• 1 Post By OldmanX
  • 2 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: 2305 PTO won't shut off till warmed up

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-27-2017 @ 05:38 AM
    Thanks

2305 PTO won't shut off till warmed up

I have a 2008 2305 and recently I have found (whether mowing or using any other implement) that the PTO will not shut off. However after 20 minutes of using the tractor the PTO will start working correctly. I have checked and changed the PTO solenoid and the PTO switch and have serviced the machine at normal intervals. Everything else on the machine works correctly, I just can't seem to run down this one gremlin. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Is the pto slightly/slowly rotating until warm or is it fully engaged and working no differently than if you engaged it purposely?

Have you always engaged/disengaged the pto at low rpm's? The first thing that came to my mind was the pto brake/clutch
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 04-05-2017 at 10:05 AM.
    coaltrain and gbnpp05 like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    It does rotate slower and will stop with no problem if, for instance, I lower the tiller to the ground. I do not here any loss of engine RPM's or any other noises. However, if I lift the implement away from what ever is stopping it (the ground in this instance), it will still rotate.

I thought the PTO brake as well, however when the machine runs with PTO on for 15 or 20 minutes, everything works fine and the PTO stops normally.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    There is probably wear on the clutch but once warm everything expands and then things seem normal. I had a tractor do this for MANY hours then eventually I had another issue arise with a power steering leak that I poured in a product to control the leak, so happened that also helped with my pto spinning. Wasn't a fix by any means but was a bandaid that was still holding when I got rid of the tractor. I would suggest engaging/disengaging the pto at low rpm's to prevent the clutch/brake from wearing out prematurely. Isn't a cheap fix once the time comes it does have to be replaced.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 04-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    gbnpp05 likes this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advise, unfortunately the PTO brake is not easily accessible. Will probably have the shop take care of this one when the time comes. Parts don't appear to be expensive, but I am sure the labor will be.

Thanks again.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have no clue what the labor would run, I do know I ran the heck out of the tractor I had for a lot of hours with no issues. I always had the mind set if the engine would start, the tires turn, and the pto would in fact spin when I needed it to then life was good.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    I had an issue with my PTO not stopping when disengaged. Heat and/or run time did not affect it. The problem was caused by porosity in the transmission casting, allowing fluid to leak past the seal in the internal "cylinder" that pressurizes the brake. The fix was to replace my transmission housing.
    ky_shawn likes this.
    Jim

1025R...H120 loader w/53" bucket, Piranha tooth bar and Ken's BOH, psrumors seat springs, Frontier AP12F w/42" forks, 60D mower w/autoconnect, Frontier 647 tiller, Frontier SB1164 w/hyd. chute rotation and deflector linear actuator, Frontier ballast box, 72" County Line landscape rake, Fimco 40 gal 3 pt hitch sprayer, Paumco fork spade.

Toro Z Master, 60" deck and DFS collection system

orange dirt bikes, Yamaha Stratoliner and '68 Dart GTS...

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    I have seen a few low hr 2305s and also 1 series with a rotating pto when shutoff. My solution was a fluid change and a 2 hr run on the dyno. Cured the problem.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and ky_shawn like this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements