Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: MMM height adjustment and lock

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-12-2017 @ 07:12 PM
    Thanks

MMM height adjustment and lock

I have a new 1025r with the 60" MMM and have a question about the height of cut adjustment, which seems to me to be one of the weak links in this otherwise sturdily engineered tractor.

First, I notice that when I raise the mower and set the adjustment to lock, then lower the PTO height adjustment, the mower will still lower a bit before catching and "locking". It also appears that the right side goes a little lower as the adjustment mechanism is only holding the mower on the left side, so you get a slightly lopsided deck. I am wondering if this is normal or do others have no movement down at all when they are in the lock position? I am finding that I am losing some of the height I should have when locked because of this. I would like to be able to keep my deck on when doing some kinds of light work but to do so I really would like it to stay at it's highest available height.

Also, is it the case that you should only adjust the mower height when the mower is fully raised?

Thanks guys, love this forum.
    Robnik likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    First of all... I agree with you, the indexed height adjuster IS a piece of crap, it could have been designed much better.

The reason it "skips off" The adjuster a little bit after you lower the deck is because it's impossible to have the dial in exactly the right orientation for each level by going off the useless lines on the label.

Here's what I do (same setup), put the dial in "Install" (with the deck up), lower the deck all the way the down, raise the deck slowly while at the same time turning the dial (just some twisting pressure, not going crazy on it) and as the deck goes up you will feel the dial click into each step. I do this until I get "close" to the ideal height, and then lower the 3pt control while still twisting lightly on the dial. Then I try it, if it needs to come higher I slowly lift the deck one increment with twisting pressure on the dial, feel one click, then lower the control lever again. Once it's set like that, you'll have the dial adjuster in exactly the right orientation for that height, and you can raise and the lower the deck to that set height.

If it's too high....I start over. I think this all reduces wear and damage to the index mechanism.
    Robnik likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 978 Posts
    Ryugreen, mine drops a bit in lock as you describe. I was discussing what I do to get the correct height to a guy who has a Kubota BX just the other day. I was thinking to myself, I'm making my Deere sound like a piece of junk. I take my deck off after each mowing. It only takes a couple minutes, and I don't have autoconnect. Then I don't have to worry about it dropping and/or damaging it. To achieve a consistent deck height, I took a permanent marker and marked the stop under the tractor that I want to use. I turn the dial to the vicinity of where it needs to be, then look under the left rear fender and check the stop to make sure it's on the correct one, then adjust as needed. It's definitely not "set it and forget it".
    Robnik likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    What you have noticed, unfortunately, is "normal" for this mower. Don't be misled by the look of the adjustment dial into thinking that adjusting height is like adjusting a volume control knob on a radio. Look at the part of the adjuster underneath the tractor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMM2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	367273
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MMM#.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	367265

The adjustment dial would lead you to believe there is a smooth range of heights, when actually there are steps that are approximately one-half inch apart. When you lower the deck to a mowing height selected by the dial, the deck drops until it is stopped at the the next "step."

Also, since this support stop only acts on the back left of the mower deck, the opposite corner, or right front, will tend to sag down. Trying to get the deck adjusted to cut evenly front-to-back and side-to-side can consume hours and hours of your time. And even if you get it set up for a perfect horizontal cut, there is enough bounce to throw throw that off once you start moving. Just use your foot on the right front of the deck to see how much and how easily it moves.

This is you.

This is the mid-mount-mower.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    When in the locked position, the deck will drop a little bit before it hits the lock. When you have the deck all the way up can you turn the knob all the way around? if not, your rock shaft lift arm needs adjusted a little higher. And when you select the height you want and lower the deck it should be level once it hits the height. if not your turnbuckle may need adjusted to level it. When I do a 1 series using the JD level guage the rear left blade/right blade is the same and the front is a quarter inch or so lower. if one side is higher or lower go back to install, drop the deck, by hand I push the tractor back a few inches now you can pull which ever cam pin and adjust it higher or lower. reconnect deck, raise, select height, drop and recheck if its still not level, repeat until both sides are the same. There is no "set" height that L,M or H should be, but my H is usually around 3 1/2 to 3 1/4. Yours could be higher or lower depending on how it was set up- how many threads the cam locks are turned and how your rock shaft lift arm adjusted.
    Superglidesport likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryugreen View Post
    I have a new 1025r with the 60" MMM and have a question about the height of cut adjustment, which seems to me to be one of the weak links in this otherwise sturdily engineered tractor.

First, I notice that when I raise the mower and set the adjustment to lock, then lower the PTO height adjustment, the mower will still lower a bit before catching and "locking". It also appears that the right side goes a little lower as the adjustment mechanism is only holding the mower on the left side, so you get a slightly lopsided deck. I am wondering if this is normal or do others have no movement down at all when they are in the lock position? I am finding that I am losing some of the height I should have when locked because of this. I would like to be able to keep my deck on when doing some kinds of light work but to do so I really would like it to stay at it's highest available height.

Also, is it the case that you should only adjust the mower height when the mower is fully raised?

Thanks guys, love this forum.
    This is due to the linkage cam having some clearance between the linkage and cam when in the fully raised position. If there was no clearance here, it would not be possible to turn the height cam.

The fact that the height cam is on the left side does not mean that the height cam only holds up the left side of the mmm. The height cam works on the left mmm linkage arm, although, the left and right mmm linkage arms are attached to a common rod in keyed grooves. If your mmm is hanging crooked, then the lift links are out of adjustment. It is not possible for the left side of the mmm linkage to move and not the right side unless a key is missing or something else is bent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MMM Height Cam.jpg  
    Creekdrifter and mdy1318 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    There's one other potential issue with the step system that sorta bugged me as well. It very well may have just been my eyes playing a trick on me. But I could have sworn that the metal on the steps was wearing down on mine after 2 years of use. It's pretty stiff metal on metal friction every time you spin the knob. Granted. I took my deck off after ever use so maybe I was "over using" my dial. But after 10-15-20 years of use. It seems to me that the steps could easily wear down depending on usage. Especially your main height set step. I suppose it's probably a pretty easy part to replace if it happened. And for the record. I never had a problem with mine. It worked beautifully. It was just a thought I had every time I looked at the step.
    2014 1023E - R4 Tires - H120 Loader - Ballast Box - Forward lighting kit with Artillian horse blinders - 48" Ratchet Rake Snow Edge - 42" HLA Forks
    2017 Z540R - 54" High Capacity Deck - Forward Lighting & Mulch Kit - 60" Farm King Rear Snow Blower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks

Height adjust. system

Mine wore too. i had service work done and pointed this out, the dealer replaced it because it began to drop height as soon as a small bump in the lawn was crossed, major drops. When I got the new set up home and used it the first time I thought it was fixed, worked great. The second time, right back to the big drop on a bump. So, I began to set the 3pt. level a bit higher than the height adjuster know listed meaning I lowered the deck to the height on the dial, when it stopped I raised the level slightly so I could see a perceptible raise in the deck and left it there. Then the hydraulic system was holding the deck in place, not the height adjuster system. Seems to have solved the issue.

Still haven't figured out the auto connect height, the lock position, and the lift strap adjustment. I"ve followed diesel's instructions and even modified them but things don't work out for me like the pictures show. I'm a bit slow but not that slow. I beginning to think there is something at odds with the build on mine. I can't get a height of more than 3 inches cut out of mine to save my hide and still have the auto connect height come close to matching the deck stub.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    On '17 and newer units the rock shaft and lift strap for the mmm are factory installed. I have seen zero lift straps adjusted correctly. If the deck will not raise completely up the lift strap is likely the problem. Also, we have seen the height knob decals installed incorrectly.
    The turn buckles on the rockshaft will not have equal threads showing. The bellcrank on the rockshaft where the loop end of the turnbuckle connects is not at the same clock angle left to right side. One hangs lower than the other.
    The lock position has been done away with. The travel/lock position is now set by raising the deck to max height and turning the knob until it stops. Now the deck is setting against the stop and will not drop.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    On '17 and newer units the rock shaft and lift strap for the mmm are factory installed. I have seen zero lift straps adjusted correctly. If the deck will not raise completely up the lift strap is likely the problem. Also, we have seen the height knob decals installed incorrectly.
    The turn buckles on the rockshaft will not have equal threads showing. The bellcrank on the rockshaft where the loop end of the turnbuckle connects is not at the same clock angle left to right side. One hangs lower than the other.
    The lock position has been done away with. The travel/lock position is now set by raising the deck to max height and turning the knob until it stops. Now the deck is setting against the stop and will not drop.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    I have an 2018 model and the position feedback rod needed adjusted on mine a couple of threads back. Adjusting the strap, wasn't enough. Some good info at the end of the sticky on adjusting the deck and a link going to another thread as well with some good info.

1026R 1025R 1023E 1 series mower setup and adjustment - Page 23
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA / LoadNGo /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast