Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What to look for in the pre delivery inspection

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-19-2017 @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks

What to look for in the pre delivery inspection

Hello,
    I'm new here and I've had limited experience with tractors. I've owned JD garden tractors (315 & 425) and am now buying a new 1025r w/loader, backhoe, mower deck and snow blade from the local dealer. I've read horror stories about new machines delivered with problems which I'd like to avoid. Is there any published checklist to go through to check all the systems before delivery? Any tips of what to look for that may not be obvious?
    Gizmo2, Marlin, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-17-2018 @ 08:11 AM
    Thanks
    That's a good question, my 4044r just arrived at the dealership and had R1 tires on it when I orderd R4s, that makes me wonder if it's from another dealer not from john deer, now I have a bunch of thoughts like how many hours are on a new tractor. Friday is my pickup day, Ben waiting over a month
    BigJim55, Marlin and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    I'm in the same boat. My dealer has promised a full, hands on tutorial before it is shipped, so I am hopeful all will be well. Will let you know how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and Robnik like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    bob
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:53 PM
    Thanks
    I am not sure if there is a check list. My advice to you is upon delivery of your tractor have them show you how to attach and remove each attachment. Make sure you are comfortable in doing it yourself with their guidance. Be especially certain that the AutoConnect mower deck works properly and you feel comfortable with it. Tell your dealer that before they deliver your tractor that they are certain that each attachment has been properly adjusted and make sure the the delivery person has adequate time to explain and show you how they are attached and removed. I do not have a backhoe but I have read that it takes a little practice to attach/remove. Before delivery, read the owner's manuals to get familiar with how they work. Finally, when you get that new tractor....be safe and have fun!
    Levi, BigJim55, Marlin and 5 others like this.
    2011 John Deere 1026R
    H120 FEL with 53 inch bucket
    60D Auto-Connect mower deck
    54 inch snowblower
    647 tiller
    i-match
    Heavy Hitch
    TuffTop
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    ballast box
    wheel weights
    steering wheel spinner knob

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJordan View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new here and I've had limited experience with tractors. I've owned JD garden tractors (315 & 425) and am now buying a new 1025r w/loader, backhoe, mower deck and snow blade from the local dealer. I've read horror stories about new machines delivered with problems which I'd like to avoid. Is there any published checklist to go through to check all the systems before delivery? Any tips of what to look for that may not be obvious?
    The person who delivers it should go over everything with you when he brings it to you. Don't be shy when it comes to asking them any questions. Make sure you make a list before they come so you don't forget anything like I did. I had to drive 2 hours to my dealer to have them show me a couple of things that I forgot to ask about.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:04 PM
    Thanks

Read the online manuals before you get the tractor

This way you are familiar where/what the switches are and what lights should come on when you 'do something'. I spent 20 minutes perusing a (albeit used with only 200 hours on it)3046r and turned everything on (including the air conditioning). I noted the 4wd light didn't come on, and it didn't seem to engage. The dealer was apprised and they are addressing it.

The others have made good comments as well and should be given consideration. It is YOUR time so make the most of it and try and avoid having them rush you to complete. If possible, and suitable, try to do it at the dealer (like I did) before they deliver it. Simpler to address issues while at the dealer than having them come and get it later (and you get to pay more transport fees possibly).

It think this is your owners manual (1025R): http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMLVU25849_19/?tM=
    Last edited by kadorken; 05-16-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Add manual link

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    The dealer has a check list that they do and that they are supposed to do with you. Ask for a copy before delivery. That will get you on the right path.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Levi, BigJim55, Marlin and 4 others like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,997 Times in 2,954 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJordan View Post
    Hello,
    Welcome to GTT.
    Not all problems are avoidable, a bad dealer is. A good dealer will rectify a problem, a bad dealer may.
    Get a gallon off hydraulic oil. If the dealer is really good he'll give you a gallon.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 05-17-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    BigJim55 and Drifterbike like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks
    My 1025R was almost a quart low on tranny fluid. Luckey i caught it at the dealer before i purchased it. look over all fluids. good Luck
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Thanks
    Most 1025R TLB are factory assembled now. That should nip a lot of the errors in the bud. A dealer could still assemble one, but I don't believe it would be profitable.

As your getting a plow, you're also getting a Front Quick Hitch. The grill guard, front hitch hooks, and mower deck front hook utilize the same attaching bolts. With all three, those that come with the kits will be too short and will not fully engage all the threads in the nuts. So check for that.

Mower deck setup is where most of the issues are. As others have stated, make sure the drive over autoconnect feature is smooth. With the mower deck lowered to cut height, the gauge wheels should be approximately 1/4" above a hard surface. Check for somewhat the same gap at all wheel gauge wheels, although this is not how you measure mow height. Do a test mow with it and check the cut for evenness.

The mower deck should be fairly quiet when engaged. If you have shaking and rattling, something is not right.
    Last edited by martincom; 05-17-2017 at 01:04 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast