Dealer Forgot to Reinstall Hydraulic Fluid Fill Cap on 1025R after 50 Hour Service
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Dealer Forgot to Reinstall Hydraulic Fluid Fill Cap on 1025R after 50 Hour Service

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks

Dealer Forgot to Reinstall Hydraulic Fluid Fill Cap on 1025R after 50 Hour Service

I had a 50 hour service completed last fall at the dealer on my 1025R which included a hydraulic fluid change. I did not use the tractor much over the winter, some firewood hauling and road grading, but now that summer is here I have mowed the grass at least 3 or 4 times. I decided to give the tractor a good cleaning and as I was blowing off the dust before washing, I discovered the following under my seat:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inked20170610_105654_LI.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.84 MB 
ID:	386914

The yellow arrow is pointing to where I found my oil fill screw cap and the blue arrow is where it should have been. Notice all the dust around the hole? Obviously when the technician finished the maintenance, he forgot to replace the cap and it has been sitting under my seat for more than 6 months with the reservoir open to the environment. I know there would not have been any water contamination as I store the tractor in the garage, but I suspect some amount of dust or dirt has managed to get in. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was still clear and bright (Navy terms), so the filters are obviously doing their job.

Besides showing this photo to the service manager, should I be concerned about any long term issues? Does it warrant a fluid change? I'm at about 86 hours at the moment. I'm kicking myself for not noticing, but with the seat down, it was not apparent. I suppose at a minimum I could pull and clean the oil pump suction screen and replace the transmission filter.

Thoughts?
    Levi, BigJim55, raco232 and 1 others like this.
    2014 1025r, H120 FEL, D60 AutoConnect Deck with JD BM23978 Mulching Kit and Mower Deck Axles, Frontier BB5048L Box Blade, Frontier RB 2060L Rear Blade, iMatch, John Deere 2" receiver hitch, Herd M-96 Seeder, The Driveway Groomer, Ken's Grab Hooks Combo, Ken's Differential Pedal

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzrjim View Post
    I had a 50 hour service completed last fall at the dealer on my 1025R which included a hydraulic fluid change. I did not use the tractor much over the winter, some firewood hauling and road grading, but now that summer is here I have mowed the grass at least 3 or 4 times. I decided to give the tractor a good cleaning and as I was blowing off the dust before washing, I discovered the following under my seat:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inked20170610_105654_LI.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	5.84 MB 
ID:	386914

The yellow arrow is pointing to where I found my oil fill screw cap and the blue arrow is where it should have been. Notice all the dust around the hole? Obviously when the technician finished the maintenance, he forgot to replace the cap and it has been sitting under my seat for more than 6 months with the reservoir open to the environment. I know there would not have been any water contamination as I store the tractor in the garage, but I suspect some amount of dust or dirt has managed to get in. I pulled the dipstick and the oil was still clear and bright (Navy terms), so the filters are obviously doing their job.

Besides showing this photo to the service manager, should I be concerned about any long term issues? Does it warrant a fluid change? I'm at about 86 hours at the moment. I'm kicking myself for not noticing, but with the seat down, it was not apparent. I suppose at a minimum I could pull and clean the oil pump suction screen and replace the transmission filter.

Thoughts?
    Your probably okay. If you worried about it do a filter change and go on. If you store inside and don't run it much. Maybe some dirt got in. If anything change filters or just dump and fill fluid. Put clean low-vis in and press on bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks

Tell manager

I would certainly tell the service manager, ask what you should do and see what his response is. I think you are ok but a good service manager will apologize profusely and offer to change out the fluid and filter. A great one would offer to change and pick up and deliver free.

At the least, they should give you the fluid and filter for you to do the work.

The issue is that it's just your word that you didn't do it yourself and try to scam them out of free service. I'm not saying you would but I'm sure it happens.

Treefarmer
    Levi, BigJim55, raco232 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Agreed, check fluid, fill as needed, business as usual, at 250 hours change the hydro fluid yourself so it's done right.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Exactly what treefarmer said. We had a tech do this on a 3038e and we went and picked it up and did a full service for free and wash and clean as good as we could and took back to him. He was upset but we made it right and no harm was done. Now they have to win back your trust and respect. Put the ball in their court and see what they say. Don't hold back tell them how you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Levi, BigJim55, flyweight and 4 others like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mar524ak For This Useful Post:

nastorino (06-11-2017)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 10:21 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments so far. I will definitely stop and show the service manager the photo and see what his response will be. I won't be by there for a couple weeks, but it has waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
    2014 1025r, H120 FEL, D60 AutoConnect Deck with JD BM23978 Mulching Kit and Mower Deck Axles, Frontier BB5048L Box Blade, Frontier RB 2060L Rear Blade, iMatch, John Deere 2" receiver hitch, Herd M-96 Seeder, The Driveway Groomer, Ken's Grab Hooks Combo, Ken's Differential Pedal

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzrjim View Post
    Thanks for the comments so far. I will definitely stop and show the service manager the photo and see what his response will be. I won't be by there for a couple weeks, but it has waited this long, a few more days won't hurt.
    Don't procrastinate. Call them to mention what happened. You can always email or text them the pictures. Waiting longer to notify them won't help your position.

Another note. Any time you have a warranty problem notify the dealer as soon as you find it. Then follow the dealerships instructions to the letter. Such as stop using the piece of equipment until it is inspected or fixed. Sometimes continuing to use it will cause further damage.

Also the day you call should be recorded as your "problem" date. This is especially important if your warranty is close to expiring. For instance. Your warranty is set to expire in one week. However the dealership won't be able to look at or fix your tractor for 2-3 weeks. This way the dealer will still be able to get your repair cover.

Back in 2007 I worked for a H-D dealer. A customer stopped in over the winter. He came by the service counter to mention a problem that his 2005 bike was having. Said it started running bad towards the end of the season. Then eventually it wouldn't run at all. He mentioned waiting until spring to bring it in. I gave him the same advice. Turns out the engine had bad valve guide seals. It was burning so much oil that the plugs looked like a Hershey's Kiss. Turns out he only had another 2 weeks of warranty left. If he would have waited until spring it would not have been covered.

I would agree that the missing cap should not have hurt anything.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 06-11-2017 at 05:47 AM.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 2,264 Posts
    This stuff happens. Places like Deere are super busy right now and rushed.

Just like now I have my truck serviced at the Ford garage. I always check under the hood before I leave just in case something like this happens.
    Levi and CountryLakes1025R like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    6 months? Wow. I'm going to go against what the others have said. Sure, it's the dealer's fault when it happened. But at 6 months without a visual inspection of your machine, I'd have to own that one as my mistake. The manual clearly states to do a visual inspection before every use.

Let's put it this way, had this happened on a jobsite and you were the superintendent, your service mechanic did this but it was your operator who's required to inspect the equipment daily only notices this after 6 months, who would you hold at fault? IMHO, they both do. But the operator should have caught this on day one.

I'd still go to them, but if they don't offer anything, I'd still have to be OK with that and carry on. Mistakes and blunders happen. That's just part of life.

Don't let my opinion hurt your feelings either. It's just my opinion.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

UnionSchnauzer (06-11-2017)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    6 months? Wow. I'm going to go against what the others have said. Sure, it's the dealer's fault when it happened. But at 6 months without a visual inspection of your machine, I'd have to own that one as my mistake. The manual clearly states to do a visual inspection before every use.

Let's put it this way, had this happened on a jobsite and you were the superintendent, your service mechanic did this but it was your operator who's required to inspect the equipment daily only notices this after 6 months, who would you hold at fault? IMHO, they both do. But the operator should have caught this on day one.

I'd still go to them, but if they don't offer anything, I'd still have to be OK with that and carry on. Mistakes and blunders happen. That's just part of life.

Don't let my opinion hurt your feelings either. It's just my opinion.
    Shared responsibility. Kumbaya
    Troutsniffer, Levi and coaltrain like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower