Bad mmm height cam?

Thread: Bad mmm height cam?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks

Bad mmm height cam?

In the video, you see (hear) me raise the deck (electric lift), set the height and then release the switch (you can hear the pitch of the engine change when raising/lowering the mmm). At that point, the cam turns to a much lower setting all by itself, repeatedly. In the last 20 seconds of the video, I tried to demonstrate how it drops even lower while mowing, but I couldn't get it to do that this time. My wife was the first to experience this problem when she mowed the yard for the first time on the new tractor. She was NOT impressed. I'm not allowed to mow the yard because I leave "too many swirly marks", so I'm confined to mowing the woods and the pasture fields.

My dealer (Findlay Implement - they're really great guys) looked at it and ordered a new cam. When I took it back for the repair, they said that upon disassembly, they found that another part (not sure what part yet, but I will find out) was worn and ordered that part as well. I'm supposed to pick it up today (Sat., Nov. 2nd). I can't imagine that a part is worn out after only 65 hours of use, but maybe it was just defective to begin with.

When I first test drove the tractor, it didn't even have a mower on it, but it had a height knob that was very hard to turn. I actually had to use two hands to turn it. I pointed that out when I returned with it to have the mower installed and purchase it. They made some adjustments and from that point on, it has turned as easily as all the other 1025's I had tested it against.

Is anyone else having this this type of issue with the electric lift?

I'll test it out and repost when the results are in.

Because so many folks have a hard time with their auto-connect mmm's, I wanted to go on record as saying that my auto-connect 60D mmm works as intended whether I connect/disconnect in gravel, grass or concrete. Sometimes I have to engage it a little aggressively, but for all intents and purposes, The techs at Findlay Implement nailed the setup.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:00 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think this is due to the electric over hydraulic lift as there is nothing there to cause the issue.

The only thing I can think is the linkage catch, the stepped piece that actually catches the deck at set height has broken.

Will be interested to see what the DR says.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    I don't think this is due to the electric over hydraulic lift as there is nothing there to cause the issue.

The only thing I can think is the linkage catch, the stepped piece that actually catches the deck at set height has broken.

Will be interested to see what the DR says.
    I agree. The problem is with the cam and follower, not the hydraulic lift. Keep us informed.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks

Wait and see.

Since I hadn't heard from my dealer, I stopped in to see what was going on about an hour before closing time today,,, trailer in tow. When I dropped it off on Wednesday, I told them there was no hurry. After saying that, I thought to myself, when one of my customers drops off their car or truck and says "No hurry". I usually jokingly reply, "Never tell a mechanic no hurry". Well, needless to say, it wasn't ready. Looking through the glass, I could see the technician out in the shop, laying on the concrete floor working on it. I wanted to walk out and take a look, but as a shop owner, I know how much I dislike customers walking into the work area, interrupting the technicians and distracting their train of thought. My service advisor, Neil, said that they were having an issue with the new part and were considering re-machining it. I'm not at all opposed to redesigning a part. I've done this for years myself, as a master automotive technician, but I sure hope I get my machine back, soon.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myasis Dragon For This Useful Post:

XSKIER (11-04-2013)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    It doesn't sound like this issue is all that common or is it? Did your dealer have any comments on the issue itself? I'm hoping to buy a 60D this spring so I've been keeping an eye on issues that pop up so I know what to expect and/or if there are any deal breakers.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 05:51 AM
    Thanks
    Hey dragon, I really feel for ya. I can't stand it when one of my "vehicles" is in the shop. I know enough about the repair to be nervous, but not enough to do it myself.
    '11 1026R

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

More to come...

When I stopped in to pick up my 1025 tonight, I ran into Neil, my service advisor, sitting in a XUV trying to figure out the best place to add a rearview mirror. We talked "shop" and of course, I gave him my input on where a driver would like the mirror planted. It was just a few minutes before closing time and as a result, I completely forgot to ask what they ended up doing with my tractor. I was just happy to get my machine back. I'll call Neil tomorrow (Tues) and get the full rundown.

When I got home, I test drove the mower (in the dark) on rough terrain and it held the height like it did when it was new. So, whatever they ended up doing seems to be working, for the moment.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    To finish this thread, I never did find out what other part was replaced, but mention was made of a "washer". I asked today, several months later, and they don't remember. My bad for not following through better.

Jon
    Just call me Jon, not Myasis Dragon (Hint: My a** is draggin') 2013 1025r FILB (Factory installed loader & Backhoe - 260 & H120), 60D mower w/electric over hydraulic (independent) lift, R4 tires, psrumor's seat springs, Kenny D's bolt-on hooks, bxpanded piranha tooth bar on a 49" bucket and a 61" bucket for snow and light material, County Line post hole digger, County Line landscape rake, counterfeit JD box scraper, homemade 4' x 8' farm wagon, Fimco 30 gallon 3ph sprayer.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-14-2017 @ 10:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,061 Times in 672 Posts

My Guess

My 2 cents, it is item 14 the spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MP43728________UN08SEP10.jpg  
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements