• 4 Post By keane
  • 3 Post By martincom

Thread: 54 inch Mower Deck Alignment

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-06-2017 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks

54 inch Mower Deck Alignment

I have to level my 54 inch mower deck left to right (the chute side is about 1 inch higher). Seems pretty easy to do, but will this affect the auto pto coupler alignment? Thanks for your feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 03:19 PM
    Thanks

Side to side adj and auto connect impact

In my particular instance (1025R w/ auto connect) this adjustment fixed my auto connect problem. My auto connect was too high to make connection to the deck stub so the only way I could see to lower the entire mechanism was to lower the turn buckles for the side to side height adjustment. I did so and it worked out perfectly. My dealer did not set it up correctly and I caught it at the 50 hr. service that I did when the deck was being replaced.

In your situation I'd advise to try it but make sure you count the turns of adjustment so you can put it back to where it was if things don't work out. Good luck.

P.S. You definitely need to adjust the side to side to come closer to even with the discharge side a bit higher than the closed side. That may not make a difference in the auto connect as you are only changing one side but it also could be enough to tweak yourself out of adjustment to the auto connect system. It is easy enough to adjust it back to connecting position as you can see the two connecting parts close up when you do the drive over, just as your front tractor tires drop off the front of the deck stop your tractor, set your parking brake and turn off the tractor. Get off the tractor and look at the connecting parts for alignment. If you are off to far you can then make equal adjustments to each side to match up the connecting parts so the connection is made. It took me two times to get it correctly aligned. I'm sure you can do it, its just psychics, geometry and a bit of good old Kentucky wind-age.
    Last edited by srsvii; 07-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    2016 John Deere 1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM Auto Connect, 54" Hydraulic Articulating Front Blade w/ Blade Extensions, 42" Land Pride Tiller, Seat Spring Upgrades by KennyD, 42 Gallon Fimco Sprayer w/ Greenleaf Asymetrical Nozzles and 12' spray boom, Poulan 14" Chain Saw, Edge R Rite Lawn Edger, Echo SM-225 String Trimmer.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,610 Posts
    My only concern , are you measuring from the bottom of each blade , or the bottom of the deck. If the deck, your lawn will look like crap.. if your lawn looks great don't make the adjustments .
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:52 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by srsvii View Post
    its just psychics, geometry and a bit of good old Kentucky wind-age.
    You meant physics...but psychic ability for the MMM adj does help...
    HydroHarold likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    When the pto coupler is aligned for quick attach the body of the deck should be on the ground, so the adjusters for when the deck is hanging in the cutting position should have no effect on the coupling alignment unless you have one or both cranked up so high that the deck won't lay on the ground in the install position.
    W9GFO likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-06-2017 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all of your feedback. Everything makes sense. The mower has not been cutting great. When it cuts, it misses spots. I did sharpen the blades, but no improvement. Then I measured from the ground to the bottom of the blade to find out one blade was one inch higher than the other. I will make some adjustments and hopefully the cut will improve.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    John Deere sells a measurement tool that works well for measuring the distance from the ground to the blade edge. For me, this made the job a lot easier. I can't remember the details (in the manual), but the blades should also be slightly canted from front to rear as well as being level side to side.

With this tool, I set my MMM on the tractor and my Honda power mower to exactly the same cutting height. That way, when I touch up the areas the tractor can't get into, you can't tell that 2 different mowers were used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-07-05 19.20.15.jpg  
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

10. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (07-06-2017)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

When you level the deck, Deere says to have it level front to back and side to side. If you want a bit cleaner cut, use the trick most of the turf pros use, tip the deck 3/16 to 1/4" down in the front, this is called "tip-in". This makes the leading edge of the blade the only cutting edge so that the grass blade is only cut once as the mower passes over. This lessens fraying and bruising of the end and will keep the lawn greener and healthier. It also lessens the HP needed to run the mower, as such the tip speed will stay high in thicker sections of turf.
    Last edited by tomd999; 07-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    I've attached the instruction manuals that detail leveling the deck and those that pertain to the autocoupler driveshaft installation. I'd suggest you also add a 3/8" fine thread nut to each of the center eyelet bolts to serve as locking nuts once you have completed the leveling. This will prevent the adjustment from being disturbed if for some reason you have to remove the autoconnect driveshaft carriage. Also, mark with permanent marker which is left and which is right.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by martincom; 07-06-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Add correct manual
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

Jeff B (07-06-2017), tcass (06-17-2018)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements