Like Tree41Likes

Thread: 1025R Height Adjustment Cam and Mid Mount Rockshaft Gap

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks

1025R Height Adjustment Cam and Mid Mount Rockshaft Gap

Hello
    Been surfing this site for a while for info and thanks to all the learning I have gathered from the great folks on this forum I finally pulled the trigger on a used 2016 1025R with 52 hours; standard vanilla machine with 54 auto connect and FEL
    One concern for me when I bought it was that the height adjustment won’t go into the lock position but thought not a big deal due to the fact I have read this can be adjusted. I went through dieselshadow’s adjustment instructions yesterday. It won’t go into lock due to the mid mount rockshaft hitting the cam adjuster so I assumed the gap was not set correctly. Beginning gap with the deck off was about 1/8” so just thought I would have to widen the gap to account for the weight of the mower when installed. Did what the instructions say loosening the three bolts and rotated the mid mount rockshaft forward to increase the gap, could only get a slight gap increase due to the fact the end of the linkage is hitting in the bend on the backside of the adjusting strap and will not allow it rotate any further forward when the strap is pushed all the way forward in the slot and tightened; therefore I only got about 3/16” gap and when reinstalling the deck it still will not go into lock position.
    Two solutions I see; carefully grind he end of the linkage to allow a bit more travel before bottoming out in the bend on the adjusting strap OR and here is the question; if I cheat and not push the adjusting strap all the way forward when tightening (which will give be a bit more adjustment on the gap due to the bend being a little more aft); what will that affect?
    Appreciate any and all input!
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Lift arm turnbuckles adjusted? Might need a bit of touch up, mine did. Needed to let mine out to the end of the threads to get a proper adjustment. It's easy, just a PIA, clip, pin out, rotate turnbuckle, pin, clip, try it, etc.

Got mine back from the dealer last week for a mower trapeze lift mechanism replacement. I should go over the entire business under there and see if they did any fooling around with the adjustments (which were wrong on original delivery). I wonder what percentage of techs can perform an accurate step by step auto connect adjustment (and service managers who allow 'em enough time) before delivery...?
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    If it wont go into lock with the manual lift the problem is likely with the strap. I will look up the procedure tomorrow and post it. Its pretty quick fast and in a hurry but I dont want to tell you wrong. So I will double check.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Lift arm turnbuckles adjusted? Might need a bit of touch up, mine did. Needed to let mine out to the end of the threads to get a proper adjustment. It's easy, just a PIA, clip, pin out, rotate turnbuckle, pin, clip, try it, etc.

Got mine back from the dealer last week for a mower trapeze lift mechanism replacement. I should go over the entire business under there and see if they did any fooling around with the adjustments (which were wrong on original delivery). I wonder what percentage of techs can perform an accurate step by step auto connect adjustment (and service managers who allow 'em enough time) before delivery...?
    Percentage of techs? I can only comment on ours. We had a couple jack legs that rushed thru it after being "schooled". We had to redo em all. They no longer work for us. When I do one.. It's a simple process. When done.. We drive over the deck and stop. Put trans in neutral, shut off and get off. Then we grab the rear tire and roll it into the latches. If she latches by hand.. It's right. Then we unlatch and relatch 5x using the tractor... On and off 5x. Then check and recheck everything is tight. Using that method. .no recalls. My service mgr hates us going over time.. Hates even worse getting "that call"! All good.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (06-30-2017), HydroHarold (06-27-2017), Minuteman17 (05-29-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    I have seen it where the adjusting strap (23) was put on with the bend facing the wrong direction which created problems with the deck lifting and locking. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

Check to make sure that the adjusting strap is mounted so that the part towards the front of the tractor is closest to the rear tire and the strap bends inward away from the tire as you go towards the rear of the tractor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mechanical Mower Lift Linkage.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	398057

EDIT: Here's the post with pictures. Pay attention to the direction of the bend in the adjusting strap.

EDIT2: Here is a post with the PDF of the installation instructions for the mechanical lift kit. It also shows the correct strap orientation.
    Last edited by Traction; 06-26-2017 at 09:09 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

keane (05-29-2018), Minuteman17 (05-29-2018), xcopterdoc (06-26-2017)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    I have seen it where the adjusting strap (23) was put on with the bend facing the wrong direction which created problems with the deck lifting and locking. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

Check to make sure that the adjusting strap is mounted so that the part towards the front of the tractor is closest to the rear tire and the strap bends inward away from the tire as you go towards the rear of the tractor.

Name:	Mechanical Mower Lift Linkage.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	398057

EDIT: Here's the post with pictures. Pay attention to the direction of the bend in the adjusting strap.

EDIT2: Here is a post with the PDF of the installation instructions for the mechanical lift kit. It also shows the correct strap orientation.
    Sweet.. Good deal.. Got me off the hook! Lol

PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input guys.
    Thanks for the great illustration. All parts are installed in the proper direction as shown; I did see that post as well and was the first thing I checked to be sure.
    My problem is item 22 on the aft end is hitting in the bend radius on item 23 and not allowing any more forward movement of the mid mount rockshaft so I can increase the gap a bit more at step one in the process. Was looking at it again last evening and think I am going to carefully grind some off the end of item 22 or even a 45 deg angle just to get a bit more clearance for the end of the arm as it interfaces with that bend radius.
    Must say beyond that auto connect seems to work flawless so tech must have done something right. Hopefully I won't screw that up!! If so the adjustments look understandable so I am hoping I can fix it if I do!!
    Probably not going to be able to get to it till the weekend but will let you know the outcome.
    Thanks for all the input!
    PJR832 and WhiskeySixRadio like this.

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    No need to grind the strap.

I think your rockshaft position feedback needs to be adjusted because your rockshaft arms are not raising high enough. The rockshaft position feedback allows the rockshaft arms to raise to maximum height without engaging the relief valve. If it is incorrectly set, either the arms will raise too high and activate the relief valve, or the arms won't raise high enough which in turn will not allow the mechanical lift arm to raise your mower deck high enough to clear the cam and engage the lock.

Here is the procedure found in the tech manual (highly recommended to have the tech manual; they are $65 for the electronic copy from John Deere):

Name:	Adjust Rockshaft Position Feedback.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	398433

Here is the diagram of the position feedback (#35, adjusted using #33):

Name:	Rockshaft Control Valve.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	398441

After you adjust the position feedback, you may need to adjust the strap (#22/#23) so it isn't so short. The end of #22 should not be bumping up against the radius bend in #23.
    Last edited by Traction; 06-27-2017 at 12:36 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

Minuteman17 (05-29-2018)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    No need to grind the strap.

I think your rockshaft position feedback needs to be adjusted because your rockshaft arms are not raising high enough. The rockshaft position feedback allows the rockshaft arms to raise to maximum height without engaging the relief valve. If it is incorrectly set, either the arms will raise too high and activate the relief valve, or the arms won't raise high enough which in turn will not allow the mechanical lift arm to raise your mower deck high enough to clear the cam and engage the lock.

Here is the procedure found in the tech manual (highly recommended to have the tech manual; they are $65 for the electronic copy from John Deere):

Name:	Adjust Rockshaft Position Feedback.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	398433

Here is the diagram of the position feedback (#35, adjusted using #33):

Name:	Rockshaft Control Valve.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	398441

After you adjust the position feedback, you may need to adjust the strap (#22/#23) so it isn't so short. The end of #22 should not be bumping up against the radius bend in #23.

Traction
    I am a bit confused. In step 5 of the procedure you sent in the NOTE it states to measure at the center of the lift arm pins. Are they referring to item 14 in the first diagram you sent where the mower lift arms attach? And second what are you measuring to?
    Last edited by Wj80; 06-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-20-2017 @ 06:22 PM
    Thanks
    Mine is in the shop for the same thing. Number 17 was placed in backwards from the dealer and my knob would not rotate all the way around. I watched the tech try to loosen the three nuts and adjust the lift arms but got nothing. They took the mower off and got under it and found one bushing on the lift arm just sliding back and forth. The other wouldn't come out without heat and they didnt want to take the plastics off. Whole new bar for the lift arms is comming. Had the tractor for 8 months and has seen the shop 6 times. Love the machine but getting tired of the small stuff.
    2017 1025R Flb w/Kens Kooks
    17 P Hydraulic Dump Trailer
    Quick Hitch with Heavy Hitch
    48 Box Blade
    54 MMM
    42 Artillian Forks

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast