• 1 Post By CanyonVR
  • 2 Post By genesusie

Thread: 1025 seat question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

1025 seat question

Had a few seat problems with a less than 1 year old 1025. First the infamous turn buckle broke. The dealer fixed it but put the seat assembly on backwards so off it went, back to dealer. Next the material on the arm rests split on both sides. I installed them today and took a good look at everything re: the seat. When you tilt the seat forward. It pivots on a rod. The brackets that hold that rod were bent and the spacers on the bolts were in the wrong spot. Rebent the tabs that held that bracket and reinstalled the brackets that hold that rod. Next I noticed a bolt was missing. It was one of the four that bolt the actual seat. Had a metric bolt that was too long, cut on the bandsaw and filed the kerf. That problem solved. This has me guessing if anything else is wrong. My seat was some slop in all directions, forward,backward and side to side. Should I take the seat off and snug up the four bolts that would tighten the turning setup, or is this normal? The four nuts and bolts that actually hold the swiveling plates together.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Had a few seat problems with a less than 1 year old 1025. First the infamous turn buckle broke. The dealer fixed it but put the seat assembly on backwards so off it went, back to dealer. Next the material on the arm rests split on both sides. I installed them today and took a good look at everything re: the seat. When you tilt the seat forward. It pivots on a rod. The brackets that hold that rod were bent and the spacers on the bolts were in the wrong spot. Rebent the tabs that held that bracket and reinstalled the brackets that hold that rod. Next I noticed a bolt was missing. It was one of the four that bolt the actual seat. Had a metric bolt that was too long, cut on the bandsaw and filed the kerf. That problem solved. This has me guessing if anything else is wrong. My seat was some slop in all directions, forward,backward and side to side. Should I take the seat off and snug up the four bolts that would tighten the turning setup, or is this normal? The four nuts and bolts that actually hold the swiveling plates together.
    Those two seat tabs that were bent and probable soon be again are the issue. I took the rod out and fit a piece of 5/8 galvanized pipe between. Probable should weld to the tabs. Very weak spot on that seat assembly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Thanks
    When I bought my backhoe, the dealer installed the rotating seat mechanism. In addition to it being installed backwards, I was amazed at how roughly it functioned. The dealer rep told me this was normal. I could see the seat bolts running into the mechanism as the seat was being turned. Either the design was terrible or somebody used the wrong parts to put it together. There was no way I could see John Deere considering the way this thing worked as being normal or acceptable. While turning the seat around to the proper direction, I lubricated everything that moved in the mechanism with JD Super Lube. I replaced the seat bolts with stainless steel button-head cap screws. (Please see this post.) The low profile of these screws cleared the mechanism during rotation and made rotation much easier. I also used the long tube that comes with Fluid Film to spray it deep between the plates that rotate on the seat. I sprayed it in there from all 4 sides. Now the seat turns easily with no interference whatsoever. All of this should have been done during the initial installation.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    When I bought my backhoe, the dealer installed the rotating seat mechanism. In addition to it being installed backwards, I was amazed at how roughly it functioned. The dealer rep told me this was normal. I could see the seat bolts running into the mechanism as the seat was being turned. Either the design was terrible or somebody used the wrong parts to put it together. There was no way I could see John Deere considering the way this thing worked as being normal or acceptable. While turning the seat around to the proper direction, I lubricated everything that moved in the mechanism with JD Super Lube. I replaced the seat bolts with stainless steel button-head cap screws. (Please see this post.) The low profile of these screws cleared the mechanism during rotation and made rotation much easier. I also used the long tube that comes with Fluid Film to spray it deep between the plates that rotate on the seat. I sprayed it in there from all 4 sides. Now the seat turns easily with no interference whatsoever. All of this should have been done during the initial installation.
    I did read your post. I lubed mine too. When I go back to pick up a chain saw part I'm going to check the seat on a showroom 1025 and see if it "sits" tighter than mine. It just seems that the seat sways a bit in all directions. Don't no if this is normal. The only left to tighten is the two pieces that allow for turning. The plate with the circular hole and the othe piece that's round and sits in the hole. Looked in the tech and parts manual and there wasn't much on it.
    etcallhome and keane like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    I did read your post. I lubed mine too. When I go back to pick up a chain saw part I'm going to check the seat on a showroom 1025 and see if it "sits" tighter than mine. It just seems that the seat sways a bit in all directions. Don't no if this is normal. The only left to tighten is the two pieces that allow for turning. The plate with the circular hole and the othe piece that's round and sits in the hole. Looked in the tech and parts manual and there wasn't much on it.
    It definitely sounds like something is loose on your seat mount. They do have some slop but not really too noticeable. Spray lube is key to keeping them swiveling smoothly.
    My heim joint swivel linkage broke twice on my seat. It was replaced the first time under warranty and the second time it broke, I fixed it with much better parts. http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...nkage-rod.html
    keane likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks
    The rotating seat was one of my first complaints, but I just got used to it. We nicknamed it the "floppy seat". Here are a few links:

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tay-level.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...vements-2.html

If you find a better solution, I'm all ears

Just my 2 cents.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Since I put the pipe between the two tabs I gave very little slop.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-13-2017 @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Had myself a bit of a seat problem too.

Cutting the grass, hit a bump, and one of the seat rail came off and launched me into the steering wheel.

Bolts for holding down the seat rails MIA. 3 out of 4 of them.

Anyone have a part number????
    keane likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    From what you guys are writing on the 1025R seat it is total different mounting than my 1023E. Is it because it flips around 180 degrees for the back hoe? As it is I can't se where anything could possibly go wrong on the 1023E seat mounting.

But I did change the seat on mine to a high back for back support. The original JD seat was better suited to a go cart for the grand sons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0107.JPG   IMG_0110.JPG  
    HydroHarold and rakane like this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements