Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Smoke when starting engine.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-07-2019 @ 03:00 PM
    Thanks

Smoke when starting engine.

The engine on my 1025r smokes a little when I start the engine the first time after it has been sitting a couple of days. I don't know much about the Diesel engine on this tractor. The smoke concerns me a little a bit. On a gasoline engine if this was happening I would think a little oil has slipped past valve guide seals into the cylinders. But on a brand new engine this should not be happening.

Anybody else out there had this experience?

P.S. I am sure glad for Green Tractor Talk. As a new JD tractor owner I don't know where else I would get the kind of information I am getting here. So far I am not impressed with my dealer. Now that they have my money getting anything from them hasn't been easy.
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-26-2019 @ 06:32 AM
    Thanks
    Completely normal for a few (10 seconds or so) of smoke and rough running from a 1025r.

HOWEVER Color of smoke and length of smoking can be important. If you post a video we can certainly give a more accurate impression

Additionally do make certain you do not start the engine until the Glow Plug light goes out
    Last edited by mn1025rfilb; 06-19-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    2015 1025r FILB (H120 49" w/piranha bar & KBOGHs, 60" Auto-connect MMM)
    Artillian Frame, Forks, Grapple and Diverter
    BB2060 Frontier Box Blade
    PB1001 Frontier 1 Bottom Turning Plow
    54" JD Snow Blower
    647JD Tiller
    LP1160 land plane
    Tektite Backhoe cab

Just need a Wallenstein Chipper and... I'm sure I'll think of something more

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Thanks
    I guarantee there is not a person here whose 1025 doesn't smoke during a cold start. It's what they do.

I wouldn't worry unless you had excessive blue smoke when working it hard and after its been warmed up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-22-2017 @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with AJgrn78,

To elaborate a little, diesel engine smoke/exhaust symptoms usually mean:

Blue smoke: oil burning in combustion (maybe okay on cold start, not good on a hot start or when under load.)
    White smoke: un-burnt/raw diesel in the exhaust (maybe okay on a cold start on a very cold day, not good on a hot start or under load).
    Black smoke: heavy load or maybe incomplete combustion, on a cold start. Black smoke on a hot/warm idle is likely bad injector timing or fueling issue.

Of course, this would be on an engine that does not have a DPF/smog/emissions set up since the smog equipment masks a lot of smoke.
    BigJim55 and NeilHartP like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Thanks
    As others have said, white smoke and rough idle at start is normal. It gets worse in cold weather. If you cycle the glow plugs twice, this will help. Simply turn on the ignition, wait until the glow plug light goes out, then turn off the ignition and right back on, wait until the glow plug light goes out again, then start the engine.
    GreenBlood, PJR832 and NeilHartP like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    List of toys: 1998 Cummins Ram (12Valve), 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, the 1025R - and they all do it!! As Ray PA said, when its really cold double cycle the plugs (curiously we do the same with the Dodges and their intake air heaters - no glow plugs). Length and type of symptom determines if you need to call the diesel doctor!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mn1025rfilb View Post
    Completely normal for a few (10 seconds or so) of smoke and rough running from a 1025r.

HOWEVER Color of smoke and length of smoking can be important. If you post a video we can certainly give a more accurate impression

Additionally do make certain you do not start the engine until the Glow Plug light goes out
    Thanks for the tip about the glow plugs. That's a new one for me. That wasn't an issue for the "big" farm tractors I used to drive as a kid.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJgrn78 View Post
    I guarantee there is not a person here whose 1025 doesn't smoke during a cold start. It's what they do.

I wouldn't worry unless you had excessive blue smoke when working it hard and after its been warmed up.
    The smoke is only on a "cold" start. I haven't had it long enough to know what it would do in cold weather. It's not blue smoke so I guess I am good there, too. And I have never seen it smoke under heavy load. Out of curiosity, what does blue smoke mean?

Thanks!
    BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    As others have said, white smoke and rough idle at start is normal. It gets worse in cold weather. If you cycle the glow plugs twice, this will help. Simply turn on the ignition, wait until the glow plug light goes out, then turn off the ignition and right back on, wait until the glow plug light goes out again, then start the engine.
    Thanks for the tip on glow plugs.
    Ray_PA likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by msilveira View Post
    I agree with AJgrn78,

To elaborate a little, diesel engine smoke/exhaust symptoms usually mean:

Blue smoke: oil burning in combustion (maybe okay on cold start, not good on a hot start or when under load.)
    White smoke: un-burnt/raw diesel in the exhaust (maybe okay on a cold start on a very cold day, not good on a hot start or under load).
    Black smoke: heavy load or maybe incomplete combustion, on a cold start. Black smoke on a hot/warm idle is likely bad injector timing or fueling issue.

Of course, this would be on an engine that does not have a DPF/smog/emissions set up since the smog equipment masks a lot of smoke.
    I am pretty sure it is white smoke I am seeing. I'll pay more attention next time I start it cold. Thanks

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast