Just learned something a week or two ago and wanted to pass it along for other 1025 owners who might be fighting with attaching/re-attaching their MMMs.
I bought a 1025R about 3 years ago with the 60D MMM. Runs great when it's attached, but it never - and I mean never - attached or re-attached as easy as the videos showed. Even allowing for a little bit of marketing license on Youtube, it was a consistent struggle. The tolerances seemed too tight. It'd go on partway, or crooked, or not at all. I eventually settled into a routine of getting partway on to the lower mechanism and then using a piece of 2x4 and quite a bit of body english to get it pushed and locked into place. I mentioned this to a service manager once at the dealership and he agreed that the ease-of-use thing had been a bit oversold.
So while I loved the FEL I eventually picked up, I dreaded having to take the MMM off to use it because of the struggles I'd had to get it back on. I had eventually planned to replace it anyway, maybe at the end of the season, because of the pain-in-the-rear factor.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago.
I had a problem with the neutral switch, fidgeted with all the connections, but couldn't get the "shift to N" message to go away, so I called the dealer to come get it. When I went to pick it up afterward, the service dept cashier mentioned something about replacing a bolt on the mower. I wasn't clear on why, so she brought be back to the tech.
Turns out he had also struggled mightily to take the thing off and then noticed that a lower mechanism on the tractor had been installed incorrectly.
This is looking at the left-hand side of the mower, towards the front.
The part I'm touching had been incorrectly attached to the outside, rather than within that part that receives it. The result was that the whole apparatus had been mis-aligned from the get go (it's correct now, obviously). The tech replaced the original bolt with that green one you see and said I'd probably have an easier time of it from now on. Then he said "I didn't charge you for that," which I thought was sort of nice, since someone along the way on Deere's side had been the one to screw it up start with. It's been in the shop a couple of times for various bits of other maintenance, but apparently no one had noticed it before now.
In any case, it turns out he was right. I took the thing off for some garden FEL work and put the MMM back on afterward on the first try for the first time ever. Who knows if I'm the only one this has ever happened to, but if you've battled the thing like I have, it's something to check. I had been operating under the assumption all this time that it was all set up right, and that my problems were either
- operator error
- bad design
- all of the above
Anyway, wanted to share it with everyone else just in case.