Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Yet another 54D problem...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks

Yet another 54D problem...

Installing my 54D is about 50%, goes right on one time and the next the front wheels rotate in different directions (or one turns the other slips) coming down off the front of the deck and the deck rotates and becomes stuck under the tractor (YES, IT'S ENGAGED 4WD).

Today it was another hour jacking and blocking to get the deck out from under. This time I found the piece below sitting on the mower deck:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken lift part 1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	371233

4 1/8" long, 1/2" wide, 1/4" thick with 2 bad welds which had rusted through:

Name:	broken lift part 2.jpg 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	371241

Name:	broken lift part  3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	371249

Where did it come from? I'm in a mowing bind, my GX is waiting for a transmission filter and is drained of hydro fluid and I need to get the 1026/54D working so here's my question. The PTO female connector is hanging down and does not line up with the deck fitting, can I hang it in alignment with a wire and manually move the deck to engage the shaft to the deck? In other words will the shaft drive the deck without the piece that is broken off involved? Hope this makes some kind of sense to someone!

( to keep from cryin'! I hate this deck, cuts great, but is awful to install!)
    Levi, Robnik and buckteeth445 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    Is this your mystery piece? If your coupler isn't looking right this might be the cause.....

Name:	DSCF7938.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	371409

Part number 1 in this pic.......

Name:	What is broken_zpsdtts9vzl.jpg 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	371417

A welder might be able to graft it back on, or there's a trip to J-D in your future.

I don't know if there is an updated part of it they are still the same. There have been a few threads about broken mower lifts in the SCUT section.

Good Luck!
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

HydroHarold (05-21-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    I cannot connect my deck on concrete due to the deck rotating while driving off. Some guys lay down a mat but I just do it in the grass now and move the deck with my forks.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    That most certainly looks like the mystery piece! It keeps the autoconnect at the desired pitch to connect. You should still be able to rotate and guide it onto the gearbox by hand. Once it is connected and the deck is lifted, the bolt should not be resting on or touching that broken piece anyway, I usually check if I can slide a card between the bolt and the broken piece you have. The current version is one piece.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Are you connecting and disconnecting this deck on flat, high traction ground? Like a flat area of lawn? If not, that would explain why you have so many problems. Unless you're trying to do it fast, then that would explain it also.

The deck shouldn't move that freely under the tractor, and front wheels, if aligned correctly, shouldn't be able to do that. From what you describe, it almost sounds like your going on it fast and at an angle. I have removed and attached my deck dozens of times, sometimes on less than ideal circumstances, and I've only had problems twice, and both were my fault.

Have you watched some of the autoconnect vids on YouTube? Are you doing it like that?
    HydroHarold, bones, Levi and 4 others like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I have the 60D so I'm not sure of the differences other then the size. But when I take the deck off, I release the "latches" on all the wheels so they can move freely up and down and the entire deck can sit on the ground when lowered and not on the wheels rolling around. With it like this, it is all but impossible for the deck to slide or move far enough to screw up the connection. Then when reconnecting simply raise the deck after connection and set the wheels to the proper hole and off you go.
    Last edited by bones; 05-20-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    2012 1026R TLB - 60D 7 Iron MMM Auto connect w/ hyd lift - H120 w/ 53" FEL - 260BH w/ 12" Bucket - JD Aux Lights - R4's - Block heater - Artillian 36" JDQA Forks - Ken's Hooks - Piranha Tooth bar - Upgraded seat springs from psrumors

2013 Laramie Ram Power Wagon w/ Western 8.5' ProPlus plow
    2008 Dodge Avenger R/T Chrysler 200,000 Mile Club
    '16 Polaris Sportsman Touring 1000 XP
    '03 Kawasaki Prairie 650

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    BINGO, mystery piece source revealed in perfect focus! The little dinky blobby cold weld spots are right there in the pic! Soooo... tomorrow I'll see if anything else is amiss under there and try a manual alignment connection of the shaft. It would be fitting rather than using modern baling wire to hold up the shaft maybe a nice piece of old clothesline or a strip of an old T shirt (JD of course!)

I noticed today out the window that the right side of the I-Match is drooping a bit so there's more to meet the eye going on under there. Hope it ain't too scary, I'll find out later today after I rip up that Tshirt!

THANKS EVERYONE!!! LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

EDIT:

The suggestions of connecting on the lawn sound like a good idea! I did set up the deck to sit flat on pavement though and that's where my problem is. This deck is some lighter in weight than a 60 but ALSO sits on 2 little nubs of steel by the nose rolller effectively making a tripod out of the deck contact points, 2 along the rear lip and effectively one right in the center by the roller. Even with the wheels all the way up in the install position the deck can quickly slip and rotate one way or the other. Slick powder coat green paint isn't helping either... I do not "speed" onto the deck ! With a 54 you MUST creep over the deck to keep front wheels lined up next to the "guide bar"...

To be continued.... (for better or worse)
    Last edited by HydroHarold; 05-21-2017 at 12:50 AM.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:41 PM
    Thanks
    I tried one time to drive over my 54" deck when it was on the garage floor.... Never again. If I have to drop the deck, I do it on my gravel driveway or in the yard. One time trying to jack the tractor to wiggle the deck out was enough!

I bet you could get someone to weld that strip back onto the cross bar.

Good luck
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    BINGO, mystery piece source revealed in perfect focus! The little dinky blobby cold weld spots are right there in the pic! Soooo... tomorrow I'll see if anything else is amiss under there and try a manual alignment connection of the shaft. It would be fitting rather than using modern baling wire to hold up the shaft maybe a nice piece of old clothesline or a strip of an old T shirt (JD of course!)

I noticed today out the window that the right side of the I-Match is drooping a bit so there's more to meet the eye going on under there. Hope it ain't too scary, I'll find out later today after I rip up that Tshirt!

THANKS EVERYONE!!! LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

EDIT:

The suggestions of connecting on the lawn sound like a good idea! I did set up the deck to sit flat on pavement though and that's where my problem is. This deck is some lighter in weight than a 60 but ALSO sits on 2 little nubs of steel by the nose rolller effectively making a tripod out of the deck contact points, 2 along the rear lip and effectively one right in the center by the roller. Even with the wheels all the way up in the install position the deck can quickly slip and rotate one way or the other. Slick powder coat green paint isn't helping either... I do not "speed" onto the deck ! With a 54 you MUST creep over the deck to keep front wheels lined up next to the "guide bar"...

To be continued.... (for better or worse)
    Your iMATCH drooping is probably just the angle adjustment on the right drag link. It is adjustable just like your top link so you can angle attachments such as a back blade for ditching. Look at that and problem solved more than likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Mystery solved! Also, did you add the center roller? Because that doesn't help.

After you get the deck and autoconnect repaired, try it on the grass, and you'll finally experience the autoconnect the way it was meant to work.
    Levi, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast