260 Backhoe Installed!!! Have a Few Questions...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: 260 Backhoe Installed!!! Have a Few Questions...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks

260 Backhoe Installed!!! Have a Few Questions...

Hello folks,

The dealer just brought back my 1025R...with the new 260 backhoe!!! I have a few questions though that I'm certain the collective brain trust here can help me with.

First, the three sided guard around the rear PTO is missing. The delivery guy said that needs to be removed for the 260 installation. However, to double check I also just called the salesperson, and he didn't think that the guard needed to be removed, and assured me I'd get it back. Does the guard need to be removed? When I have the 260 off the tractor, I certainly want that PTO protected with that guard.

Secondly, the hydraulic hose from the Power Beyond to the 260 is routed directly over the left foot rest of the backhoe. My left foot literally cannot rest on the footrest without resting on the hose. The delivery guy said that is just the way it is. Is this correct?

And lastly, of course the seat needed to be retrofitted to allow it to pivot 180 degrees. However I now notice that the seat has a considerable side-to-side and front-to-rear wobble. I'd say the play is about 2 inches or so. Is this typical?

Would greatly appreciate your insights.

Since the ground is like concrete, the only "stuff" I could play with was the piles of white stuff and ice now. So, I guess I'll just have to wait for the frost line to let up to get to my projects.

Take care all,
    Mike...The Griz
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    First, the three sided guard around the rear PTO is missing. The delivery guy said that needs to be removed for the 260 installation. However, to double check I also just called the salesperson, and he didn't think that the guard needed to be removed, and assured me I'd get it back. Does the guard need to be removed? When I have the 260 off the tractor, I certainly want that PTO protected with that guard.

I think you should have used the BH to bury the delivery guy. The three sided cover should be on the tractor and will not get in the way of the BH when installed.

Secondly, the hydraulic hose from the Power Beyond to the 260 is routed directly over the left foot rest of the backhoe. My left foot literally cannot rest on the footrest without resting on the hose. The delivery guy said that is just the way it is. Is this correct?

Yep, this is an issue, someone on here took a piece of radiator hose and placed it over their hose and it seemed to work well for them.

And lastly, of course the seat needed to be retrofitted to allow it to pivot 180 degrees. However I now notice that the seat has a considerable side-to-side and front-to-rear wobble. I'd say the play is about 2 inches or so. Is this typical?

Yep, seat does wobble a lot. It has bothered some, while others, like myself, just live with it. Someone on here did a fix for that but I do not recall what they did to fix it.

With that said, Congrats your gonna love it when you start using it.
    etcallhome, psrumors and thegriz like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

thegriz (02-28-2014)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:30 PM
    Thanks
    Billie covered it Mike. Congrats in the hoe.

As for the seat, mine doesn't seem to wobble near as much as some here have complained about.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

6. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

thegriz (02-28-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-30-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Billie and PSRumors,

Thanks very much for the prompt replies...succinct and direct. Billie you still have me chuckling...I guess he should feel fortunate that the ground is frozen solid. Having said that, the delivery guy was very helpful and fully explained the backhoe.

I would like to probe a little further though...can anyone let me know on fixes to firm up the wobbly seat? If I have to live with it, so be it. But sure would be nice if I could firm it up.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    JD 1025R - 2013
    - H120 FEL, 260 Backhoe, 54D MMM with AutoConnect/Hydraulic Lift, Standard JD Ballast Box...450lbs sand+box=579lbs, psrumors's custom seat springs
    - DBS fixed!

Wheel Horse 520xi - 2001
    - 44" Deck, 48" Dozer/Plow Blade, Wheel Weights, VacBagger System

Wheel Horse 14HP "No Name" - 1973
    - Finished "frame off" restoration 2013 (3 yr project)
    - 42" Deck, 48" Plow Blade (sold), 36" RotoTiller (sold)

I'm so confused, "GREEN" versus "RED"

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thegriz View Post
    Billie and PSRumors,

Thanks very much for the prompt replies...succinct and direct. Billie you still have me chuckling...I guess he should feel fortunate that the ground is frozen solid. Having said that, the delivery guy was very helpful and fully explained the backhoe.

I would like to probe a little further though...can anyone let me know on fixes to firm up the wobbly seat? If I have to live with it, so be it. But sure would be nice if I could firm it up.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    I've never noticed any wobble...is it side to side? If so I'll try to see what's preventing mine from doing that.
    Or is more a lift up and tilt down type wobble.
    If its possible post a video of it.

And clearly you have great taste inGarden Tractors!
    Last edited by chex313; 02-28-2014 at 02:59 PM.
    thegriz likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-24-2018 @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    Hello folks,

Guard stays on. Make sure to get it back.
    It is a small tractor and hard to put everything in an easy workable space but still a bad design by Deere on this one. I just put my foot on it... It is only a hydraulic hose and you can do little damage to it.
    Mine is about an inch each way... I just got use to it.

Congrats on the backhoe. You will be able to toss out the shovel now.
    thegriz likes this.
    -Tom

2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM w/independent lift

Ohio Steel 920 lb. Steel Lawn Roller, 24 in. x 52 in.

Troy-Bilt 27-Ton Gas Log Splitter

Troy-Bilt 250cc Chromium Gas Wood Chipper

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Congrats on the new tractor and hoe. Yes as others have said guard need to be in place, yes hose lays there but you get used to it, and as seat wobble mine moves some but you get used to it also..

Enjoy when you get nicer weather so you can play,,, I mean work..with your new toy,,, I mean BH.
    thegriz likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks
    First, Congrats on the BH, you'll have fun digging.

Regarding the PTO cover, yes and no. IIRC on my 1026R/260 BH, the 3 sided guard that comes on the regular tractor had to come off and be replaced by a new guard that has a rubber flap on one side. I believe the left side, to allow room for the swing cylinder. The new guard should be part of the BH package. I think my dealer gave me the old guard with all the parts such as the 3pt arms, etc.

And yes the wobbly BH seat strikes again. As others have stated, it varies how much it wobbles, and I've just gotten used to it. Also beware, my dealer installed my swivel mechanism backwards, I had to unbolt and swing the seat around for proper operation.

Good luck and happy digging.
    thegriz likes this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    As Tomfive stated, my 3ph cover has a rubber flap on one side. I don't know what the cover on the standard 1025 is since mine was a TLB and came from the factory set up that way. I don't really notice any wobble in my seat. I guess mine must be perfect or I just don't realize what wobble the guys are talking about.

Jeff
    thegriz likes this.
    2013 1025R FILB w/ 60D MMM
    1973 140
    1974 140

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Mine came with the guard in place.

The PB hose routing is another JD designer's "Ahhh... it's good enough!" shortcut. (It will keep your left foot warm in cooler weather however!)

The seat, ah yes, that seat. Mine rocks easily about 1" forward and 1" back times 1.5" sideways. My answer to this problem is usually fanning the air with my hat an yelling "Yaaaa Hooooo!" several times... It's another "designer shortcut" (albiet a "junior" designer shortcut). Though I hold out zero hope for repair, this small defect will be on the list when my 1026 goes in for the FBS treatment...
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast