Draining and flushing coolant without making a mess?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Draining and flushing coolant without making a mess?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks

Draining and flushing coolant without making a mess?

Has anyone come up with a good way to drain and flush the coolant on your 1025r without making a big mess?

Thanks!
    ----
    1025R, H120 Loader, 60D mmm, RC2048 rotary cutter, 54" snowblower, iMatch, ballast box

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Thanks
    I learned a trick on a snowmobile forum that worked remarkably well on my liquid-cooled snowmobile when I needed to rebuild the water pump....

Shop Vac. Pulled one of the larger hoses off and put the hose of a 5 gallon wet/dry vac onto it, sucked all of the antifreeze right out, you could feel the air sucking into the cylinder head. I've never tried it on a tractor, but it really worked on a snowmobile.
    Tomfive, rtgt, ensign and 2 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    I have a pretty big pan for when I drain the hydro. I did this yesterday. Placed Pan underneath the front, opened the radiator pet cock and drained it. Looked underneath and shifted the pan a bit. Installed petcock and fluid. Same for block plug. Hosed rig down and that was the end of it. No mess at all.
    rtgt, ensign and PJR832 like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 01:35 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I have a pretty big pan for when I drain the hydro. I did this yesterday. Placed Pan underneath the front, opened the radiator pet cock and drained it. Looked underneath and shifted the pan a bit. Installed petcock and fluid. Same for block plug. Hosed rig down and that was the end of it. No mess at all.
    I guess it's the hosing part that I find to be a mess.

I was even using two drain pans and still felt too much ended up on the floor of the garage.
    rtgt likes this.
    ----
    1025R, H120 Loader, 60D mmm, RC2048 rotary cutter, 54" snowblower, iMatch, ballast box

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ensign View Post
    I guess it's the hosing part that I find to be a mess.

I was even using two drain pans and still felt too much ended up on the floor of the garage.
    The same here. It is not the draining, it is the flushing that makes the mess. I always try to do mine in the summer, so I can just push it outside to do the flush and back flush.

I was smart when I built the new home with the 28 x 70 attached garage/workshop. I installed a trough style grated floor drain that runs the entire length of the shop about 2' in from the overhead doors. The other side is graded towards it the entire 25'. So at least the flush water flows to the drain and it is easy to squeegee off. None the less, we do attempt to collect and properly dispose of as much of the used anti-freeze as possible.

When I was a boy, my father had a friend that owned an automatic transmission shop. The owner took a bit of a shine to me, an allowed me to work on my snowmobile in his shop, after hours. I learned very quickly how to work without making a mess because if there was one thing out of place in that shop the next morning or evidence of a spill on the floor, I was in for verbal chewing out of no equal. As I became a teenager and had the muscle cars (I still have my high school car, '70 Charger R/T w/440-6pk), the amount of after hours activities in his shop reached epic proportions. To this day, I strive to maintain a tidy work environment.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Ethylene glycol is highly toxic to four legged critters. Two legged ones as well, though I haven't licked anything off the ground since college. It tastes sweet to them, so make sure you clean up well if you have any pets.

Al

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    The port on the side of the engine is the problem. Draining the radiator is pretty easy to do without the mess.

I tried putting a funnel with a long hose in front of the side port. But the plug fell into the narrow part of the funnel and it filled up. I put absorbent pet pads all around underneath. Then the wind picked up.

I'm not convinced it can be done without some mess. No matter how much I plan to avoid mess on this job, I still get some. I did find a great absorbent that really helps in the cleanup. SEE THIS LINK.
    ensign and PJR832 like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    The port on the side of the engine is the problem. Draining the radiator is pretty easy to do without the mess.

I tried putting a funnel with a long hose in front of the side port. But the plug fell into the narrow part of the funnel and it filled up. I put absorbent pet pads all around underneath. Then the wind picked up.

I'm not convinced it can be done without some mess. No matter how much I plan to avoid mess on this job, I still get some. I did find a great absorbent that really helps in the cleanup. SEE THIS LINK.
    I put that large pan on underneath the side and removed the plug after draining from the radiator petcock. It ran down into the pan. I than wiped down the side and wiped down the area near the radiator petcock. After refilling, pulled tractor out of shop a gave a rinse to front are and side with hose. Very very little had to be washed off. I didn't flush beacause my machine is only a year old. I changed coolant because of I topped it off with"any 50/50" based on dealers advice. So making a mess and polluting the environment was not an issue.

I thought about getting a fitting that goes from petcock thread to hose and block drain plug to hose for flushing. It was so easy, I will probably change coolant once a year and never have to flush.
    ensign and PJR832 like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Go to the dollar store and buy one of those blue kiddie pools. Saw some for 5$ recently. They sell a 40" and a 72".
    Raise the front end with the Fel. Slide the pool under the wheels or straddle with the 40". Lower. Flush away!
    Screw it to the garage ceiling so the grandkids can't use it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11092557-large.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	775.0 KB 
ID:	346298
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulitt For This Useful Post:

DannGerous667 (04-15-2017)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    This thread is a little old but seems those who have replied to the thread have done coolant change on a 1025r. My question is how do I do it? I know where the radiator drain (petcock) is, but it seems I need to remove the battery and the tray it sits on in order to drain the valve. Then there's the block drain plug. Where the heck is it? I have the block heater in my 1025r so I hope that I don't have to remove it, which seems like a bad idea to me. Just asking for a leak.

My 1025r is five years old this month and I've never changed the coolant. I've had to top off the coolant reservior when I got my tractor because it was a bit low so I have the jug of John Deere Coolguard ready to go. Just can't figure out what I need to remove to be able to drain the radiator.
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast