1025R R4 tire hitting steering rack.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1025R R4 tire hitting steering rack.

1. Top | #1
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Thanks

1025R R4 tire hitting steering rack.

I had a leak in my hydraulic line when plowing. The lines were fitting were loose on the plow. So I tighten them up. I though that was the end of my leak.. Then I change the plow for the loader to mover the snow out of the way and again. I saw yellow lines in the snow. Now I look at the fitting on the loader they were tight. Taking a closer look at the marks in the snow I can see about were the leak was.
    I look under the tractor and saw the line on the steering rack was loose. I tighten it up and move more snow after adding 2 quarts of oil. Put the tractor on the garage and can out the next day. Oil on the floor. Not much but enough to think I didn't clean off the old oil drip. No it wasn't that it was the line again was loose. Again I tighten the line up. Now I saw a polish mark on the fitting. So I started the tractor and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Sure enough. The R4 tire was hitting the fitting and when backing up the tire would loosen the fitting. It also wore rubber of of the braded line. I went to my JD dealer. Told them what happen. At first they said I can't see that happening. Well we started three 1025R's up with R4 tires and they all hit.
    The service manager called JD and ask about the problem. The know about it but don't have a fix for it yet. What they said they will do for a temporary fix is to glue on a wheel weight for a allow rim to the steering stop. This will stop the wheel from hitting until they get a fix for it. The dealer had ordered me a new line and fitting to replace the broken one.
    So check your 1025R with R4 tire and see if it hits the steering line fitting on the left side.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JKR For This Useful Post:

Vern1026R (02-26-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    I had a leak in my hydraulic line when plowing. The lines were fitting were loose on the plow. So I tighten them up. I though that was the end of my leak.. Then I change the plow for the loader to mover the snow out of the way and again. I saw yellow lines in the snow. Now I look at the fitting on the loader they were tight. Taking a closer look at the marks in the snow I can see about were the leak was.
    I look under the tractor and saw the line on the steering rack was loose. I tighten it up and move more snow after adding 2 quarts of oil. Put the tractor on the garage and can out the next day. Oil on the floor. Not much but enough to think I didn't clean off the old oil drip. No it wasn't that it was the line again was loose. Again I tighten the line up. Now I saw a polish mark on the fitting. So I started the tractor and turn the wheel all the way to the left. Sure enough. The R4 tire was hitting the fitting and when backing up the tire would loosen the fitting. It also wore rubber of of the braded line. I went to my JD dealer. Told them what happen. At first they said I can't see that happening. Well we started three 1025R's up with R4 tires and they all hit.
    The service manager called JD and ask about the problem. The know about it but don't have a fix for it yet. What they said they will do for a temporary fix is to glue on a wheel weight for a allow rim to the steering stop. This will stop the wheel from hitting until they get a fix for it. The dealer had ordered me a new line and fitting to replace the broken one.
    So check your 1025R with R4 tire and see if it hits the steering line fitting on the left side.
    This on a mY13 or my14? Mine hits with the chains on, but not w/o.... My tractor is a MY13.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Do any hit with turf tires? Or is this unique to R4 tires?

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    JKR
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:44 AM
    Thanks
    MY13 tractor and only the R4 tires.
    I also have chains. I saw that they hit the steering line. So I never put them on. But I never turn the wheel farther to see if the tire it.
    I will put 1" spacer on the wheels, but the dealer said with my mower deck I may not be able to drive on and over the deck to install it.
    All I can do is to try it out.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    I checked mine today. It misses by about 1/16 of an inch.... but that was sitting in the garage on a level service.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1192.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	25692
    Everyone should watch this. Potential issue for sure.
    -Tom

2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM w/independent lift

Ohio Steel 920 lb. Steel Lawn Roller, 24 in. x 52 in.

Troy-Bilt 27-Ton Gas Log Splitter

Troy-Bilt 250cc Chromium Gas Wood Chipper

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    What air pressure are you running in the front tires? Don't know that it would make a big difference, but more pressure= taller, skinnier tire. Looks like every little bit would help in this situation.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    20PSI all the way around. JD recommends 22PSI for the front...
    -Tom

2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM w/independent lift

Ohio Steel 920 lb. Steel Lawn Roller, 24 in. x 52 in.

Troy-Bilt 27-Ton Gas Log Splitter

Troy-Bilt 250cc Chromium Gas Wood Chipper

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsdunay View Post
    20PSI all the way around. JD recommends 22PSI for the front...
    Sounds like you're in the 4-6" and we are in the 6-12". Either way more seat time
    When using the fel I run 22psi , at times even with 22 tires still seem low. I started making a set of chains for the front and then started reading here from others about small clearance. Instead I put appx 100-125# of weight on the 3pt using my seldom used lifting weights. Has helped quite a bit steering using the snow blower and front blade. Yes still slides but has helped.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by genesusie View Post
    Do any hit with turf tires? Or is this unique to R4 tires?
    After I plowed 5" of white stuff this morning I checked the tire/fitting clearance on mine which has the turf tires and have approx. 3/8" at full stop.
    Sorry no pic.
    Vern

[COLOR="#008000"]2012 1026R w/loaded R3's, H120 FEL, Artillian forks, Ken's hooks, auto 54D mower deck, 54 front quick hitch blade
    Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, Omni Transformer hitch and subsoiler, 8-42lb. hang on weights, psrumors seat spring upgrade, Land Pride 54" box blade, Frontier LR2060 landscape rake, J.D. IMatch, Bxpanded tooth bar, backhoe thumb and quick change b/h bucket adapter, recently added 260 backhoe and gently used JD 647 tiller.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    06-18-2016 @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    quick check of mine, just got it. Left tire (R4) is dangerously close to hitting that fitting. Would not have even looked at that if you guys hadn't noticed it. I will be looking at it closer as weather permits. It was in 4wd when I looked. Don't know yet if it will make contact when front axle not engaged.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast