Question on steering and unrelated question on startup noise.
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Panhead
  • 2 Post By Herminator
  • 1 Post By AlKozak
  • 1 Post By Panhead

Thread: Question on steering and unrelated question on startup noise.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks

Question on steering and unrelated question on startup noise.

Have had my 2016 1025R TLB since last November and it has been an awesome work horse. Did the Trans fluid and filter at 50 hours and lubed. I now have 80 ish hours and the last 2 times I mowed (I use it most for mowing about 4 of our 10 acres) when starting I heard a loud screeching noise coming from under the right side of the seat area. This lasted about 10 seconds and stopped. Fluid levels are fine and when noise stopped I went on to mow about 2 acres and it worked as always with no other issues. Anybody know what this could be? Haven't started the tractor since but will be using it tomorrow.

Another question is about the steering. When mowing I have the tractor in 2WD for the sharp turns I do a lot of. I have noticed of late that after an hour or so the steering becomes a little stiffer than when starting out. I have checked the fluid and it is at the proper level and clear. I attribute this to a couple of things. 1) Heat build up from lots of turning around trees and such. 2) we have had some pretty hot weather here for the last few weeks. Thoughts?

Lastly, I broke one of the ROPS lights getting to close to a tree. Both the lugs that the bolts fasten to broke off the plastic housing. I'm here to tell ya'll that Gorilla Glue is pretty amazing. I glued and clamped the lugs back in place and let it sit over night and put is all back together, solid as a rock.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    On my 2038r I had that happen a couple times and it stopped when I lowered the three point a little. The shaft the sets the rockshaft up stop point for the three points nuts were not tight and it was trying to go up further than it should so it bypassed. Not sure if your machine is set up the same way but I suspect it is similar. Mine did it a couple short bursts like that but then started doing it a little more as it moved more so I could figure out what it was.
    coaltrain and PJR832 like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
    Have had my 2016 1025R TLB since last November and it has been an awesome work horse. Did the Trans fluid and filter at 50 hours and lubed. I now have 80 ish hours and the last 2 times I mowed (I use it most for mowing about 4 of our 10 acres) when starting I heard a loud screeching noise coming from under the right side of the seat area. This lasted about 10 seconds and stopped. Fluid levels are fine and when noise stopped I went on to mow about 2 acres and it worked as always with no other issues. Anybody know what this could be? Haven't started the tractor since but will be using it tomorrow.
    Not familiar with that machine, but the description and location makes it sound like a rockshaft issue. Like the rockshaft feedback when the control lever is all the way up is insufficient to shut off the fluid flow and the noise is coming from the pressure relief valve. You would be able to tell if that's the issue by pushing the control lever forward a bit. If the noise stops, that's your problem.

Al
    Last edited by AlKozak; 06-27-2017 at 01:43 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    The momentary sound you are hearing is probably simply the rockshaft/3 point lifting back up. When the tractor sits, the 3 point will drift down somewhat. When you start the tractor, because the lever for the 3 point is still fully in the lift position and the 1025R has a 3 point feed back valve system, the rockshaft will lift back up until it is fully lifted. If the noise stops when the 3 point is fully lifted, there is nothing wrong.

If the noise does not stop when the 3 point is fully lifted, then the rockshaft feed back adjustment needs adjusted. If the adjustment is off, as a temporary fix until you get it adjusted, you can simply lower the 3 point slightly. This will remedy the problem temporarily. Essentially what happens is, if the feed back is out of adjustment, the 3 point tries to continue to raise when it is already fully raised. This cause the hydraulic system to go on relief.

Concerning the steering, I don't have any really good answers as to why the steering effort seems to be changing. It could be that after that many hours of mowing, you are getting tired so it seems like the tractor is steering harder. Just a thought!!

And yes the ROPS lights. They do hang out there!!! Most of us have either broken them are came very close. I am in the very close group. I have learned to pay very close attention to them when mowing.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    The momentary sound you are hearing is probably simply the rockshaft/3 point lifting back up. When the tractor sits, the 3 point will drift down somewhat. When you start the tractor, because the lever for the 3 point is still fully in the lift position and the 1025R has a 3 point feed back valve system, the rockshaft will lift back up until it is fully lifted. If the noise stops when the 3 point is fully lifted, there is nothing wrong.

If the noise does not stop when the 3 point is fully lifted, then the rockshaft feed back adjustment needs adjusted. If the adjustment is off, as a temporary fix until you get it adjusted, you can simply lower the 3 point slightly. This will remedy the problem temporarily. Essentially what happens is, if the feed back is out of adjustment, the 3 point tries to continue to raise when it is already fully raised. This cause the hydraulic system to go on relief.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yesterday when I started it up there was no noise at all and everything was fine. I was using the box blade to smooth the ground around my little range area and there were no issues. I tend to get a little nervous when I hear strange unfriendly sounds coming from any of my vehicles or equipment.
    HydroHarold likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Panhead For This Useful Post:

rmorg10 (06-28-2017)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-27-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have a answer, but my steering is doing the same thing, it's always been a little stiff, but lately it will get very easy for a short time (nice when it happens), then other times it gets very hard!
    This is all intermittent, have not contacted dealer yet, might be hard to diagnose, been using it too much to turn loose, if it gets worse I will be talking to the dealer.
    Let me know if your problem persists or you find a remedy, I will do the same thing.
    2016 1025r with 210 hrs.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements