the tractor for something before you get this fixed, I'd remove the adjustable turn buckles from the tractor and set them aside. But remember which side they came from and how they were positioned on the tractor. You don't want to turn the threaded portion into the base or the deck lift will go out of adjustment.

Name:	DSCF7837 - Copy.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	337114

Once it's off, you'll have a better idea of how much it needs to come apart in order to get the bearing back into the housing. If you have to remove the shaft, it should be just a matter of removing the snap ring, #5 in the parts picture...

Name:	DSCF7841.JPG
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	337130

...with something like this.

Name:	Capturesrp.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	337122

And getting the bearing staked back into the housing...

Good luck.

You might want to check with your dealer and see if your under warranty. They'd fix it up and if they had the deck, they could make sure everything is set up correctly. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the banging noises from your mulching kit experience.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

11. Top | #9
    Joe
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    Looking at the picture in the linked post, it looks like the drive shaft is held in to the bearing assembly with a snap ring. I think in order to pull the shaft out of the assembly, you'd have to remove the snap ring first.

I'd take it all off the tractor to work on it. You won't know if something is broken without getting a good look at it. That whole deck lift assembly is removed by removing 4 pins.

Name:	DSCF7836 - Copy1.JPG
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	337106

If you plan to use the tractor for something before you get this fixed, I'd remove the adjustable turn buckles from the tractor and set them aside. But remember which side they came from and how they were positioned on the tractor. You don't want to turn the threaded portion into the base or the deck lift will go out of adjustment.

Name:	DSCF7837 - Copy.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	337114

Once it's off, you'll have a better idea of how much it needs to come apart in order to get the bearing back into the housing. If you have to remove the shaft, it should be just a matter of removing the snap ring, #5 in the parts picture...

Name:	DSCF7841.JPG
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	337130

...with something like this.

Name:	Capturesrp.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	337122

And getting the bearing staked back into the housing...

Good luck.

You might want to check with your dealer and see if your under warranty. They'd fix it up and if they had the deck, they could make sure everything is set up correctly. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the banging noises from your mulching kit experience.
    A much easier way is to unbolt the four bolts on the straps, then uncouple from the tractor (just slide the locking ring forward and twist), now you will have the bearing support and drive shaft, align the bearing with the coupler and tap back into place. Note: Take note on how the four bolts are installed. Also if you separate the drive shaft note the position of the universal joints (might want to mare these so you get the indexing correct). Joe
    Levi, BigJim55 and romcjr like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for all the prompt replies. I'll probably fiddle with it this afternoon since this is the last chance to get the mowing done before the wedding reception in my back yard. Fortunately the grass isn't very high yet. And yes, this is definitely the source of the noise I was hearing - it had nothing to do with the mulch kit. What fooled me was the fact that I had connected and disconnected in the past without issue and the mower was working fine. I can't figure out how this happened since it appears to have been a hit from the back, and that has never happened. There is some wear on the u-joint behind the coupler where it must have been rubbing.

Forgive the newbie stuff, but this is new to me. What does "tapping" it back in to place mean? Is it really tapping, or am I going to have to give it a good pounding? And should I grease it before I start "tapping"? And what is a "shop hammer"?

Thanks again.
    etcallhome likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast