Plumbing a FEL with existing SCV JD 650, relief valve options?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Plumbing a FEL with existing SCV JD 650, relief valve options?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    11-04-2017 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Plumbing a FEL with existing SCV JD 650, relief valve options?

    Hey folks. I was wondering what is the best way to set up my 650's FEL hydraulics with the FEL I am building. I have the factory SCV and factory power steering but I have some concerns that due to the lack of an adjustable (or something around 1000 psi) pressure relief valve, I might cause damage to it if I overload it accidentally. As it sits, the system has a 2030 psi system (open center) and relief valves up near that range (factory main system and surge relief valves). I looked at the factory model 67 loaders offered on these tractors and it appears they use some sort of inline pressure release valve before hooking into the factory SCV that I have. How does this even work without a drain line to send excess fluid? Is this a viable option to get away from buying a whole new SCV for the FEL? Is there an aftermarket variation of this type of valve? Sorry for all the questions, thanks! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	model 67 loader relief valve.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	398153

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,427
    Thanks
    5,056
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    I am unable to dive deep into this right now, but I would suggest that even though the drawing shows "relief valve", its more of a pilot valve to prevent dropping, maybe acting as sort of a load check of sorts.
    I would not hesitate to add the FEL without them as long as you size your cylinders appropriately and not oversize them.
    Ray_PA likes this.
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  4. Top | #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 AM
    Location
    Coyote Flats,Texas
    Posts
    1,733
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 296 Times in 266 Posts
    Although operating a FEL control valve from scv isn't ideal the only time relief valve should be involved is when a cyl is attempted to extend past it's limit or one attempts to move load exceeding loaders hyd capacity. I think a similar type relief valve could be obtained from a hyd supply business such as Surplus Center or most open center spool valve I've seen have an adjustable relief valve built into spool body.. If you'll read the parts description for the relief valve in your post you'll determine that the 1000 psi valve(PT5222) is subbed to a 650 psi valve(PT7547)

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    AlKozak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Caroga Lake, NY
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
    I have a 650 with a 67 loader that had been replumbed by the previous owner. Until I saw this post, I did not realize that valve was supposed to be there. Mine works fine using the main relief valve. Lifting the back of the tractor off the ground when you're at the limit keeps you awake.

    Al
    Kennyd and BigJim55 like this.

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    11-04-2017 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I am unable to dive deep into this right now, but I would suggest that even though the drawing shows "relief valve", its more of a pilot valve to prevent dropping, maybe acting as sort of a load check of sorts.
    I would not hesitate to add the FEL without them as long as you size your cylinders appropriately and not oversize them.
    Thanks for the input. I may have to look into the math regarding the cylinder sizes to be exact.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Although operating a FEL control valve from scv isn't ideal the only time relief valve should be involved is when a cyl is attempted to extend past it's limit or one attempts to move load exceeding loaders hyd capacity. I think a similar type relief valve could be obtained from a hyd supply business such as Surplus Center or most open center spool valve I've seen have an adjustable relief valve built into spool body.. If you'll read the parts description for the relief valve in your post you'll determine that the 1000 psi valve(PT5222) is subbed to a 650 psi valve(PT7547)
    I have been looking online and am not quite sure what I am looking for exactly, most of the in-line relief valves I am finding have a third port for a tank return line. Am I correct in my understanding that all 4 lines heading to the FEL would be high pressure lines? (being they will power dual acting cylinders) I guess I don't understand how those factory relief valves (if they even are) do the job of relieving pressure and what, if any aftermarket options that there are to choose from to plumb in after the SCV on the FEL itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    I have a 650 with a 67 loader that had been replumbed by the previous owner. Until I saw this post, I did not realize that valve was supposed to be there. Mine works fine using the main relief valve. Lifting the back of the tractor off the ground when you're at the limit keeps you awake.

    Al
    Lol, are you not running any ballast?

  8. Top | #6
    Captain Hook Kennyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    16,427
    Thanks
    5,056
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziemo27 View Post
    I have been looking online and am not quite sure what I am looking for exactly, most of the in-line relief valves I am finding have a third port for a tank return line. Am I correct in my understanding that all 4 lines heading to the FEL would be high pressure lines? (being they will power dual acting cylinders) I guess I don't understand how those factory relief valves (if they even are) do the job of relieving pressure and what, if any aftermarket options that there are to choose from to plumb in after the SCV on the FEL itself.
    THIS is why I don't think they are "relief" valves, there is no return port. I suspect they are DPOCV's (double pilot operated check valves) or crossover relief/cushion valves.

    Have you determined if they are plumbed on the lift/lower circuit or the dump/curl circuit?
    Kenny

    -John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM


    Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

    Visit our YouTube Channel

    My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

  9. Top | #7
    AlKozak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Caroga Lake, NY
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziemo27 View Post
    Lol, are you not running any ballast?
    Yes, but I'm all about testing limits .

    I have a set of clamp on forks. Lifted a 500# bundle of decking that was dumped on the driveway and only thought I was "all the way in". I was probably 2 feet short. Both the bundle and the rear wheels lifted at the same time!

    Al

  10. Top | #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    11-04-2017 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    THIS is why I don't think they are "relief" valves, there is no return port. I suspect they are DPOCV's (double pilot operated check valves) or crossover relief/cushion valves.

    Have you determined if they are plumbed on the lift/lower circuit or the dump/curl circuit?
    I couldn't find anymore info on the parts diagram to determine which it is for.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    Yes, but I'm all about testing limits .

    I have a set of clamp on forks. Lifted a 500# bundle of decking that was dumped on the driveway and only thought I was "all the way in". I was probably 2 feet short. Both the bundle and the rear wheels lifted at the same time!

    Al

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    11-04-2017 @ 03:45 PM
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19650187_10154700346537322_2112324777_o.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	402610

    Well, as an update, I got my 54" bucket built. It's looking like the way to go with the hydraulics is just be careful and don't run too much weight on the back. Not sure if I really need more than a 1.5" bore x 1" rod cylinder for both the bucket and curl. At 2000 psi that gives me 3534 lbs of push and 1963 lbs of pull. Bumping it up to 2" bore x 1 1/8" rod gives me 6283 lbs of push and 4295 lbs of pull. Anyone have any input on this?

  12. Top | #10
    AlKozak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Location
    Caroga Lake, NY
    Posts
    715
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziemo27 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19650187_10154700346537322_2112324777_o.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	402610

    Well, as an update, I got my 54" bucket built. It's looking like the way to go with the hydraulics is just be careful and don't run too much weight on the back. Not sure if I really need more than a 1.5" bore x 1" rod cylinder for both the bucket and curl. At 2000 psi that gives me 3534 lbs of push and 1963 lbs of pull. Bumping it up to 2" bore x 1 1/8" rod gives me 6283 lbs of push and 4295 lbs of pull. Anyone have any input on this?
    IIRC, the stock hydraulics are 1.5" bore. The prior owner of my machine had replaced the curl cylinders with 2" unit from Dalton. My main complaint about them is that the resulting dump and recover is very slow, or at least slow for my taste. There seems to be no issue with the "oversize" cylinders ripping the bucket apart.

    Al

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •