Green Tractor Talk banner

Factory filled engine oil 1025R

15K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  raco232 
#1 ·
15w40 plus-50 ll is what is factory filled with.

#2 ·
I understood it comes with John Deere Break-in oil I have some waiting for my 50hr oil change. I was told keep it in till 100 hours. :dunno::dunno:

Reactions: TJR345
#3 ·
Is this a question, or?

I understood it comes with John Deere Break-in oil I have some waiting for my 50hr oil change. I was told keep it in till 100 hours. :dunno::dunno:
It's my understanding that Deere filled them with a break in oil, 10w30 IIRC is what Deere offers in break in oil, not a xw40 wt.

Reactions: TJR345 and raco232
#7 ·
Sometimes people answering the phone at dealerships give out bad information.

The 1025R technical service manual specifies Break-In oil for the first 100 hours and warns NOT to use Plus-50 for the first 100 hours:

Text Font Line Number

#6 ·
A lot of people have disagreed with what I'm about to say but I change my oil every 50-75 hours which ends up being 2 times a year.For what I have invested in it 3 quarts and filter is cheap insurance.

#10 ·
I just changed my engine oil at 80 hours. I am not the slightest bit concerned if it had break-in oil in it or not. I used the regular JD oil (whatever they call it these days).
Like I said, not worried about it at all. If the motor has not been broken in by now, then I should have bought a different brand. But there is no doubt in my mind that it has been broken in just fine with the normal use that I have put it through (~30 hours loader work, ~40 hours backhoe work, ~10 hours driving around).

#11 ·
Oil threads....

Cars are filled with normal synthetic from the moment they are assembled and break in and work just fine.

I have no idea where JD is getting this idea of "break in" oil being necessary, and I would love to know what's different about it, I would bet virtually nothing.

Any clean oil of the right viscosity and certifications will work. I put 250K miles on a car using Wal-Mart oil and filters, and the motor was still tight. Don't believe the hype fellas.

#13 ·
I have no idea where JD is getting this idea of "break in" oil being necessary, and I would love to know what's different about it, I would bet virtually nothing.
Probably from the engineers and tribologists (it's a real word - look it up!) who know way more about this stuff than we do. The days of motor oil being just one of the medium-heavy fractions from distilling crude are long gone. The additives package has a lot of chemistry and precision engineering that goes into it.

Al

#15 ·
I just sent an email to John Deere asking them to confirm what type of oil was the tractor filled with at the factory, and when should it be changed. Mentioned the contradiction between the Owners Manual and Service Manual. I will post their response when I receive it.:unknown:

#16 ·
I just sent an email to John Deere asking them to confirm what type of oil was the tractor filled with at the factory, and when should it be changed. Mentioned the contradiction between the Owners Manual and Service Manual. I will post their response when I receive it.:unknown:
I would recommend sending multiple emails to multiple recipients that way you can average out the answers. ;-)

#18 ·
It is a bit remarkable to see how much of a debate the topic of oil can create. The OP has made two posts that really doesn't ask a question, both are simply statements. If only such a topic could put a stir into our law makers, nothing may ever get solved but by gosh they would at least be talking about it.

#20 ·
I changed my factory "break in" oil at 50 hours, and have changed my oil at that hour interval since, using the JD full syn diesel oil.

#23 ·
Most times asking the dealer for such advise is akin to asking a police officer what the law MEANS. In both cases most of them only know what they're told or what they believe-not the truth or the intent.

#24 ·
I believe whatever oil the machine comes from the factory with and "breaks in" with is "break in oil", be it "special, official break in oil" or regular stuff. The reading I did on the JD site convinced me that only the large diesels and RE-BUILT engines required official break in oil to lap in properly. It's all pretty vague as most JD stuff is.

I think by now IF there was a true need for break in special oil needed for 1XXX series tractors, the factory would have sent us all a warranty notification to protect themselves from legal liability and vast amounts of engine warranty service claims.*

*This would apply only in "The Real World" and not off-planet in "John Deere World". Remember how they handled the nonexistent "FBS" loader business?:laugh:

Reactions: BigJim55
#25 ·
Ok, I am hesitant to chime in here, but!!!
I think everyone should first know what "break in" oil is and why it is or is not used.

"Break in" oil has higher levels of zinc (ZDDP) in it, that is the only difference. So, why the extra zinc. The sole purpose for break in oil is to provide a layer of zinc on the camshaft lobes so the camshaft and lifters can break in. The interesting thing about breaking in a camshaft is, this is done when the engine is first started. It takes about 20 minutes of running the engine at the first start up for the camshaft to break in. Engines with flat tappet camshafts are generally assembled with assembly lube (ZDDP) applied to the camshaft lobes when it is assembled. This assembly lube provides the extra layer of zinc on lobes so the camshaft can break in. After the engines initial run, the camshaft is already broken in. At this point, the initial oil is drained and new oil is refilled in the engine. At this point, some manufacturers refill with break in oil, some do not.

Break in oil has absolutely nothing to do with any other part of the engine other than the camshaft and lifters. The theory of break in oil assisting in breaking in piston rings is not accurate.

So, some engine manufacturers fill the engine with break in oil until the first oil change, some do not. The break in oil provides this continued higher level of zinc in the engine until the first oil change. There are mixed opinions as to the value of break in oil since the camshaft is already broken in after about 20 minutes of running which happened on the engine dyno when it was first built.

So, does Yanmar use "break in" oil. JD says the engines are shipped with 15w-40 Plus 50 (I checked), but honestly, it really doesn't matter. At the first oil change, whether you do it at 50 hours, annually or 200 hours, the camshaft has long been broken in. So, at this oil change, you can put 15w-40 JD Plus 50 or any other API Class CH or higher oil. Refilling with break in oil at this point is doing nothing internally in the engine. Now, that said, if it makes you feel better to refill the engine with break in oil, it will not hurt anything because, again, the only difference is the ZDDP.

IMHO, it is so much more important to use a high quality oil (pick one) and change it regularly, based on the manufacturers recommendations.
Most engine problems do not occur because of the oil that was used. Engine failures happen mostly from: not changing the oil regularly, low oil level, starting the engine and increasing the RPM instantly before the oil has a chance to get through the engine, shutting the engine done without leaving it idle for a few seconds first and overheating. :good2:

#26 · (Edited)
Very informative explanation Ray.:good2: When I asked my JD dealer about getting the break in oil out at 50 hours, I was pretty much told this same thing.

#27 ·
Your dealer was correct. Refilling with break in oil is not necessary.
I really do not know why the JD 1025R tech manual has that note in it. As others have said, probably something that was cut and pasted from another manual.
I do know this, the OEM operators manual that is supplied with every tractor has nothing in it pertaining to "break in" oil. Since this is the official manual that comes with every tractor and also has all the oil specs and service intervals, this would be the official manual to go by for servicing and warranty purposes.

Reactions: HydroHarold
#29 ·
I have absolutely no faith whatsoever with the "so called" owners manual. There are discrepancies and conflicting information throughout. JD needs to go back to the drawing board and completely rethink their owner manuals. I feel the tech manual is the best source of information.

#30 ·
I went ahead and refilled it with the break in oil at 50 hours. I did it just to be "safe." But at 100 hours and every 50 hours thereafter I will you use normal oil. I've always had great results with Valvoline oil in all of my vehicles so I will probably use that in the tractor.

#31 ·
Ray_PA said it best. Coming from a racing back ground, my mechanics changed our oil regularly, not at all based on hours. Once our engines had x-amount of run time, which wasn't much, the oil was swapped out. Never had a failure. These oil debates are worthless. If you run your tractor for a season of 50-100 hours, change it. I change mine at every season end. I have never had an engine fail in anything I own. My Harley's ran hard without failure. My racing bikes the same. I have owned a dozen JD's and never had an engine issue. Some of those tractors have thousands of hours. Their oil gets changed yearly. Bottom line--take care of your equipment and it will take care of you.

#32 ·
Well as promised, I received a response today from John Deere regarding the conflict in the manuals, and which oil is used at the factory. Without further suspense here is the response :

"Given the technical nature of your inquiry, we recommend that you contact your local John Deere dealer for assistance. Our dealers are specially trained in the area of technical support and would highly regret providing incorrect information. If you need assistance in locating dealers in your area, please click the link below:
Dealer Locator

Thank you,

Sadie
John Deere Customer Contact Center
Turf and Utility Products
USA/Canada

:unknown::banghead:

#33 ·
Are you kidding me!!
What good is having a Customer Contact Center.:unknown:

#36 ·
Just for GP and to get a response from the dealer I did forward that JD response email to my dealer. My personal plan is to drain whatever type oil is in the engine when I hit my annual maintenance and replace with PLUS-50 SAE 15W-40 and new filter. Just would like to see JD step up to the plate when a customer has a question / concern with information that they publish. If I get a response from the dealer I will post when received.:munch:

#38 ·
Just received a pretty quick response from my dealer posted below:

"It did have break in oil in it you should change it at 100 hrs and put 15/40 oil in it"

#42 ·
#40 ·
My recent experience working in a Diesel truck engine plant was we filled and tested engine. We pulled the screen out of the engine module after hot test. Oil stayed on through truck assembly with first change of filter and centrifugal modular at 45k miles.

#41 ·
I just did my first oil change at 87 hours, the original oil was dark, but looked very free of any metal particles. I put some in a glass measuring cup and held it up in the sunlight, no "glitter" at all. New filter and filled it with the JD Plus 50 15W-40.

Reactions: DRobinson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.