Using my 1025 with FEL to remove a tree trunk?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Using my 1025 with FEL to remove a tree trunk?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks

Using my 1025 with FEL to remove a tree trunk?

I have about a months experience using my 1025 and have moved some large rocks using my tractor and FEL. I had some trees cut down a few years ago and have the trunk still in the ground and I would like to remove them. They are about 6" to 10" and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to remove them using my tractor?

The bucket doesn't have teeth. Is there an attachment or way to remove them?

Thanks for your help.
    Robnik likes this.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post
    I have about a months experience using my 1025 and have moved some large rocks using my tractor and FEL. I had some trees cut down a few years ago and have the trunk still in the ground and I would like to remove them. They are about 6" to 10" and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to remove them using my tractor?
    The loader is the wrong tool for digging out a 6-10" stump. You will likely bend up your bucket if you try to ram it into the stump.

Teeth or no teeth the bucket is going to have issues with a 6-10" stump. A backhoe is the correct attachment.

It might be better to rent a stump grinder or something rather than screw up the loader or bucket.
    etcallhome, Tomfive, rtgt and 6 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,613 Posts
    As jgayman replied don't think about using the fel with or without teeth. You'll end up bending either your bucket or fel frame.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Thanks

Thanks I think I knew that but wanted to confirm. ... I will get a stump grinder or B

Quote Originally Posted by etcallhome View Post
    As jgayman replied don't think about using the fel with or without teeth. You'll end up bending either your bucket or fel frame.
    I don't want to damage my fel and I think I knew it wouldn't work but having you guys confirm it helps.

2017 1025R with turf tires
    H120 FEL with 53" Bucket Quick Change
    54" Autoconnect Mower, mulch kit and hyd mower lift
    54" Quick-Hitch Two Stage Snow Blower Hyd Rotator with Remote Spout Cap kit
    Ballast box with tubes
    IMatch
    Engine blanket
    LED lights
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks and rear hitch
    Country Time/Tarter 48" Tiller
    Titan carriage & 42" forks

PS Everyone knows what a 1025R looks like so my Avatar is a picture of my two girls!!!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    Let us know how it comes out . Good decision not to use your tractor's fel .
    etcallhome, rtgt and USAFRet like this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks
    6-10" stump forget it... rent or hire a stump grinder. This is coming from a guy who's removed thousands of stumps.
    etcallhome, rtgt and USAFRet like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Thanks
    It depends upon the soil that the stumps are in. Chances are that you would have a real hard time, but there are some soil types where it could work. Also the height of the stump makes a difference for the amount of leverage you have available and lastly, whether or not there is a tap root headed to the center of the Earth.

The last property we had just a few miles away was sandy loam with hard pan just 30" down. Trees were pretty easy to dig up. Here I have yet to see hard pan no matter how deep dig I deep, and while the soil is very sandy, trees are are impossible to pull out because they have tap roots that seem to go straight down for miles.
    rtgt and Levi like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts
    I've dug out a stump about 15" across on a hill. On flat land I wouldn't think twice about digging 6" or 10" stumps out, I'd just do it. I do have a tooth bar on my bucket. The FEL just makes a bigger hole when digging and a BH is better tool to do digging. I tried to dig out a 12" stump and buried my tractor and had to dig my way out. Stump is still there, on a steep hill. Even after getting 3' down the stump didn't move. I've dug out 3 or 4 6" stumps without any trouble, just leaves a bigger hole to fill back in. Don't have a BH so I use what I have.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Ray_PA and 7 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    6"-10" stump is nothing. I'd use the loader.

3025e
    Levi likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFRet View Post

Thanks for your help.
    If you need a recommendation for a stump grinder guy, this guy just did several for me last week. He did very good work, and was reasonably priced. His name is Skip, very good guy.
    A1 Enterprises Stump Grinding
    Levi and JD322 like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast