1025R PTO speeds for mower and when to engage it?
Like Tree58Likes
  • 5 Post By USAFRet
  • 13 Post By dieselshadow
  • 5 Post By dieseldoghouse
  • 6 Post By etcallhome
  • 4 Post By HydroHarold
  • 7 Post By Levi
  • 4 Post By CountryLakes1025R
  • 4 Post By Bulitt
  • 4 Post By HydroHarold
  • 6 Post By ErikR

Thread: 1025R PTO speeds for mower and when to engage it?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks

1025R PTO speeds for mower and when to engage it?

Okay I am very new to my 1025R (4.5 hours lol) and just finished mowing my lawn for the second Saturday in a row and it was great.

Last week when I got it I mowed my lawn for the first time but when I was mowing on the dash was a digital readout. I think it has to do with the pto speed but not sure.

On that Monday I went and asked my dealer about it and he said I was imagining it. I know what I saw and it did it again today around 1950 to 2000 when I had the mower pto engaged and rpm was at 3200.

Also do I wait to bring the rpm up to 3200 and then engage the pto or engage the pto at a lower rpm?

This forum is so great and much easier to use then the manuals. (I tried reading them but there not a lot of help at times)
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 2 others like this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Always engage and disengage your PTO at idle. On the rare occasion your PTO powered implement stalls the engine upon engagement, raise the rpm as needed.

The digital readout does display what the RPM is of the PTO you have selected. 2100 on the front, 540 on the rear when the engine is running at the PTO symbol on the tach.

Have you read your owner's manual yet? It covers this and so much more. Very handy.
    etcallhome, pcabe5, rtgt and 10 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    Ditto on what dieselshadow said regarding engage speed (with a large tractor and a large implement you can turn a PTO shaft into a cruller!! - I did not, but I watched it happen - UNH, Tufts Vet School, student labor...). Always good to bring that mass (mower blades, Post hole auger, baler, et. al.) up to speed gradually. Also if both shafts are active you will only see the speed of the fastest (mid) posted.

Northwood, NH? I remember it well - Spyglass Elm, the old library! I knew the Smart family at ColdComfort Farm (by the old Ridge Store). Still remember the fun runs up the Ridge in my student-issue Datsun in 10" of snow - oh wait, that wasnt fun!! So... knowing the weather up there (its unique!) you'll get snow plowing practice! by say, October?!
    rtgt, Levi, Ray_PA and 2 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    As Dieselshadow stated ,,oh you can learn so much reading the manual.

We've owned minivans since the 80's , removed the 2nd row seat or moved them to around inside the van. Had to get the manual out because I could not get the seat to release. Amazing the info you can find.
    rtgt, Levi, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post

On that Monday I went and asked my dealer about it and he said I was imagining it. I know what I saw and it did it again today around 1950 to 2000 when I had the mower pto engaged and rpm was at 3200.

Also do I wait to bring the rpm up to 3200 and then engage the pto or engage the pto at a lower rpm?

This forum is so great and much easier to use then the manuals. (I tried reading them but there not a lot of help at times)
    First, call the nearest Psychological Problem Hotline to your dealer and get that poor ******* some help! He and his following customers need it!

Re: Manual: Everything you need to know is in the manual all the time, no log on, no spicy ads. If you feel you don't want to know your machine front to back and only want to solve problems, at least look down the list in the manual called "Table Of Contents" in the front. All your questions here are right there in B+W including PTO RPM's etc.

In case you don't get to it in the book, ALWAYS throttle down to idle BEFORE disengaging PTO. This protects unloaded gears and driveshafts.

Amen, end of sermon.

Enjoy!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Guess that answers them questions so I'll just shut up.
    pcabe5, HydroHarold, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-02-2019 @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    Guess that answers them questions so I'll just shut up.
    What he said!
    HydroHarold, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.

--- Ed ---

*2016 1025R TLB, 54" Auto Connect MMM w/ mulch kit, Imatch, Wheel Wts
    Artiliian 42" Forks
    JD 54 Plow Blade w/ Artillian Snow Plow System
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks & Clevis, 2x2 Bolt on Receiver, Diff Pedal, Seat Spring Upgrade, Oblong Ring Slings
    SD Hvy Hitch, Combo Cart, 53" Toothbar, Front Weight Hitch
    R2 Edge Tamers
    JD HP 45 Gallon 3-PT Hitch Sprayer
    BXpanded BH Thumb, Quick Connect, Ripper Blade, Trench Bucket
    Mower Deck Axle
    8 JD Suitcase Wts

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 04:45 PM
    Thanks
    Everything but the required lube interval on the 2305 driveshafts....
    HydroHarold, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    Bob - 2011 2520

2520 Mods - http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2520-mods.html
    Posted for general info only. Not suggesting you alter your tractor based upon my feeble minded posts. Do so at your own risk. Maintenance and mods should be performed by a JD Dealer, or refer to your owners and maintenance manuals for proper procedures.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulitt View Post
    Everything but the required lube interval on the 2305 driveshafts....
    AND, the biggest JD secret of all.... How much grease for mower spindles. Like prunes, "4 too many, 6 not enough?"
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 AM
    Thanks
    I know several ex-military and they all have one thing in common.... They're usually all fanatics for doing things by the book.

Just and FYI, here's a link to an on-line 1025r owners manual.

OMLVU25849

Spend some free time taking a look at it. Lots of easy to access info there.

Here's a link to their on-line manual search page...

John Deere Ag - New Equipment: Technical Publications - Equipment Search

Enjoy the tractor, and good luck!
    HydroHarold, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements