I’ve had this problem for a while now with my JD 1026R. In fact, pretty much since I purchased the tractor in 2011. I honestly haven’t used the mower more than a hand full of times since I bought my rig. The problem is, after dropping the mower and raising the mid PTO to get it out of the way, it doesn’t lower again. It was going up and down fine with the mower deck attached, but since I last dropped the mower and raised the mid PTO, the mid PTO will not lower using the SCV.
My rig is out of warranty, so I decided to troubleshoot and attempt a repair myself. Not knowing too much about the mechanics of the system, I tried to find as much information as I could online, and in the operating manual. I’m confident that I’m operating the system properly, and verified that the mower height control knob is in the “install” position. I crawled under the tractor to verify that the cam is not preventing the trapeze from lowering. Someone suggested checking the drop/lock rate valve knob to make sure it wasn’t in the min position, but from everything I’ve read this valve has nothing to do with the mid PTO with the auto connect system. The system is controlled by the SCV.
I had to remove the deck on the tractor in order to get a good look at the auto connect system. This is a little bit of a procedure that I’ll share with anyone interested. Most of the auto connect system is mechanical, with the exception of one hydraulically actuated piston – part number LVA15396. This is more of an accumulator than a piston in that it only has one hydraulic fitting. It appears to me that hydraulic fluid is forced into the LVA15396 to raise the trapeze, and when pressure is released, it should allow the trapeze to lower due to the weight of the trapeze along with a spring assist. Even without the mower deck installed, there is a good amount of weight there to force the LVA 15396 to retract allowing the trapeze to lower into the install position.
I ordered a new LVA15396, because I believe that there is a problem inside this accumulator. I’m hoping that replacing it will solve the problem. I’ll post again to let others know in case they’re having a similar problem.