• 4 Post By Levi
  • 3 Post By srsvii

Thread: 1025R Seat Upgrade ?'s

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 05:52 PM
    Thanks

1025R Seat Upgrade ?'s

I've been reviewing all the 1025R seat improvement discussions I can find and see some like the puffer as an option. I guess I'm in the same boat at many, over 60, spinal problems, arthritis, ruptured discs, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, etc. We all need the maximum protection available out there. Even my wife told me to get an improvement after seeing my condition exacerbated by mowing our 7 acres. Being down for several days from mowing takes the fun out of it.

I've considered several options. Air shocks replacing the front suspension springs. Air shocks replacing the rear rubber stops. Building an air shock system incl. a mini compressor to service the current seat suspension of the 1025R. A Milsco seat. A KM Grammar seat suspension. All seem to require modifications that I may not be able to do myself with my expertise and limited mechanic equipment.

That said, for those using the Puffer seat option:
    - Do you like it?
    - Was it difficult to install?
    - Did you install on a 1025R? Any options for the 1025R to mate it to OEM seat?
    - Does it protect your back and body over uneven, bumpy terrain?
    - Does it remove the shock of the bumps and provide an "even ride" like you get in a good car?
    - Over time, do you think it brings the most protection of the options you seen on GTT?
    - Any complaints, problems, repairs or customer service issues with the manufacture?
    - Would you recommend it to someone in my position?
    - Comments pro or con?

if not the Puffer then what works for you if you share my sorry physical condition?

I don't want nor can put a fortune into this project yet my body can not take the uneven terrain I have to mow over all the time. The "puffer" appears to be a tenable solution given my parameters of age, financing, mechanical aptitude and need.

Guess I'm asking for a complete solution and not wanting to pay for it so I'm taking a best available option approach but don't want to buy a pig in a poke and be stuck with it and out my money. I'm casting my net out to the GTT family for sensible suggestions and experience with suspension systems on a 1025R tractor.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to try to answer my convoluted questions. I'm charged and accepting of being overly verbal on my keyboard. Sometimes its the pain talking yet I enjoy mowing from my days in golf course management.
    BigJim55 and buckteeth445 like this.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your bad back! Sold a 2305 recently and one potential buyer was disabled from a back injury. He told me about a zero turn he purchased with a full suspension made by Ferris. Said it was the only way he could mow his lawn. Not sure what you use your tractor for other than mowing? Possibly selling it and looking into a machine such as the Ferris may be an alternate plan? Just wanted to mention this if nothing else works out for you!
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bad back! Sold a 2305 recently and one potential buyer was disabled from a back injury. He told me about a zero turn he purchased with a full suspension made by Ferris. Said it was the only way he could mow his lawn. Not sure what you use your tractor for other than mowing? Possibly selling it and looking into a machine such as the Ferris may be an alternate plan? Just wanted to mention this if nothing else works out for you!
    Thanks for the thought. I need the JD tractor for snow plowing and front end loader applications. That said, I'm seriously looking at the Puffer adaption for a potential semi/band aide solution to the situation. Their web site has the 1026R listed as compatible for the adaption and that unit is the same as my 1025R so far as I know, seat wise anyway.

Should anyone have further suggestions please forward.

I have heard the Ferris is a very good rider and was told the Ventrac (Steiner) has "poor man's suspension" meaning a very low tire pressure allowing sidewall flexing as a way to soften the ride. Unfortunately that unit is priced beyond my ability to access and the necessary options would push the price further north of my ability to own. That said I really am liking my 1025R as I become accustomed to using it for various projects. The seat is a sticking point which is a shame. I am looking at Goodyear's air spring options along with the Puffer and think I will find something that makes it tenable to use for me. My back is not going to get any better and likely will deteriorate further as I'm scheduled for MRI's of my entire back next week. I'm concerned that they will show more issues as the set from 2011 revealed some serious problems. BUT, I'm still walking, talking, typing and mowing so I'm better off than many others who are limited to wheel chairs or bedridden therefore I'm very blessed to be able to do what I can right now. Tolerating the pain is the trick and that is a cruel trick at best as I mowed the field today and and feeling the burn right now. Yet, that is far better than not being able to do so. Enough about me.

If someone has more input please forward. This site is absolutely amazing. The plethora of knowledge and genius here supplants anything I've ever seen. I'll continue to read and learn from others adventures right here every day.

I see you live in western NC in the mountains. We love your home area. What town is closest to your home? We are thinking of driving (wife does that now as I am limited to what I can drive, her orders) into the Smokies this fall and possibly up the Blue Ridge Parkway again, to Mt. Mitchell for another visit (we are state highpointers and visit the highest point of each state, we scaled 37 so far). Mt. Mitchell is a lovely place and must be more amazing in the fall. Looking forward to enjoying you part of the country again.
    Last edited by srsvii; 06-15-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Here is some seat modification reading for you...

Oops, see you already found it.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...eat-1025r.html
    Last edited by Bulitt; 06-16-2017 at 06:07 AM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    I had not heard of the Puffer before. Having similar ageing problems as you, I looked around a while back. The seats and bases I found seemed to be designed to handle bouncing up and down, and front to back whiplash forces. But, the biggest stress for my back and neck is side to side lurching of the tractor, and I never saw a seat that I thought would really dampen that movement. Anybody found one?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    My lower back problem must be different then most. When I work doing medial labor work my back lets me know it's there. When I mow I'm all over the place on the seat and fender area with lots of twisting around. When I get done mowing my back feels better. I think it's all the twisting that I do that helps it, maybe even putting it back in place where it's supposed to be. I did buy and replace the springs with heaver ones so I very seldom bottom out. That being said I would like to replace my seat with the one that comes with the X700 series tractors. They can adjust the back of the seat forward and back which I like as my seat back is to far back to sit comfortably in the up-right position. Maybe I my back is allergic to work.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Wish I had you back

Oh to feel better after mowing for four or five hours.

I agree with an above poster that the side to side bob and weave motion is just as bad and depending on your terrain could easily could be worse than the up and down or front to back rocking. My was so violent on Wednesday that my left knee slammed into the tractor and still hurts.

I recognize there is no suspension that will smooth out my terrain completely but there has to be something better than the buckboard suspension the 1025R came with.

I won't belabor it. The puffer seemed like the most reasonable and economical air seat solution. I'm in discussion with them today and hopefully tomorrow to ascertain the ability to mount it on my 1025R. They sold one last week to someone in Iowa with same unit and have sold them to owners in the past, They didn't have the correct person to discuss the particulars on site today.

My wife "ordered" me to call them and have it sent for installation and my JD dealer told me they would see to it that it was mounted if it required any fabrication I could not do myself. When momma orders you to buy an extra you must look bad after the mowing.

I think it is more than a cottage industry for those with aging backs and bodies to provide a good solution to this dilemma many of us face.

If the one person who has solved this issue is out there, hold up your hand and type with the other hand!
    Levi, BigJim55 and Busman like this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements