Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Eratic Steering

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-27-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks

Eratic Steering

Having intermittent steering issues with P/S on my 2016 1025r, normal on this tractor is a little stiff, recently it will go from normal to very easy, back to normal, then to very stiff, and back to normal. Anyone else having anything similar going on? Will be contacting dealer about this, just wanted to see if this might be common problem, I had a 2014 1025r and it seems like the steering was easy, can't remember for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Thanks
    My power steering has been very consistent since the day I got it, even with a full load on the front end. I guess I would describe it as effortless.

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Have you checked your hydraulic fluid level? Is it making any strange sounds?
    Levi likes this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-27-2019 @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    I posted just the other day about this. My 2016 1025R goes from normal to slightly stiffer than normal then back again after mowing for an hour or two. I think it may be from the fluid getting warm from lots of steering. I checked the fluid and it was full and clear. We have lots of trees on our property to mow around so there is lots of sharp steering going on and we have has some rather warm weather as of late. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a definitive answer.
    BigJim55 likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
    I posted just the other day about this. My 2016 1025R goes from normal to slightly stiffer than normal then back again after mowing for an hour or two. I think it may be from the fluid getting warm from lots of steering. I checked the fluid and it was full and clear. We have lots of trees on our property to mow around so there is lots of sharp steering going on and we have has some rather warm weather as of late. I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has a definitive answer.
    I can't really say what the problem may be, but heated hydraulic oil should not cause any problems as long as it isn't overheated which steering the tractor will not do.
    Levi likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Thanks
    The bearings in the spindle housings could be bad. The SCU is also a possibility.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    I posted with a similar problem a while back. It only happens for me during or after mowing. I wouldn't say that it is ever hard to turn, just noticeably more difficult.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by userjh160; 07-03-2017 at 07:19 PM.
    2017 3038E; RC2048, 4' Box Blade, Forks, 5' Rear Blade, 2017 Z920M

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    I have seen several instances of hard steering. I will give the 4 root causes of the ones i have dealt with and the repairs.
    #1. Steering sluggish at idle. Worked ok if steering wheel was turned slow and improved as the engine speed was increased. If you jerked the wheel to turn it would instantly get hard. Checked other hyd systems.. Loader, hitch ect. All slow at idle, better at increased rpm. Found clogged suction screen. The scope of this is.. If ALL systems are slow.. Look for a flow issue.
    #2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.
    #3. Steers hard hot or cold. No change when rpms are increased. Might be jerky when forcing the steering wheel. Tested all hyd systems. All ok. Jacked up front end to get weight off tires. Better. Steered easier. Pressure test and flow test to steer cylinder good. Cause: bad steering cylinder. Replaced cylinder.
    #4 Steers hard.. Comes and goes. Fine one hour.. Hard the next. Tested systems all ok. Drove me nuts. Thought I had a bad steer cylinder but.. Finally found bad priority valve in the pto manifold. Same valve body where the pto solenoid is located. Replaced the valve body.. All good.
    I've seen many steering issues but most fall into these 4 scenarios. YMMV.
    So.. Sorry for the long post. That's my take on hard steering! If yur under warranty get it to yur dealer.. If not, Deere has plenty of parts.. Load the parts gun and shoot away til she's fixed! Just kidding. You know how us "Stealership" guys are. Right AJ!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xcopterdoc; 07-03-2017 at 08:42 PM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Herminator (09-13-2018), Jeff B (07-03-2017), johnH123 (09-13-2018), joshn3448 (07-04-2017), Levi (07-04-2017), OldmanX (07-05-2017)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    I have seen several instances of hard steering. I will give the 4 root causes of the ones i have dealt with and the repairs.
    #1. Steering sluggish at idle. Worked ok if steering wheel was turned slow and improved as the engine speed was increased. If you jerked the wheel to turn it would instantly get hard. Checked other hyd systems.. Loader, hitch ect. All slow at idle, better at increased rpm. Found clogged suction screen. The scope of this is.. If ALL systems are slow.. Look for a flow issue.
    #2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.
    #3. Steers hard hot or cold. No change when rpms are increased. Might be jerky when forcing the steering wheel. Tested all hyd systems. All ok. Jacked up front end to get weight off tires. Better. Steered easier. Pressure test and flow test to steer cylinder good. Cause: bad steering cylinder. Replaced cylinder.
    #4 Steers hard.. Comes and goes. Fine one hour.. Hard the next. Tested systems all ok. Drove me nuts. Thought I had a bad steer cylinder but.. Finally found bad priority valve in the pto manifold. Same valve body where the pto solenoid is located. Replaced the valve body.. All good.
    I've seen many steering issues but most fall into these 4 scenarios. YMMV.
    So.. Sorry for the long post. That's my take on hard steering! If yur under warranty get it to yur dealer.. If not, Deere has plenty of parts.. Load the parts gun and shoot away til she's fixed! Just kidding. You know how us "Stealership" guys are. Right AJ!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Great info to share!

You just forgot one thing...

First... you gotta charge him $200 for a hydro change, tell him you couldn't recreate the issue and send it back!

Only kidding... sorry I couldn't help myself.
    Levi, joshn3448 and Herminator like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-27-2018 @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks
    Have changed Hydraulic oil and filter twice, most recent was last Fri, still had problems while mowing this w/e.. Talked to dealer, will be getting it to them shortly. There is no unusual noises from Hyd, system, just the steering effort changes, and again, this is not a every time problem, very intermittent, which is one reason I have been reluctant to take to dealer, especially since they said they have not run into this on a 1025r. That figures!
    And just FYI, the screen was clean at this service, lot of metal first time, which is fairly normal at 50 hrs.
    chex313 and Levi like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast