Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Might need help, rockshaft arms

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Thanks

Might need help, rockshaft arms

I noticed that the rockshaft arms wiggle a hair. They are both on the splines and the snap rings are in place on both sides. I removed 3pt hitch and can wiggle each side a bit. I don't mean up and down. They wiggle a bit perpendicular to the spline shaft. If I face the back of the rig, the right arm has a washer between it and the housing. I can turn that washer by hand.

Has anyone had this ? Would appreciate if any one knows or if any one with a one series can see if there's are solid tight. Don't want it to get it addressed of its not normal.

Thanks and happy 4th!Don
    pcabe5, Levi and Robnik like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    I noticed that the rockshaft arms wiggle a hair. They are both on the splines and the snap rings are in place on both sides. I removed 3pt hitch and can wiggle each side a bit. I don't mean up and down. They wiggle a bit perpendicular to the spline shaft. If I face the back of the rig, the right arm has a washer between it and the housing. I can turn that washer by hand.

Has anyone had this ? Would appreciate if any one knows or if any one with a one series can see if there's are solid tight. Don't want it to get it addressed of its not normal.

Thanks and happy 4th!Don

A little play(side-to-side) parallel with the shaft may be normal. If the movement is perpendicular to the shaft(back & forth), there may be wear in the rock-shaft housing bushings(#13), and/or the shaft(#30).
    pcabe5, eyeboltman, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"? - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Took another look. Splined shaft doesn't seem to move but I will look at that again, hard to tell because the arms have slop. The arms on each end of the splines shaft can move perpendicular to the shaft. With the three point detached, I wiggle the arms side ways. Both snap rings are on. I thought I remembered everything was tight when I got the tractor but not 100% sure.
    Levi and Robnik like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    Artillian Blinders
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:19 AM
    Thanks

Paint or grease

Took another look. Splined shaft doesn't seem to move but I will look at that again, hard to tell because the arms have slop. The arms on each end of the splines shaft can move perpendicular to the shaft. With the three point detached, I wiggle the arms side ways. Both snap rings are on. I thought I remembered everything was tight when I got the tractor but not 100% sure.
    Might have been paint or grease making it tight. If it's increasing slop might be time for a look but if it stays the same, I wouldn't worry about it. I guess you could add shims if the side to side bothers you. If the splines are wearing, not much to be done with them short of a replacement.

Treefarmer
    pcabe5, flyweight and Robnik like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Might have been paint or grease making it tight. If it's increasing slop might be time for a look but if it stays the same, I wouldn't worry about it. I guess you could add shims if the side to side bothers you. If the splines are wearing, not much to be done with them short of a replacement.

Treefarmer
    Never thought of the paint/grease, wearing in. I'm going to try and stop by the dealer today to pick up some maintanence stuff. I always pick up low Vis hyguard, oil, oil filters, air filters, both fuel filters, trans filters etc way ahead of hours interval. I like having the stuff stocked and in before the maintanence time so I can do it with out making a trip and have the whole day to bang out a complete service when it needs to be done. I also had a problem with a new Stihl chainsaw that I need and have to pick up.when I'm there, I'm going to go to a 1025 on the show room floor and grab those rockshaft lift arms and see what the slack is. My concern is that the clips have bent a hair on each side all the way around resulted in play and the arm shaft spline to spline fit has worn a bit.

Hopefully I will get a response from a one series owner that can grab those arms and see what the slop is lateral and perpendicular to the shaft. My rockshaft does work, fluid cold is exactly at the top line on the dip stick hash marks. Don't want the dealer to just put in new clips to solve the problem if I have rockshaft spline wear.
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Artillian Blinders
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    I don't have anything on my 3 pt right now so I'll grab the arms when I get home and let you know how they feel. I've carried a loaded ballast box for several hours so I'd assume it's "worn in".

As far as those splines...I'd be surprised if you could create enough wear on those splines in the lifetime of a tractor for it to ever be a problem. They're not a pressed fit so I'd expect some amount of tolerance.
    eyeboltman likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts

Thanks and happy 4th!Don
    I just checked mine. The washer on the right side can be turned by hand. The rockshaft arms have NO wiggle at all. Tight as can be. I checked with them up and half way down. All tight.

I have over 800 hours on my 1026.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I just checked mine. The washer on the right side can be turned by hand. The rockshaft arms have NO wiggle at all. Tight as can be. I checked with them up and half way down. All tight.

I have over 800 hours on my 1026.
    Thanks Levi. I stopped by the dealer today to pick up service "sundries" for two rounds. All set with filters and fluid for two rounds. Went into thier yard and checked the rockshaft arm slop on a number 1 series rigs. They all had a bit of play. made me feel better. If it gets worse I will go the warrenty route.

Tmx agn!!!
    Artillian Blinders
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Went into thier yard and checked the rockshaft arm slop on a number 1 series rigs. They all had a bit of play.

Tmx agn!!!

I have more than "a little play" in mine right now.
    I've had that snap ring pop off the left side twice now.
    First time was a week ago. I found it in the dirt and didn't know what it was for until I noticed the rockshaft arms were spread leaving a gap on the shaft. I squeezed everything back together and reinstalled the snap ring. After installing I noticed the ring was quite loose in the groove and would rotate easily.
    It popped off again a couple of days later and I have no idea where it is. I called the dealer and he said he is sure that is under warranty so I will bring it in.

Levi and PJR832 like this.
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation
    My New 1025r FILB now with 54" MMM
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks and seat springs
    Piranha tooth bar
    Hawkline 48" rotary tiller by Behlen Country
    72" back blade by Behlen Country
    42" forks and quicktach frame by Titan
    60" box blade by Massey
    Bomgaar's (by Fimco) 40 Gallon 3ph boom sprayer

There is a fine line between Tractor Nirvana and the Implement Poorhouse

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
    I have more than "a little play" in mine right now.
    I've had that snap ring pop off the left side twice now.
    First time was a week ago. I found it in the dirt and didn't know what it was for until I noticed the rockshaft arms were spread leaving a gap on the shaft. I squeezed everything back together and reinstalled the snap ring. After installing I noticed the ring was quite loose in the groove and would rotate easily.
    It popped off again a couple of days later and I have no idea where it is. I called the dealer and he said he is sure that is under warranty so I will bring it in.

Chris, it seems to be a common problem. Hopefully it's your snap ring and not the shaft groove. My rig is a 16 so the shaft notch has hopefully been addressed. The German me went to the yard at the dealers and checked the rockshaft arm slop in a couple of rigs. They all had some play. Mine has a touch more but hopefully I can attribute that to wearing in.

They only way I can figure there is a force that is lateral to the shaft is when one is turning with a heavy implement that's working, eg; box blade etc. the snap rings probably become flared over time regardless if the rockshaft has the proper groove in it or not.

Levi was kind enough to respond and his has no slop. I have a year left of warrenty so I'm going to see if it becomes more of an issue. Sales mgr is a friend and he was with me in the yard and said they all have some play and that it's not a problem.

Love the tractor but sick of some of the headaches due to loose nuts,bolts and fittings. My latest problem is a draft arm pin on the rig. Noticed a noise while grading. The nut had worked loose and spun toward the anti sway hitch pin so pin was loose and crooked and threads got mashed. I took it off and filed the threads under a lit magnifying glass over my vise and muscled the pin back on to stay in service. The other side was loose too after I checked it. Checked exploded diagram and no washer in the design. They didn't use locatite either. Another green farm parts order.

Have had a lot of totally avoidable problems if things came from the factory snugged up. My biggest fear is what I can't get to when going over the rig which I do a lot and still have had stuff work loose.
    Levi, TheOtherChris and PJR832 like this.
    Artillian Blinders
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements