Like Tree234Likes

Thread: 1025R TLB for someone new to the countryside

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-17-2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks

1025R TLB for someone new to the countryside

Hi all,

New poster here. This seems like a great community .

My wife and I just purchased 10acres outside the city. It has a gentle slope, and about 2/3rds of it is cleared with grass/brush growing.

I'm new to living in the countryside. I've been in suburbs my whole life (I'm 32). Been reading a bit on various projects we'd like to tackle -- mowing around 7 acres of brush/grass, putting down new gravel on the driveway, grading some of the land to plant some crops. Rather quickly decided that a tractor is probably the right tool to have around to get these jobs done in a timely manner. (My wife thinks I'm a bit crazy though, our discussion went from a lawn mower to riding mower to tractor pretty quickly).

So we went to look at the JD 1025R last weekend. The dealer had them put next to a row of 3-family tractors, so the 1-series looked really small in comparison . I really liked the 1025R TLB, it seems like a pretty good package, especially since I'll need to put down some french drains to address various drainage issues we have, as well as dig some trenches to run electrical out to a shed, so the backhoe seem like it would come in handy.

My question is if a 1025R is a good "beginner" tractor -- or do you think I should get a riding mower first, get used to that, before getting a tractor? Even though it's the smallest tractor JD has, still seems like a serious piece of equipment to have.

The dealer here has a sale on the 1025R TLB right now -- $19,929. That seems like a pretty good deal, considering I see used ones going for around 16-18K. Getting 0% financing on top of that makes it pretty attractive.

Anyway, any advice/tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    If it's affordable to you and you have a bunch of projects you want to tackle then buy it.
    I wish they were available when i was your age because i should of bought a tractor long before i eventually did in my late 40's.

There's one thing the folks here at GTT are good at besides the great advice, it's spending your money.
    rtgt, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 1,104 Posts
    OH-YEAH-WE CAN HELP YA SPEND UR
    BillieS, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:26 PM
    Thanks
    from Texas !!! Go for it , I bought my 1025R without the backhoe and regretted it shortly afterwards . These tractors are awesome and really retain their value in case you want to upgrade later on .
    ... and we really like pics !!! Good luck with whatever you decide on .
    Levi, OxPath and Robnik like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    These tractors are indeed serious pieces of equipment but are extremely easy to operate. You will be "used to" the tractor just as quickly as you will be used to a garden or lawn tractor. I believe if you already have the 1 series on your mind then anything less will have you regretting the purchase of it rapidly. Might as well get what you want now than loose a few dollars with a trade that most likely will come sooner than later, I and several others have already been there and done that. The 1 series is an excellent beginner machine IMO that will not only be excellent at beginning with, it's capable of being the only tractor many folks will need for the next 20+ years.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 05-09-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    I do believe the 1 series tractors are a great starting tractor. I think you are going to find out rather quickly that you will soon out grow it in a short time. Especially with the projects you have in mind along with the acreage you plan on tending. To be honest, if you can swing a 2 series with a BH you would be better off and it will do anything you put in front of it. While I think the 1 series is great, I had two of them, I just really feel you will out grow it in a short time. Spend big now and not regret it later.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    From the work you have planned- ditching, trenching, backfilling, and grading that stuff is going to cost you thousands to pay someone else to do it.
    These machines pay for their depreciation very quickly.
    rtgt, Levi, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Buy it, we all started somewhere.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks
    Agree with the others. Get the 1025R TLB!
    Check out our videos on YouTube (see my signature). These should help you answer questions on the tractor's usefulness and capability.
    Levi, OxPath, wentonbrown and 3 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 AM
    Thanks

1025R TLB for someone new to the countryside

That's a pretty good price. While the 1 series is small, you'll be surprised by what it can do. I haven't been able to stop mine yet in almost 300 hours of runtime. Later on you might have a need for something bigger, but a 1025r TLB is cheaper than a 2 series. Plus it's smaller and more nimble, allowing it to get into areas that a bigger tractor might not fit. Only regret I have with mine is not buying the backhoe. Have tried to convince the financial department I need the backhoe but no luck so far. Watch the YouTube videos that GTT member Timmarks has, he's the guy that posted one before me. Search on YouTube for Tractor Time with Tim and you can get a good feel for what a 1025r TLB can do. You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Levi, OxPath, Tractor Tim and 5 others like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheesetrain For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (05-09-2017)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com