• 1 Post By John 54

Thread: Broken seat linkage

1. Top | #1
    Jep

Last Online
    Today @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks

Broken seat linkage

I noticed this week the seat on my 1025r had some new side to side play. Yesterday I took a good look at it. Yes you guessed it broken linkage. I thought ,well I will just order a new end. Went into the parts system, seat details. Found out had to buy a new assembly LVA21553, 2 ends and the rod. $103.04. No way. Then it hit me these ends look like tie rod ends. Went to Summitracing.com. Sure enough what size do you want. I chose 1/4" x 28 QA1-CFR4S Rod End $4.97 each. Also bought 4 jam nuts QA1-JNR4S for $.97 each. Add $6.95 ground shipping for a total of $20.77. I ordered at 2 on Thursday and thought I would get it next week. FedEx dropped it off at 1 pm Friday. Opened the box and planned on making a new rod with 1/4 x 28 ends. I screwed the new ends on the factory shaft. I don't know what metric size it is, but 1/4 x 28 fit perfectly. I used 2 jam nuts on the rod to lock the ends when adjusted to the correct length. I will install on the seat this weekend.. I guess some times the Green Tractor Gods do smile on us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1611.JPG   IMG_1610.JPG  
    1025R TLB 54D MM, Imatch Quick hitch, BB, Ken's bolt on hooks, Piranha Tooth Bar, 36" Artillian forks, Cyclone rake XL, 54" Snowblower, 54"used blade, Edge Tamer and Extender, Heavy Hitch Subsoiler. Trailers: Sure-Trac 5x8 dump and a 7x16 steel side., 647 tiller, 5048 Box blade, heavy hitch tooth bar, 260B hoe, mulch kit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jep For This Useful Post:

Firemark (07-01-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 02:19 PM
    Thanks
    Hi Jep
    I did the same thing after the link had broken for the third time (first and second times replaced under warrantee) I have had on problems since that was 18 months ago.
    Check the length as I had to cut about 1/4" off the shaft to get it to fit
    Regards John

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    They call them new ends heim joints. The original style is a ball joint.

That stock assembly looks just like the shifter rod on most Harley's. They also have the same problem with the ends pulling out like yours did. However some of the rods are one piece without removable ends. Either way you have to buy the whole rod. Accessorie linkage is available with the heim joints but I think that the size is 5/16".
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi H-D dealer dude
    The picture below shows the replacement rod ends on the OE shaft, you only have to buy 1/4 UNF rod ends and they screw right onto the OE shaft which has to be shortened slightly, they also screw into the seat rotator without any mods. I installed it 18 months ago and still going strong and this is after breaking 3 OE balls off in 6 months ( as seen in Jep's picture)
    The new rod ends are much stronger than the OE ones because they don't neck down because the ball is much larger
    Regards John
    PS You don't need lock nuts on the threads of the rod as they are both right handed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0066.JPG  
    Last edited by John 54; 07-01-2017 at 03:48 AM.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Where did you get them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi John Deere 1025R TLB
    I purchased mine from a bearing supply shop, I took the old ones in and explained what I wanted and this is what they came up with .
    Regards John
    keane likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    The OEM TLB seat linkage rod is definitely 1/4" - 28 thread. They are not metric. I replace my rod ends a few years ago.

Here is a link to the thread that i posted them. I originally thought the rod was 6 mm, after actually measuring it, i found it was 1/4" - 28.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...nkage-rod.html
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Great thread gentlemen

I've broken my seat twice but truth be told I've lived with it broken for almost a year each time so had I got warranty to cover it not often it just would have broken more often.

Could I please ask one of you kind gentlemen to post a pic of this mod installed on a seat. Also could come one please post good part numbers from amazon or eBay.

Thanks guys

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Ordered the above parts off summit and they worked great. I tried to source some Heim jounts locally and they were solid brass and broke the first time I tried to swivel the seat. The units from summit had a much beafier design. It took me a while to get the rod adjusted perfectly, my stock one was so mangled I couldn't use it as a template.

Thanks again for the great info.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements