Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 1025r Box Blade Pulling Power?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-19-2019 @ 08:10 PM
    Thanks

1025r Box Blade Pulling Power?

I ordered 5 yards to loam today to fill the low spots in my yard. I went through the 5 yards and still have some spots left. I was just going to use a box blade and take down the high spots. I’m trying to make it as smooth as possible.

Last year I tilled everything up and seems like some spots heaved/settled pretty good from the winter. The difference in height is probably about 1-2 inches.

I’m wondering will the 1025r have enough pulling power to be able to do this if I use a 54” Box Blade or should I stick to the 48”? The yard is still soft from all the rain and snow melting but I'm guessing after next week it will be time to start cutting the grass.

I attempted to use the front bucket today to do this and I defiantly don’t have the hours/skill to be able to have it come out as I want.

Also I have turfs so I feel that I may loose traction but plan on using 4wd and also do have chains I could put on the back tires.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Depending on how soft it is and you are afraid of the tires slipping I would use the smaller box. I wouldn't want to put chains on as they can dig up parts of the yard you don't want to regrade or have the chains get packed with dirt or grass clumps and make a mess. I have a 48 inch box for my 1025 and as long as your are just taking off a few inches I don't see why you would need chains just for those few inches. I have to do the same thing to my yard but mine is mostly filling in the areas that settled. I raised almost half of my yard last year and I knew I would have to bring in some good clean fill. You mentioned you didn't have the skill to use the FEL but with practice it will come. You can always try using your FEL on a area to start with and then use the BB to finish it. The leveler on your tractor is your friend for digging and back dragging. Start with it level and just slightly tilt it to start digging your high spots. You are basically skimming the surface to take off a inch. Once you get it down to where you want it or slightly lower dump your excess and then back drag your pile across to fill in and make level. Same concept when back dragging. Just some tips I use when using FEL. Either way being in 4x4 will help tremendously and I only use 2 wheel on mine when mowing or cruising between my house and the neighbors. Good luck and post pics. We all love pics on here. Lol
    OxPath likes this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

Superglidesport (04-13-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    I've filled up my 48" box blade with dirt and gravel and it was having a hard time moving it in 4wd and Low range. It did it, but I think the bigger may be overkill if you filled in the box all the way.
    2016 John Deere 1025R TLB, 60" Autoconnect Deck, iMatch, 48" Box Blade.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    This has been discussed many times. lots of info here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ion-1025r.html
    here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...per-1025r.html
    here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ade-1025r.html
    and here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-question.html

You will find several more threads about 1 series tractors and implement sizing using the site search
    OCFX4 likes this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post
    Depending on how soft it is and you are afraid of the tires slipping I would use the smaller box. I wouldn't want to put chains on as they can dig up parts of the yard you don't want to regrade or have the chains get packed with dirt or grass clumps and make a mess. I have a 48 inch box for my 1025 and as long as your are just taking off a few inches I don't see why you would need chains just for those few inches. I have to do the same thing to my yard but mine is mostly filling in the areas that settled. I raised almost half of my yard last year and I knew I would have to bring in some good clean fill. You mentioned you didn't have the skill to use the FEL but with practice it will come. You can always try using your FEL on a area to start with and then use the BB to finish it. The leveler on your tractor is your friend for digging and back dragging. Start with it level and just slightly tilt it to start digging your high spots. You are basically skimming the surface to take off a inch. Once you get it down to where you want it or slightly lower dump your excess and then back drag your pile across to fill in and make level. Same concept when back dragging. Just some tips I use when using FEL. Either way being in 4x4 will help tremendously and I only use 2 wheel on mine when mowing or cruising between my house and the neighbors. Good luck and post pics. We all love pics on here. Lol

Great thanks! I was able to back blade no problem and it turned out well just have to use the front more often oh also it's a little tricky with irrigation heads too. I've gotten quite good at replacing those! I'll post some pictures in the morning.
    wentonbrown likes this.
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jhays View Post
    I've filled up my 48" box blade with dirt and gravel and it was having a hard time moving it in 4wd and Low range. It did it, but I think the bigger may be overkill if you filled in the box all the way.
    Good to know I'll stick to the 48 too bad everywhere around me wants over 1k for the Frontier model... they say they don't sell many so they would have to order it. I wonder why!
    2017 JD X570 48”

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    This has been discussed many times. lots of info here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ion-1025r.html
    here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...per-1025r.html
    here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ade-1025r.html
    and here
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-question.html

You will find several more threads about 1 series tractors and implement sizing using the site search

Thanks I think I've seen a bunch of driveway related ones from searching the past few days but given my lawn I can not use the rippers only the blade part. If you do a search in google with this at the end site:www.greentractortalk.com it will give you hits as well but lets you organize it by date or however you want to find the info needed. Too bad the custom one can't do that from the forum as it's helpful if your looking for something that is a newer model or older or such
    2017 JD X570 48”

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 48" and a 60" bush hog box blade. I used both of them non stop when I cleared about an acre and 1/2. For really using the BB in all its capacities, the 4 footer is a better fit. had to go a little easier with the 60" or it would bog down the rig. The 60" was nicer for finish work, eg: front tilted up for smoothing, front titled down to take light shaves etc. I would think a 54" would also be a nice fit. I posted some pics of the land I'm "polish grading, now.
    Winter83 likes this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Firemark For This Useful Post:

Winter83 (04-14-2017)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:19 PM
    Thanks
    I started with a 60" box blade. Yes, when it was full it would stop the tractor, half full - no problem. I replaced it with a 54" because the 60" was not Quick Hitch compatible.

The width that the blade covers is more important to me than being able to drag it around full up. I would expect that there is not much difference in the volume of material that you can move between the different sizes, one will just appear more full than the other, but the larger one covers more ground.
    Winter83 and Firemark like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter83 View Post
    Good to know I'll stick to the 48 too bad everywhere around me wants over 1k for the Frontier model... they say they don't sell many so they would have to order it. I wonder why!
    They are expensive! I got lucky and found mine on Craigslist in a different state. He had just posted it. Maybe yo can find one too. Hebought it to build a play park on property he didn't own and then couldn't and he didn't need it for his place so he sold it to me for 600! I scored because he was a fellow veteran and he wanted it gone! So I will send you good vibes on you getting one for a deal! Oh I wanted to ask if you had the sprinklers off when you hit them or did you get a free shower? Lol Have a good one!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wentonbrown For This Useful Post:

Winter83 (04-14-2017)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast