Sidewalk snow removal conundrum. X series vs 1 series.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Sidewalk snow removal conundrum. X series vs 1 series.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-15-2018 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks

Sidewalk snow removal conundrum. X series vs 1 series.

I m in the early stages of shopping for an additional sidewalk snow removal tractor. I currently have a 4115 with a 47" blower--more on this in an additional post. I m looking to buy a machine that can run the 47" blower with a drop salter on three point and can have a cab but is shorter and more nimble than the 4115 but not sacrificing too much in the power department.

My first inclination was a 1025r, but the turning radius is very similar to my 4115 and it lacks split brakes. I did some looking into an x739 aws, but my dealer tells me don't do it--not diesel, and too many moving parts to get in the salt. He suggested an x758 which is basically a stripped down 1025r. I m not finding good comparative data as far as turning radius between the two machines. Based on JD's website the x758 turns almost like the AWS which I find hard to believe. The 1025r now has the new drop on cab option and the money is pretty close to the same.

This machine might mow my home lawn in the summer and maybe aerate in the fall--I m not sure what 3 PT aerator would work on either of these choices. Winter is the primary concern--nimble power with minimum machine length. Thoughts?
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    2004 JD 4115 w/ loader, 60" mmm, 47" snowblower, SnowEx SD600, LandPride CA2560
    2015 JD 4066r w/ loader, Normand 82-260 HINV snowblower
    2000 JD 5410 w/ loader, Normand 92-280 HINV snowblower
    2005 JD 6320 w/ loader, Normand 92-280 HINV snowblower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 05:21 AM
    Thanks
    First of all: welcome to GTT. I'm sorry, but I've no experiences in snow removal, we have seldom, very seldom, snow here...
    LANZ D 1906 | John Deere LANZ 510 | John Deere 112 | John Deere 3120 | John Deere CR 125 | Gator XUV 550 | 18S Cart | Güldner AZK

Wolfgang Gustav, regards from beyond the pond!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    I use a Meyer BL240 behind my 1025R and it works very well. I see in your signature you seem to have a blower for everything. I use a 60" blade on mine and I am very happy with it. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    This is posted in a previous post on GTT.
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...html#post99142
    Tractor data has the 1025r turning radius at 2.25 feet and the x758 at 2.08 feet.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, Levi and 2 others like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowblowVT View Post
    I m in the early stages of shopping for an additional sidewalk snow removal tractor. I currently have a 4115 with a 47" blower--more on this in an additional post. I m looking to buy a machine that can run the 47" blower with a drop salter on three point and can have a cab but is shorter and more nimble than the 4115 but not sacrificing too much in the power department.

My first inclination was a 1025r, but the turning radius is very similar to my 4115 and it lacks split brakes. I did some looking into an x739 aws, but my dealer tells me don't do it--not diesel, and too many moving parts to get in the salt. He suggested an x758 which is basically a stripped down 1025r. I m not finding good comparative data as far as turning radius between the two machines. Based on JD's website the x758 turns almost like the AWS which I find hard to believe. The 1025r now has the new drop on cab option and the money is pretty close to the same.

This machine might mow my home lawn in the summer and maybe aerate in the fall--I m not sure what 3 PT aerator would work on either of these choices. Winter is the primary concern--nimble power with minimum machine length. Thoughts?
    The 3 point is standard equipment on the 1025R and about a $900 plus up charge on the x7xx series. Plus the x7xx series will require a rear PTO addition, which is about another $800 to $1,000 depending upon labor costs, pricing, etc. Having the rear PTO and 3 point hitch standard equipment on the 1025R gives it a real price advantage over the x7xx when one has a need for these functional items. If mowing is the primary function, then the x7xx is a great machine. But when you have a need for a FEL and a rear PTO and 3 point hitch, then the 1 series is a great value.

The Yanmar diesel is a great engine and comes in both the X758 or other diesel models and the 1 series. I personally have used both the Gas engines and the Yanmar and would ONLY own the Yanmar, given the choice. The engine torque is better on the diesel and torque is precisely what you need to run the PTO to operate the snowblowers. Plus the engine efficiency and extended life of the diesel make it worth the additional initial purchase cost. If you were to resell the tractor with the diesel, you will recoup the extra cost initially spent to upgrade to the diesel. Overall, I would stick with the diesel engine when given the choice.

Perhaps you can elaborate on the "turning issue" you mention. Do you have lot's of 90 degree corners in the sidewalk? Please explain the turning issues you are dealing with....and the ideal solution for your needs.

The 1 series is a better value with the rear PTO, 4 wheel drive and 3 point hitch all standard, where these are all up charges on the X7xx series. The cab options on the 1 series are more varied and you can select anything from a $800 soft sided cab with no options all the way up to the $5,800 glass cab with heat and front and rear wipers and other valuable options.

I have plowed and blown snow for 20 years using a 455 diesel, which is the predecessor to the x7xx series. I find it's ability to maneuver easily and in tight areas makes it's operating efficiency very good. However, because of the need for the rear PTO for a salt spreader and the 3 point hitch, along with the 4 wheel drive options and the front end loader, I am going to be switching to the 1025R soon.

I don't think you are going to find split brakes on anything hydrostatic driven which is green in color and it's going to be difficult to find a new(er) SCUT in the color green which isn't hydro statically driven. While the split brakes are ideal for 180 to 360 degree "spinning" it's also hard on the surface where you are locking the inside wheel to make the turn. In a field, I wouldn't and haven't given it a second thought, but I wouldn't want the tire scuffing on pavement nor risk turning up gravel, etc. in a driveway when blowing snow just because it's likely to result in putting those loosened items through the blower, which has risks of it own.

Any 3 point aerator which will fit the category 0 three point will work. There are extensive threads on this site about the numerous aerators sold by various manufacturers which a quick search in the GTT search bar will bring to the forefront for you to review.

Welcome to the GTT site. There are a lot of really fine people on this site and a few of the rest of us..............
    etcallhome, chex313, Levi and 8 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 1026r with the 54" blower. The 1025 is basically the same tractor. While my set up works well I wouldn't want any less hp on the 54" blower when dealing with heavy wet snow.
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    I was in a similar situation as you and echo much of what SulleyBear posted. I sought to move to something with AWD or MFWD to gain some added pulling power on the front wheels. With so many attachments, that is where a lot of the weight ends up, including a snow thrower. Having been a 455 AWS owner for many years, I also desired to retain AWS and, of course the diesel. So that lead me in search of an x749, which, of course, JD discontinued in 2012. So I had been looking for a low hour used unit for over a year and with a cab, as nobody manufactures a hard side cab for that tractor any longer, either.

Well, when I did find one, which was rare, they were well north of $10K and weren't on the market long. So I dropped the idea of a cab, still north of $10K equipped with just a mower deck. I started doing the math to add the 3-point and the rear PTO. I was within just a few dollars of a comparably equipped new 1025R.

So it was a compromise. The 1025R does corner very sharply. In fact, I'm pretty confident the angle the front wheels can achieve is much greater than my 455s. I believe the increased turning radius is more related to the increased wheelbase length. That is one of the things I like about the 1025R, the increased wheelbase yields a much roomier operator station, which is more comfortable and easier to climb on/off. So that is a big plus I hadn't considered when I "compromised' from an x749.
    etcallhome, chex313, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

further explanation

see further info in quote in red

Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    The 3 point is standard equipment on the 1025R and about a $900 plus up charge on the x7xx series. Plus the x7xx series will require a rear PTO addition, which is about another $800 to $1,000 depending upon labor costs, pricing, etc. Having the rear PTO and 3 point hitch standard equipment on the 1025R gives it a real price advantage over the x7xx when one has a need for these functional items. If mowing is the primary function, then the x7xx is a great machine. But when you have a need for a FEL and a rear PTO and 3 point hitch, then the 1 series is a great value.

The Yanmar diesel is a great engine and comes in both the X758 or other diesel models and the 1 series. I personally have used both the Gas engines and the Yanmar and would ONLY own the Yanmar, given the choice. The engine torque is better on the diesel and torque is precisely what you need to run the PTO to operate the snowblowers. Plus the engine efficiency and extended life of the diesel make it worth the additional initial purchase cost. If you were to resell the tractor with the diesel, you will recoup the extra cost initially spent to upgrade to the diesel. Overall, I would stick with the diesel engine when given the choice.

Perhaps you can elaborate on the "turning issue" you mention. Do you have lot's of 90 degree corners in the sidewalk? Please explain the turning issues you are deali<script id="gpt-impl-0.25382010334954163" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_115.js"></script>ng with....and the ideal solution for your needs. Many 90 degree corners and several locations have sidewalks that have obstacles to maneuver around

The 1 series is a better value with the rear PTO, 4 wheel drive and 3 point hitch all standard, where these are all up charges on the X7xx series. The cab options on the 1 series are more varied and you can select anything from a $800 soft sided cab with no options all the way up to the $5,800 glass cab with heat and front and rear wipers and other valuable options.

I have plowed and blown snow for 20 years using a 455 diesel, which is the predecessor to the x7xx series. I find it's ability to maneuver easily and in tight areas makes it's operating efficiency very good. However, because of the need for the rear PTO for a salt spreader and the 3 point hitch, along with the 4 wheel drive options and the front end loader, I am going to be switching to the 1025R soon. spreader is electric actually and only requires cat 1 3 pt hitch and a good connection to the battery as well as a functional alternator........

I don't think you are going to find split brakes on anything hydrostatic driven which is green in color and it's going to be difficult to find a new(er) SCUT in the color green which isn't hydro statically driven. While the split brakes are ideal for 180 to 360 degree "spinning" it's also hard on the surface where you are locking the inside wheel to make the turn. In a field, I wouldn't and haven't given it a second thought, but I wouldn't want the tire scuffing on pavement nor risk turning up gravel, etc. in a driveway when blowing snow just because it's likely to result in putting those loosened items through the blower, which has risks of it own.

Any 3 point aerator which will fit the category 0 three point will work. There are extensive threads on this site about the numerous aerators sold by various manufacturers which a quick search in the GTT search bar will bring to the forefront for you to review.

Welcome to the GTT site. There are a lot of really fine people on this site and a few of the rest of us..............
    BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

I know the feeling....

Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    I have a 1026r with the 54" blower. The 1025 is basically the same tractor. While my set up works well I wouldn't want any less hp on the 54" blower when dealing with heavy wet snow.
    we have the 47" on the 4115 which is similar in HP to a 1025 and we clear between 3 and 4 miles of sidewalks and growing. We had one storm in March with 32" and you did have to go slow but it did it. I can't imagine the 54" would have gone too well on my machine during that storm--would have been too much pushing....

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    The 1025R has a 40 amp alternator as standard equipment. My 455s only had a 20 amp alternator and that was one of the reasons why I never installed cab heaters (just being out of the wind was usually enough). If you go the X route, you may want to check into the alternator size. With the amount of time you spend in the cab, you'll wan the heater, aux lighting, and your spreader.
    Levi, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast