Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Trouble with 54" auto connect deck removal

1. Top | #1
    coz
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 12:23 PM
    Thanks

Question Trouble with 54" auto connect deck removal

Hey guys. I've had issues with my 54" auto connect deck disconnecting for quite a while. Sometimes it won't come off and I just give up. I've read other threads about similar issues and tried the suggestions. But one thing that I'm wondering about is the set screw in the male end of the deck side gear case. It appears from what I've read here, and what I can find for parts diagrams, that there should be 2 set screws. If you can tell in the pic, on mine it looks like there's 1 set screw and 1 pin of some sort. Is that right, or did the set screw back out and get smashed sort of flat? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170402_111826.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Doesn't look right to me. The parts diagram for the auto connect only shows two set screws (part 22M7072, M6 X 10). Having it protrude like that could certainly cause it to bind up.

I'd pull it and replace it.

(#14)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Autoconnect.gif 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	359522
    Last edited by Traction; 05-03-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    Drifterbike likes this.

4. Top | #3
    coz
    Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 12:23 PM
    Thanks
    That's the diagram I looked at too. I guess I might need to figure out a way to get it out. The screw must have backed out a long way to get smashed like that!

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    That's the diagram I looked at too. I guess I might need to figure out a way to get it out. The screw must have backed out a long way to get smashed like that!

thanks

Have you got a good hardware store or know where a Snap-on or Mac tool truck stops? A small, left handed drill bit would probably start to drill in to it then grab it and spin it out...

Good Luck.
    etcallhome likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    center punch it, drill it and use an extractor / "easy-out". looks like it backed out and got hammered
    etcallhome and keane like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Looks like it is protruding a little. If enough is sticking up to grab it with a needle nose vise grip you might be able to lock down on it and unscrew it otherwise like AJgrn78 said drill it and use an extractor. Good luck let us know how you make out.
    etcallhome likes this.

--- Ed ---

*2016 1025R TLB, 54" Auto Connect MMM w/ mulch kit, Imatch, Wheel Wts
    Artiliian 42" Forks
    JD 54 Plow Blade w/ Artillian Snow Plow System
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks & Clevis, 2x2 Bolt on Receiver, Diff Pedal, Seat Spring Upgrade, Oblong Ring Slings
    SD Hvy Hitch, Combo Cart, 53" Toothbar, Front Weight Hitch
    R2 Edge Tamers
    JD HP 45 Gallon 3-PT Hitch Sprayer
    BXpanded BH Thumb, Quick Connect, Ripper Blade, Trench Bucket
    Mower Deck Axle
    8 JD Suitcase Wts

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Hey guys. I've had issues with my 54" auto connect deck disconnecting for quite a while. Sometimes it won't come off and I just give up. I've read other threads about similar issues and tried the suggestions. But one thing that I'm wondering about is the set screw in the male end of the deck side gear case. It appears from what I've read here, and what I can find for parts diagrams, that there should be 2 set screws. If you can tell in the pic, on mine it looks like there's 1 set screw and 1 pin of some sort. Is that right, or did the set screw back out and get smashed sort of flat? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Steve
    I would take a small stiff stainless wire brush and clean it totally and then take a look at what I have before running to a metal drill bit and easy out. Drill bits tend to drift, bend, flex etc and can mess up the threads even if you prick with a machinist punch, it's a last resort. Brush it real well. Use dental pics around the circumference of the screw to and clean it again. If it has been mushroomed because it backed out, you could gently use a small flat punch and tamp it laterally. I've done this and have gotten just enough to get a bite with vise grips and turn it out. Have been real carefull so vise grips don't squeeze and break off the tempered metal that was the product of the fault(mushrooming and laterall punching) it becomes brittle. Also, after dental picking the circumference, use a very good penetrating oil and shock the casing with gentel tamps from a piece of brass dowel and a tack hammer. You could also cut a slot and try a driver.

If that doesn't work, carefully machine down the mushroomed head(file, dermel etc) than prick it center and drill it with a real good NEW small pilot bit. Don't go thru the plug if it's not shallow. Increase the size of the bit till you can get a bite with an easy out. I've ground the tip off easy outs so I can blind seat it. If that doesn't work, increase bit size in steps, don't hit the thread and weaken the ring that's left of the set screw.
    rtgt likes this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    When you get it removed clean the male and female threads of the coupler and new set screws with brake cleaner and let dry, then use a low strength Loctite when you re assemble. If you ever need to get it apart again heating to about 300 F will liquefy the Loctite and allow removal. These set screws are subject to ungodly vibration.
    etcallhome likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Yup.. Set screw backed out. Those lil screws are hard hard metal. IF you can get it out, great. If I were you, I would pull the gearbox off and take it to an automotive machine shop. Let them get it out. You'll be money and time ahead. Worse case.. They can drill and tap a new hole for another set screw.
    I've seen this multiple times. I have sent in reports to Deere suggesting loc tite on screws. I put it on anyway.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    etcallhome and rtgt like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    or try the lazy method... if you have a dremel try carefully putting a groove on the end of it and maybe it will turn out with a flat head screwdriver, I don't think it would matter if you accidentally hit the shaft just a little

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast