• 1 Post By mn1025rfilb
  • 2 Post By dieselshadow

Thread: Talk of exhausts has me wondering... Spark Arrestors

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-22-2019 @ 11:05 PM
    Thanks

Talk of exhausts has me wondering... Spark Arrestors

I'm not too familiar with diesels or emissions but was reading through some posts about exhausts and it got me wondering about if my tractor should have a spark arrestor for the dry season. I see JD sells a tip for them and was curious if anyone has experience with needing one, put one on for brush hogging, or they are just to meet a weird state/federal rule if they(these tractors) were to be used on protected lands by government employees.

I know the cost of fires is huge, so I was wondering if these machines are truly a danger? I've seen smoke roll but never any sparks.
    2015 John Deere 1025R
    H120 Front End Loader
    54D Mid Mount Mower
    Frontier 48" Box Blade
    Woods 60" Grading Scraper
    Homemade Heavy Hitch
    Polar HD 1500 TA Cart

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    So working on the Railroad for 32 yrs, some Locomotives would often set miles of fires. Usually a loco that was throwing large chunks of burning carbon for some reason? In areas prone to fires we would assign locos with turbos and that would stop the issue. Apparently the carbon would be reduced to soot by the turbo impeller's.

Believe Railroad fuel is probably a cheaper grade than the diesel we are running. However, it would be cheap insurance to install an arrestor. Idling for long periods is never a good idea.
    Last year in Western NC we had massive fires. Had to wear a mask to be outside.

What makes me really nervous is operating through heavy leaves and high brush with the hot exhaust pipe so close to the ground. I was picking up leaves with a riding mower several years ago and leaves built up under the machine and caught on fire.

The whole regen cycle on the bigger diesels would give me pause for concern when the soot starts burning off during a cycle? Don't know much about it and probably JD has precautions in place? Someone know?

I am by no means an expert on this subject, but seems like a smart idea to install one. The kit for my 2305 is 26$-a no brainer.
    Many states require them unless you are using the machine on a "watered lawn"?
    If your tractor was bought out of state or produced for use in a state that doesn't require one and you are using it in a different state- it may be out of compliance?
    Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Bulitt; 04-21-2017 at 02:21 AM.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulitt For This Useful Post:

whiteasian (04-21-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:53 PM
    Thanks
    There are no sparks in a diesel engine, Its uses compression...I don't know how you would ever have the exhaust start a fire...The glow plugs do not spark either they just heat up, so only something in contact with them burn, like the fuel.
    Last edited by chex313; 04-23-2017 at 04:37 PM.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    There are no sparks in a diesel engine, Its uses compression...I don't know how you would ever have the exhaust start a fire...The glow plugs do not spark either they just heat up, so only something in contact with them burn, like the fuel.
    Not sure if joking or not but spark arrestors have nothing to so with how an internal combustion engine is fired. It stops (arrests) any sparks that may emanate from the short exhaust of vehicles. These sparks can be from buildup in mufflers etc. and other causes.

They are mandatory on many off road vehicles as many many fires have been started by exhaust sparks (embers) over the years.
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 04-23-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:24 AM
    Thanks
    ATVs, dirtbikes, etc off road vehicles all have spark arrestors, if you do a lot of work in very dry brush it would probably give you some piece of mind.

Never been a thought for me since I don't live in an area with wild fires.

9. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Diesels can absolutely emit sparks. If anyone has seen an old Cat that has some buildup in the exhaust and then worked hard, you'll see plenty of sparks going up at high rates of speed. It's a cool sight, but it makes the forestry guys nervous.
    HydroHarold and johnH123 like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:39 PM
    Thanks
    I'd be more worried of the high heat from regen in the over 25hp tractors...
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements