Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: JD 2210 lights on all the time

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-31-2017 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks

JD 2210 lights on all the time

Howdy, Ya'll. I'm new to these parts, so be gentle.

I recently acquired a 2210 that I like a lot. Have replaced the PTO switch, broken a deck suspension rod, and now have another problem.

The lights stay on all the time. The switch seems to do nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    rtgt likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:36 AM
    Thanks
    Is it the headlights or the flashers? If it is the flashers you can unplug them. The wiring to them is under the seat pan by the top link of the three point. You can simply unplug them until you get it sorted out. Not sure about where the headlights unplug other than right at the lamp. Both of those recommendations just treat the symptoms not the cause. Also, there 4 screws that hold the dash panel on, remove them and take a look behind the dash and see if you notice anything wrong back there at the light switch. It sounds like your switch has failed. Unplug it from there and see if the lights go out. If you have a multi-meter you can try and test the switch resistance. I am sure someone who is much smarter than me at electrical diagnostics will be along. I owned a 2210 for 4 years but I did not run into that particular issue. I had plenty of others to keep me occupied.

Since you just got this tractor, have you read up on the historical drive shaft and PTO issues? For the drive shaft, make sure the U joints get greased on a regular basis.
    rtgt likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 69project View Post
    Is it the headlights or the flashers? If it is the flashers you can unplug them. The wiring to them is under the seat pan by the top link of the three point. You can simply unplug them until you get it sorted out. Not sure about where the headlights unplug other than right at the lamp. Both of those recommendations just treat the symptoms not the cause. Also, there 4 screws that hold the dash panel on, remove them and take a look behind the dash and see if you notice anything wrong back there at the light switch. It sounds like your switch has failed. Unplug it from there and see if the lights go out. If you have a multi-meter you can try and test the switch resistance. I am sure someone who is much smarter than me at electrical diagnostics will be along. I owned a 2210 for 4 years but I did not run into that particular issue. I had plenty of others to keep me occupied.

Since you just got this tractor, have you read up on the historical drive shaft and PTO issues? For the drive shaft, make sure the U joints get greased on a regular basis.

and protect the driveshaft fan.
    rtgt and 69project like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    I recall some issues with some diodes and the flashers, but yes we need to know what "lights" are staying on to help any more.
    rtgt likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I recall some issues with some diodes and the flashers, but yes we need to know what "lights" are staying on to help any more.
    Thanks to everyone for the help and the initiation into the world of the 2210. I will check that out and be more specific.

Concerning the PTO/drive shaft idiosyncrasies:

Is the fan less vulnerable when using the 2210 with a belly mower?
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson03 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the help and the initiation into the world of the 2210. I will check that out and be more specific.

Concerning the PTO/drive shaft idiosyncrasies:

Is the fan less vulnerable when using the 2210 with a belly mower?
    Yes, If you are just using the tractor for mowing the mower deck will help and when mowing it is a good chance that you will not encounter sticks that will find there a way to the fan.

Doug
    rtgt likes this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    OK - here is the lighting malfunction. I was incorrect about the malady.

The headlights work as they should.

The ROP lights stay on when the ignition is on - even when the switch is in the off position.

When the switch is in any on position, the right ROP light wants to flash all the time except when the switch is turned to activate the left blinker. Then both ROP lights are on (the left ROP light does not flash).

The left ROP light never flashes - even with the switch in the emergency flasher position.

Thanks, guys!
    rtgt likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Unlike a mechanical system, you can't do a lot of diagnosis with electronics just by looking. You have to trace circuits and measure voltage - a test lamp will do. A wiring diagram is useful.

Since it sounds like the machine was used, assume the last owner was an idiot and took things apart without any idea how to reassemble them. Among the possibilities that come to mind are miswiring, a bad ground, bad light switch, a short, bad flasher. The first question I would answer is why are the lights on when the ignition is on and the light switch is off. Assuming that's not normal (I have no idea), then power has to be coming from SOMEWHERE!

Al

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson03 View Post
    OK - here is the lighting malfunction. I was incorrect about the malady.

The headlights work as they should.

The ROP lights stay on when the ignition is on - even when the switch is in the off position.

When the switch is in any on position, the right ROP light wants to flash all the time except when the switch is turned to activate the left blinker. Then both ROP lights are on (the left ROP light does not flash).

The left ROP light never flashes - even with the switch in the emergency flasher position.

Thanks, guys!
    I would bet your left bulb is burned out. Probably from the constant flashing.
    Possibly the switch was replaced and the wires reinstalled on the wrong terminals.
    Possibly a wrong relay or flasher relay was installed. Maybe something the owner found at an auto parts store.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. All are helpful to a newbie like myself.

I only noticed the odd light situation after replacing the PTO switch. Is it possible that I got the wrong switch and caused the situation that way?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast