Green Tractor Talk banner

JD 2210 lights on all the time

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  RayinNc 
#1 ·
Howdy, Ya'll. I'm new to these parts, so be gentle.

I recently acquired a 2210 that I like a lot. Have replaced the PTO switch, broken a deck suspension rod, and now have another problem.

The lights stay on all the time. The switch seems to do nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.:usa

#2 ·
Is it the headlights or the flashers? If it is the flashers you can unplug them. The wiring to them is under the seat pan by the top link of the three point. You can simply unplug them until you get it sorted out. Not sure about where the headlights unplug other than right at the lamp. Both of those recommendations just treat the symptoms not the cause. Also, there 4 screws that hold the dash panel on, remove them and take a look behind the dash and see if you notice anything wrong back there at the light switch. It sounds like your switch has failed. Unplug it from there and see if the lights go out. If you have a multi-meter you can try and test the switch resistance. I am sure someone who is much smarter than me at electrical diagnostics will be along. I owned a 2210 for 4 years but I did not run into that particular issue. I had plenty of others to keep me occupied. :laugh:

Since you just got this tractor, have you read up on the historical drive shaft and PTO issues? For the drive shaft, make sure the U joints get greased on a regular basis.

Reactions: rtgt
#3 ·
Is it the headlights or the flashers? If it is the flashers you can unplug them. The wiring to them is under the seat pan by the top link of the three point. You can simply unplug them until you get it sorted out. Not sure about where the headlights unplug other than right at the lamp. Both of those recommendations just treat the symptoms not the cause. Also, there 4 screws that hold the dash panel on, remove them and take a look behind the dash and see if you notice anything wrong back there at the light switch. It sounds like your switch has failed. Unplug it from there and see if the lights go out. If you have a multi-meter you can try and test the switch resistance. I am sure someone who is much smarter than me at electrical diagnostics will be along. I owned a 2210 for 4 years but I did not run into that particular issue. I had plenty of others to keep me occupied. :laugh:

Since you just got this tractor, have you read up on the historical drive shaft and PTO issues? For the drive shaft, make sure the U joints get greased on a regular basis.

and protect the driveshaft fan.

Reactions: rtgt and 69project
#4 ·
I recall some issues with some diodes and the flashers, but yes we need to know what "lights" are staying on to help any more.

Reactions: rtgt
#7 ·
OK - here is the lighting malfunction. I was incorrect about the malady.

The headlights work as they should.

The ROP lights stay on when the ignition is on - even when the switch is in the off position.

When the switch is in any on position, the right ROP light wants to flash all the time except when the switch is turned to activate the left blinker. Then both ROP lights are on (the left ROP light does not flash).

The left ROP light never flashes - even with the switch in the emergency flasher position.

Thanks, guys!

#9 ·
I would bet your left bulb is burned out. Probably from the constant flashing.
Possibly the switch was replaced and the wires reinstalled on the wrong terminals.
Possibly a wrong relay or flasher relay was installed. Maybe something the owner found at an auto parts store.

#8 ·
Unlike a mechanical system, you can't do a lot of diagnosis with electronics just by looking. You have to trace circuits and measure voltage - a test lamp will do. A wiring diagram is useful.

Since it sounds like the machine was used, assume the last owner was an idiot and took things apart without any idea how to reassemble them. Among the possibilities that come to mind are miswiring, a bad ground, bad light switch, a short, bad flasher. The first question I would answer is why are the lights on when the ignition is on and the light switch is off. Assuming that's not normal (I have no idea), then power has to be coming from SOMEWHERE!

Al

#11 ·
There are two logical models that are possible here:

Occam's Razor

or

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

My money is on Brother Ockham.

Assuming it is not just a coincidence, the symptoms sound a lot like what happens when something is miswired or a ground is lifted and current starts taking paths through low resistance devices like solenoids that make lamps light that shouldn't be lit.

But, again, these are just guesses. Get a wiring diagram and a test lamp and trace the fault. Way faster than guessing.

Al

#12 · (Edited)
Hey I have the same problem on my 2210 that just showed up last nite. This is an original tractor, no messy wiring issues. I presume it's the actual light switch, but have not started on the issue. The right ROPS flasher light is on continuously, and sometimes the left ROPS light will flash. Headlights and work light work as normal. I can unplug the ROPS lights easily enough, but I mow along roads and so I use them at times. Let me know if you found out anything on yours.

Reactions: SulleyBear
#14 ·
it's defiantly the light switch. I had the same problem. If you have to change out the hydraulic fan blade, take the seat, ROP"S & cover off and change out the U joints at the same time. I replaced the JD U joints with ones from NAPA part # UJ410, for 2 $ 54.00, they have a grease fitting on the end so they won't have to be changed again and you can grease them easily. You can also get at the fan blade at the same time, at JD it will cost $28.09 part # LVU802815. If your fairly handy with mechanics it will take about 6 hours to do both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.