Brakes needed repair as only one was grabbing and the other was pretty much out of adjustment range. I had purchased shoes thinking that was all that was needed.
Upon disassembly, there was a lot of pitting but the shoes in the machine looked almost new. I was able to source new drums. The old ones were only about 0.020 worn from new, but they were badly pitted. The lever arms looked like crap, but they're apparently made from unobtanium and I was only able to find NOS for the right side...and it was expensive. Only left sides I could find were salvage and looked as bad as the one it would replace. If I'd been able to find both I probably would have bit the bullet.
The business end of the lever arms is, as best as I can describe it, a cam. The edges wear and it doesn't take much to render them useless due to the miracle of Archimedes. What I decided to do was build up the edges with some weld and hand grind it flat. I didn't add that much material, but it seems to have made a huge difference in the grab point of the brakes.
Really wish I had room for a lathe and milling machine in my tiny shop. I could have kicked ass and made new parts with those!