Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 3 point hitch question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 AM
    Thanks

3 point hitch question

If I do not tighten the turnbuckles on the 3 pt hitch, it sways to the point of popping off the retaining clip to one of the arms... found this out the hard way. Anyway; the key ring things provided by JD on my 1025R to keep the turnbuckles from loosening to say the least are a pain in the butt.

I am looking around for something that would provide a better ease of use situation. I have entertained the idea of some kinda lock to replace the turnbuckle key ring things as well as a stablelize or even an aftermarket iHitch (way cheaper). Will anybody please help me with any ideas on this? I have always found extremely helpful advice from y'all on here and as always, many thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    You could do a couple of things-
    1) Replace the factory turnbuckles with a different set, that functions differently. Instead of using the pin, for instance, get a set with a jam nut. Unfortunately, there is not an option to replace the turnbuckles with telescoping stabilizers. I build them, so I'm right familiar with stabilizers. The setup on many compact John Deere tractors, including yours, is way too short for telescoping stabilizers to function. Therefore, you are restricted to turnbuckles.
    2) Use what you have, and get a quick hitch. Then, you set your turnbuckles to accommodate the hitch, then leave it alone. All of your implements, though, need to be compatible with the quick hitch.

That's about it.

I hated the factory turnbuckles on my 790, with worked the same as your current ones. I did build a set of telescoping stabilizers, and they fit, but they were simply too short to have enough holes/adjustment to work satisfactorily. Therefore, I bought an aftermarket set of turnbuckles, that had a handle for adjustment, and uses a jam nut to keep them tight. They aren't ideal, but they work and they are better than the factory turnbuckles.
    greenharley likes this.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bama21fs View Post
    If I do not tighten the turnbuckles on the 3 pt hitch, it sways to the point of popping off the retaining clip to one of the arms... found this out the hard way. Anyway; the key ring things provided by JD on my 1025R to keep the turnbuckles from loosening to say the least are a pain in the butt.

I am looking around for something that would provide a better ease of use situation. I have entertained the idea of some kinda lock to replace the turnbuckle key ring things as well as a stablelize or even an aftermarket iHitch (way cheaper). Will anybody please help me with any ideas on this? I have always found extremely helpful advice from y'all on here and as always, many thanks in advance!
    Post some pics and you will get help. With rig on level surface, Your implement should be dead centered in relation to the rigs three point, leveled with the adjustable lift arm on the,"rear passenger side", angled with the adjustment of the upper link and sway turn buckles snugged up so there isn't side to side play but not so tight that the,"lift and lowering" stresses those rig side pins of the lower lift arms. lube everything with fluid film, raise and lower implement, adjust as need be and tune it up before you roll.

I also use harpin clips
    Last edited by Firemark; 06-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    bama21fs likes this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Firemark For This Useful Post:

bama21fs (06-20-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    On my 2720 turnbuckles I replaced the key ring (aka devil ring) with a simple hairpin clip. The length of the hairpin keeps the turnbuckle from rotating. I've been using it this way for over 3 years now and no issues.

I can take a photo if you like.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    On my 2720 turnbuckles I replaced the key ring (aka devil ring) with a simple hairpin clip. The length of the hairpin keeps the turnbuckle from rotating. I've been using it this way for over 3 years now and no issues.

I can take a photo if you like.
    i use the same thing on my 2520-which is just an older model of the 2720. but i found u have to find just the right length of one-or it will work down a hair and let it rotate some. one side always stays put-other side not so good. guessing it's from making right turns all the time
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Thanks
    I replaced the ring things (ugh) with a cotter pin, and never had a problem after that.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:31 PM
    Thanks
    I went to tractor supply company and got different pins.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks all! I am going to try the big cotter key thing and also look for the turnbuckles with a jam nut. Fill better with the turnbuckles with jam nuts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some?
    greenharley likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks all! I am going to try the big cotter key thing and also look for the turnbuckles with a jam nut. Fill better with the turnbuckles with jam nuts. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some?
    I bought something like this-
    https://www.compactractorparts.com/t...ut-lock-washer
    For my 790. You would need to reduce the length- cut the links off on the axle side, and make/have made a flat plate to attach to the rod. I haven't seen anything that is built specifically for the 1025.
    You may find that adapting what you already have is the simplest solution. I, personally, like the buckle with the handle- it is easier to adjust.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    My setup is a little different but I think this what the guys are talking about, I installed larger locking keys or pins or whatever they are called.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1406.JPG   DSCN1407.JPG   DSCN1408.JPG  
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

14. Remove Advertisements