• 1 Post By Madwiese1

Thread: 60D mower issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-27-2017 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks

60D mower issues

Hi folks. New here.

Bought a 1025R a month or two ago to replace a 425. Still getting used to it. Some issues:

1) half the time when I engage the PTO, I hear this good solid "thunk". Half the time, it just engages smoothly. I can't seem to isolate it. What the heck is going to go "thunk"? The mating between the PTO shaft and the mower shaft seems fine, and I greased it. I'd guess it was belt take-up, but the deck is only a year old, it hasn't had time to go bad??? should I worry about this?

2) when I raise the deck, it goes "thunk" like the deck, or something, is hitting the frame. Is that right? Is that normal? This is with the hydraulic lift. I've adjusted it per the manual, best I can, but I can't seem to get this right somehow. So when I raise the deck, now, I try to be really gentle to avoid "thunk"ing.

3) mowing back and forth across the hillside, I always seem to end up with an uneven cut. Didn't have this with the 425. It's like the weight of the tractor somehow results in more of a tilt, so the low side digs in and the high side rises. Don't know an answer to this. I've adjusted the deck twice, and side to side seems fine. Up/down seems fine but is hard to do for a lot of the lawn. Any thoughts?

I gotta admit, I feel like I bought an elephant gun to take out a deer. I have only 3.5 acre. As a lawn mower, it's a great tractor. It maneuvers well enough (better than I thought) but it's big, it doesn't go under the trees well, it trods heavily on the grass. After the 425, well... I sort of wish I had a regular mower. A x7 would have been a better choice but a 2012 x7 with a FEL probably would have made more sense, but wife wants a FEL and a flat footboard (she just lost her right foot so flat foodboard makes it easier for her to drive), and dealer gave me a pretty good deal on this one (1yr old 2016, 86hr, FEL, 60D), so, SWMBO made the choice, not me. ('course, she didn't see an x7 either.)

I used to have FEL on one of my 425s, but had to sell it - FEL plus 425 on 25% grade hillside == not safe - but had really come to miss it. Plus driveway in winter w/o 4wd meant chains and 200+ lb of suitcase weights plus loaded tires == lot of stress on the transaxle; finally blew a seal on the second one, don't have time to fix it, so...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    The sound when you hit the PTO is the auto connect spline hitting the deck's gearbox spline. They have some play, if they fit like a glove you would not be able to connect as easy. Are you pulling the PTO while at idle? it will not be as loud, sometimes won't even hear it if you turn them on while at idle.
    buckteeth445 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think mine ever made that noise but you should be close to idle when you engage/disengage PTO. I would say you have something​ else going on. Some where on GTT there are detailed auto-connect set-up instructions. I would have the dealership come take a look at it if it's only 2 months old.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    Make sure you engage the PTO at low idle. Do Not hit it at a high throttle. That just hits it hard and will shorten the life of everything expensive to repair.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014- JD 1025r
    L120 59" FEL, 260 BH, 60D MMM
    66"/54" plow with Artillian extension and rubber edge
    Artillian 36" forks
    JD 550 3PT Tiller
    54" spike aerator
    Fimco 3PT 40 gal boom sprayer
    Trac-Vac 580
    CMP 3PT 60" Dethatcher
    51" Lucknow 3PT rear snowblower
    Omni Transformer 3PT weight rack w/ 2" hitch receiver 6-42lbs weights

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    03-17-2018 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    2- Make sure you don't have you deck set to lift too high. The round bar running between the lift arms will contact the frame. Also, the deck has the 2 tabs towards the front, on top, that will contact the lift arm mounts on the frame. I have mine set to raise very high. When I run around with the deck raise it will rock back and forth and bang off the stops. I've been considering dropping the max lift height some to prevent it.

3- How close are you running the gauge wheels to the ground? They have god to be nearly touching with these mowers. Also, air pressure in your rear tires. When i recieved mine from the dealer, the pressures were well below the recommended pressure, and the tractor would rock and sway a lot.
    BigJim55 likes this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GPrice View Post
    2- Make sure you don't have you deck set to lift too high. The round bar running between the lift arms will contact the frame. Also, the deck has the 2 tabs towards the front, on top, that will contact the lift arm mounts on the frame. I have mine set to raise very high. When I run around with the deck raise it will rock back and forth and bang off the stops. I've been considering dropping the max lift height some to prevent it.

3- How close are you running the gauge wheels to the ground? They have god to be nearly touching with these mowers. Also, air pressure in your rear tires. When i recieved mine from the dealer, the pressures were well below the recommended pressure, and the tractor would rock and sway a lot.
    Yeah, I learned about the tire pressure, and the right rear leaks, so that's an issue.

I'm not sure what's hitting when it comes up - but something has to, doesn't it? or is there a stop that the rockshaft will hit, and that's what it should be hitting?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2016 1025R, H120, 60D, R4, hydraulic lift, ballast box.
    Former 425 guy and kinda missin' it.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96PSD View Post
    Make sure you engage the PTO at low idle. Do Not hit it at a high throttle. That just hits it hard and will shorten the life of everything expensive to repair.
    I see what you're saying, but I tried it at lower speeds, and it seems to thunk as hard. Unfortunately I seem to need to turn the mower on and off a lot more than I would like to even with the RIO. Sigh. Maybe I do need a smaller mower.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2016 1025R, H120, 60D, R4, hydraulic lift, ballast box.
    Former 425 guy and kinda missin' it.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    05-01-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    I noticed mine doing the same thing and determined the lift arms were set to low. I raised it 1/2 inch and reduced the thunk noise by about 75%. It gives me a half inch higher cut which is a bonus for me.
    BigJim55 likes this.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements