1 series fuel additives?.. Anyone use them?..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1 series fuel additives?.. Anyone use them?..

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks

1 series fuel additives?.. Anyone use them?..

hey folks.. This 1023e that I have coming is the first Diesel anything I've ever owned.. I run a splash of seafoam pretty regularly in every gas engine I've had for as long as I can remember and really like it.. Does anyone bother with any of the diesel additives out there?.. Any merit to any of them?..

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,091 Posts
    There are a lot of varied opinions on fuel additives, so much so that there really isn't a "general consensus". A lot of people run them, a lot don't.

Personally, I don't run any in my diesel pickup. I do run one in my diesel tractor. The difference is my truck uses a different type of fuel system that does not have a high pressure fuel pump (injection pump), but my tractor does. The extra lubrication from a good fuel additive is certainly good for the pump, and the fuel injectors.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    You'll get a lot of varied answers with a question like that. It's like asking "what's the best motor oil?" or "what's the best tires, R4s, R1s, or R3s?" It's best to do some research and figure out (and wade through all the BS) which is best for you. I can tell you that some high profile, very well known diesel additives are glorified kerosene which is something you don't want in your tractor's fuel system. Avoid anything with alcohol either.

I personally use Opti-Lube products. I would also use Stanadyne (which is who makes JD's additive last I checked).

I'm going to borrow 56FordGuy's usual statement and say 'your mileage may vary.'
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    You'll get a lot of varied answers with a question like that. It's like asking "what's the best motor oil?" or "what's the best tires, R4s, R1s, or R3s?" It's best to do some research and figure out (and wade through all the BS) which is best for you. I can tell you that some high profile, very well known diesel additives are glorified kerosene which is something you don't want in your tractor's fuel system. Avoid anything with alcohol either.

I personally use Opti-Lube products. I would also use Stanadyne (which is who makes JD's additive last I checked).

I'm going to borrow 56FordGuy's usual statement and say 'your mileage may vary.'
    ha!.. fair enough diesel.. And yeah, you're right.. It is kind of a "can of worms" question and was pretty open ended.. I think I was just looking to see what folks posted that they use if anything to see if there was any kind of a pattern.. Just want to give the engine the best fighting chance I can at longevity..

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by golf12 View Post
    ha!.. fair enough diesel.. And yeah, you're right.. It is kind of a "can of worms" question and was pretty open ended.. I think I was just looking to see what folks posted that they use if anything to see if there was any kind of a pattern.. Just want to give the engine the best fighting chance I can at longevity..
    You can start with good clean, fresh fuel. Get it from a station that has a lot of truck traffic. That goes a long way to keeping the fuel system clean and happy. A good additive is an insurance policy. Most of the time you wouldn't even know it's doing anything.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 AM
    Thanks
    Not an expert here, so ymmv, I use Opti-Lube XPD...
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have been using Opti-lube in winter. Haven't used a additive in summer.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    I also use the Opti-lube XPD, and as Diesel stated use a good clean/quality source of fuel also don't buy a lot at one time to keep the shelf life to a minimum.
    Vern

[COLOR="#008000"]2012 1026R w/loaded R3's, H120 FEL, Artillian forks, Ken's hooks, auto 54D mower deck, 54 front quick hitch blade
    Heavy Hitch front weight bracket, Omni Transformer hitch and subsoiler, 8-42lb. hang on weights, psrumors seat spring upgrade, Land Pride 54" box blade, Frontier LR2060 landscape rake, J.D. IMatch, Bxpanded tooth bar, backhoe thumb and quick change b/h bucket adapter, recently added 260 backhoe and gently used JD 647 tiller.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-04-2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I use Sta-bil Diesel formula year round and also use Power Service anti-gel in the winter months. Makes me feel a little better...
    John Deere 1025R w/ I-match - H120 Loader, 260 Backhoe with BxPanded dolly, 48" Frontier tiller, 48" frontier brush hog, 54" JD snow plow, Artillian - Frame, Forks and Diverter Valve with Snow plow attachment, Squeege and Wings. BXpanded Piranah Tooth Bar,

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    All my gas engines fed from 4 5gal. cans including mixes get Stabil treated gas. When it comes to what my 1026 needs I'm in lock step with JD products. Oils, greases and especially JD's own diesel "Fuel Protect" products. \

You can start here with JD's own words https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...conditioner,_1 and then wade through all the other commercial offerings out there.

Another thread: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...iesel+additive

Yet another: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...iesel+additive

You can use the "SEARCH" box top right of the page (terms "diesel fuel additive") to bring up lots of discussion on fuel treatment.

And I can tell you that JD's Fuel Protect ain't your Grandad's kerosene! One sniff will tell you it's not kerosene of this Earth!
    Gizmo2 and WhiskeySixRadio like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast