• 6 Post By hodge
  • 4 Post By chex313

Thread: Should front wheel drive shaft turn free

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-27-2019 @ 07:48 PM
    Thanks

Should front wheel drive shaft turn free

I was greasing the fittings and after 45min of removal of the rubber boot (Clamp screw was against the frame) for the front driveshaft the fitting was in the wrong location to grease. So knowing the lever was in two wheel drive I attempted to rotate the shaft, but it acts as if it's in front wheel drive. SO I had the wife come out and push the lever back and forth (2-4 wheel) and tried to hand rotate the shaft (NOT) I would expect it t rotate when not in gear. I drove it into the garage in 2 wheel so why is it hung up?

I also found the snap ring for the front drive shaft (under the rubber boot) out of it groove
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2133.JPG  
    HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    If Your Not Living on the Edge, Your Taking Up Too Much Space

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,089 Posts
    The front driveshaft is permanently coupled to the front hubs. It will not turn freely unless the front wheels are off the ground and the front wheel drive is disengaged. It will also turn anytime the front wheels are turning.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 56FordGuy For This Useful Post:

Foggy Bottom (05-28-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,324 Times in 2,597 Posts
    Blake is 100% correct. The driveshaft has no means of a mechanical disconnect to the front wheels. The 4WD lever simply engages the front driveshaft gear within the transmission.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

Louman (05-27-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 AM
    Thanks
    On a truck, which is a reference for many, you have two points of disconnect- at the hubs (or in the axle, like the Chrysler version), and at the transfer case. On a tractor, the only point of disengagement is in the transmission. So, the front driveline- driveshaft, differential, axle shafts, hubs/gears- all turn, all the time.
    jgayman, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:02 PM
    Thanks
    So I use jack stands and or floor lift to get mine up off the front wheels, than it makes it easy to turn the driveshaft to get to that zerk.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    On a truck, which is a reference for many, you have two points of disconnect- at the hubs (or in the axle, like the Chrysler version), and at the transfer case. On a tractor, the only point of disengagement is in the transmission. So, the front driveline- driveshaft, differential, axle shafts, hubs/gears- all turn, all the time.
    Chrysler gave up on the disconnect thing years ago. My 2001 Wrangler has a live front axle like a tractor. I have since added an old school Warn lockout kit on it.

Now my 1991 Wrangler had a front axle disconnect vacuum servo. It would split the right axle in two. Essentially doing the same thing as jacking up one of the front wheels. This keeps the driveshaft from turning. Just like letting you turn the driveshaft as you describe. On an open differential lifting only one wheel will render the other side useless. So if you get one wheel stuck your done.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    The front driveshaft is permanently coupled to the front hubs. It will not turn freely unless the front wheels are off the ground and the front wheel drive is disengaged. It will also turn anytime the front wheels are turning.
    Quote Originally Posted by chex313 View Post
    So I use jack stands and or floor lift to get mine up off the front wheels, than it makes it easy to turn the driveshaft to get to that zerk.
    Which is why it's important to keep that drive shaft greased all the time. One front wheel off the floor is how I do it...
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Which is why it's important to keep that drive shaft greased all the time. One front wheel off the floor is how I do it...

I thought greasing the 4x4 drive shaft was important also, but after going through the trouble of removing the front boot on my 2025R. I discovered there is not a grease fitting on the front 4x4 U joint.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements