Interesting PTO observation
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree30Likes
  • 3 Post By Termite
  • 2 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 4 Post By jgayman
  • 6 Post By Treefarmer
  • 3 Post By HydroHarold
  • 3 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 6 Post By Traction
  • 1 Post By HydroHarold
  • 2 Post By Minuteman17

Thread: Interesting PTO observation

  1. Top | #1
    Termite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 31 Times in 27 Posts

    Interesting PTO observation

    While sitting on the tractor yesterday I started playing with the PTO. No attachment on, just turning it on and off. It seems that if your off the tractor you can turn on the rear PTO and everything will stay running. If you sit in the seat and turn on the rear and then get off the seat it will shut the tractor down. Interesting
    Robnik, OCFX4 and PJR832 like this.
    2017 1025R TLB
    Artillian 36" forks
    54" snowblower
    54" plow
    I-Match
    53" loader bucket
    16" backhoe bucket

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 891 Times in 334 Posts
    Correct

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Robnik and PJR832 like this.

  4. Top | #3
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,987
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Termite View Post
    While sitting on the tractor yesterday I started playing with the PTO. No attachment on, just turning it on and off. It seems that if your off the tractor you can turn on the rear PTO and everything will stay running. If you sit in the seat and turn on the rear and then get off the seat it will shut the tractor down. Interesting
    That is all detailed in the owner's manual. There is a specific procedure for running a rear implement like a wood chipper, etc. which requires the rear PTO to be operating and the operator off the seat. The manual gives the sequence for operating such implements. It only works for the rear PTO.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Location
    Eastern Virginia, United States
    Posts
    4,530
    Thanks
    344
    Thanked 817 Times in 534 Posts

    I can never remember that

    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    That is all detailed in the owner's manual. There is a specific procedure for running a rear implement like a wood chipper, etc. which requires the rear PTO to be operating and the operator off the seat. The manual gives the sequence for operating such implements. It only works for the rear PTO.
    My 790 has a procedure and it's simple and easy but I can never remember it from time to time. I need to laminate a card with instructions and put it under the seat or something. . .

    Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

  7. Top | #5
    HydroHarold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Location
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    3,554
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 332 Times in 253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    My 790 has a procedure and it's simple and easy but I can never remember it from time to time. I need to laminate a card with instructions and put it under the seat or something. . .

    Treefarmer
    Yes, great minds think alike, I made abbreviated sequence sheets for my new loader and backhoe and kept them in the toolbox. No matter what, it's always easier and less cussable when proper order is followed. Now, if I could always remember to take off that silly "adapter" for the front quick hitch when going from plow to FEL... "Why won't this *****&** loader install right?"
    Tomfive, Oscar Leroy and PJR832 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

    '04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

    "...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

    NRA Life Member

  8. Top | #6
    xcopterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Location
    nc
    Posts
    1,672
    Thanks
    212
    Thanked 891 Times in 334 Posts
    Yup.. Its all there in the OP manual.. Miss one step and she wont work. Truth is.. Even as a tech we have to look it up a lot. Different stuf everyday. Surprized we haven't worn out the theory of operation section! Lol

    Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    HydroHarold, keane and PJR832 like this.

  9. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    374
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 148 Times in 77 Posts
    Just for reference, here is the process as stated in the manual:

    Using Rear Power-Take-Off (PTO)—Operator off Seat

    1. Sit on operator seat
    2. Lock the park brake.
    3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
    4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
    Start the engine.
    5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
    6. Move the PTO control lever (A) to Position (D) - Rear PTO only.
    7. Exit seat for rear PTO operation without operator on seat..
    8. Pull PTO/RIO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.
    9. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

    GentlemanFarmer (06-26-2017), Luiz (06-28-2017), PJR832 (06-28-2017), xcopterdoc (06-26-2017)

  11. Top | #8
    HydroHarold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Location
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Posts
    3,554
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked 332 Times in 253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traction View Post
    Just for reference, here is the process as stated in the manual:

    Using Rear Power-Take-Off (PTO)—Operator off Seat

    1. Sit on operator seat
    2. Lock the park brake.
    3. Move the 2-speed range lever to the N position.
    4. NOTE: The starter will not crank if the PTO/RIO switch knob is in any engaged/on position.
    Start the engine.
    5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less.
    6. Move the PTO control lever (A) to Position (D) - Rear PTO only.
    7. Exit seat for rear PTO operation without operator on seat..
    8. Pull PTO/RIO switch knob up to the engaged/on position.
    9. Adjust the hand throttle lever forward to the desired speed for the implement used.
    There you go folks, a genuine PTO Cheat Sheet, copy, paste to Notepad and print it. Or just use your own "copy" pencil if still in the yellow pad era. (Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

    '04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

    "...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

    NRA Life Member

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    237
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts

    Question 1500 rpm?

    5. Set engine speed to 1500 rpm or less?

    1025R idle speed is supposed to be 1575 rpm.
    HydroHarold and W9GFO like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •