Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1025R Trans/Hydraulic fluid leak on brand new machine

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    03-16-2014 @ 09:31 AM
    Thanks

1025R Trans/Hydraulic fluid leak on brand new machine

Howdy folks, I've already read quite a bit here, lots of good information.

My problem is that I have a 1025R with 15 hours on it. Actually it's my step dad's but he's kinda clueless about this stuff and asked me to figure it out.

Anyway, I borrowed it to clear some downed trees, and on my second load (front end loader) noticed a big puddle of fluid where I had dropped the previous wood. I pulled onto a flat surface and checked it out. There was a bolt on a line that was so loose I could turn it with my fingers. I tightened it with a wrench and stopped the leak.

After thinking about it a bit, I began to wonder how much had leaked out. So I let it sit and cool before checking, and there was ZERO fluid on the dipstick. The bucket has been on for the entire 15 hours, along with a rear bush hog, so the hydraulics have definitely had a workout.

I'm not sure what to do next.

We have a local dealership and this is the second tractor he has purchased from them. IMO this is 100 percent the fault of either the dealer or whoever assembled the thing (I have no idea how they arrive at the dealership).

Thinking I need to:
    1) Be there to witness the removal of the fluid and see how much is left.
    2) Check the filter and magnets to see how many filings are present.
    3) Insist that at a minimum they do all that for free and refill the reservoir
    4) Potentially ask for a new system???

How much of a stink should I make over this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Welcome to GTT he's gone.
    My thoughts, I'd call the dealer and ask them what you should do, it will now be on record. They will probably tell you to add some fluid, which we all know but the point is let them tell you. I would guess you would be fine by just adding oil. Keep track of how much you put in and if you do, let us know.
    Issues may be break-in oil.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by he's gone View Post
    Thinking I need to:
    1) Be there to witness the removal of the fluid and see how much is left.
    2) Check the filter and magnets to see how many filings are present.
    3) Insist that at a minimum they do all that for free and refill the reservoir
    4) Potentially ask for a new system???

How much of a stink should I make over this?
    Keep in mind what I'm about to say is my opinion and my opinion only. It doesn't mean anything nor is it worth anything.

(answered in order of the questions posed)

1. No need to drain. Chances are they installed the loader but didn't top off the reservoir. This is very common on new tractors. The loader comes with no fluid in the system and takes a bit to fill all of the cylinders and hoses. after running it for a few hours the fluid level will be low. Get a gallon of fluid and top it off. Record how much it takes. If it need more than a gallon, it was probably due to the leak. Unless you heard funny noises and the tractor failed to work, it's very doubtful you have any real damage.

2. Wait until your 50 hour mark indicated by the Owner's Manual. Let the tractor get it's full break-in period before changing the fluid/filter and cleaning screens. Otherwise you're just flushing out very expensive, but good fluid.

3. You can ask, but i wouldn't hold your breath.

4. You'd be better off asking for a new tractor. The hydraulic system is very complex and is everywhere on the tractor. Almost every system on the tractor is affected by the hydraulic system. But again, I seriously doubt you have any real problems. See answer #1.

Don't worry. Your tractor has a warranty and is pretty robust. These aren't your normal flimsy box store lawn mowers. You didn't mention any real symptoms or issues other than the leak itself. Stuff happens sometimes. Talk to the dealer and let them know what happened. Get your gallon of Low-Vis HyGard and top it off. See what goes on. If it acts funny, let us know. We'll get you squared away.

Oh, and
    56FordGuy, rtgt and jphavener like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts

Glad to have you hear! Hate that you had a leak, but the good news is that it sounds like a pretty simple one. Occasionally hydraulic fittings work loose, it's the most common when they're new. Sounds like that's what happened to you. It's not a big deal at all.

You may already be aware, but when you check the hydraulic fluid level make sure the loader and three point hitch are both all the way down, shut the tractor off and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the level to stabilize. Fill as necessary, just keep track of how much you have to put in. These are tough machines and I would be very, very surprised if anything was damaged from what you described. Now, if you ran the fluid completely dry and kept trying to use it something could be harmed, but if that had happened the machine would have stopped moving, the loader would have stopped working, and you would have heard the pump pulling air; it makes a screaming noise that you can't miss. Even then, you would have to keep it like that for an extended amount of time to really hurt anything.

Sounds like you caught it quickly, fixed it properly, and just need to add some oil. You can call the dealer and let them know, I think it would be fair if they offered to give you a couple of gallons of hydraulic fluid to refill it. I wouldn't expect much more than that, because it sounds like this was just a little ump in the road and not a major failure. There's no reason to expect it to turn into a major failure later, sounds like y'all caught it early and fixed it instead of just ignoring it.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Keep in mind what I'm about to say is my opinion and my opinion only. It doesn't mean anything nor is it worth anything.

Stuff happens sometimes. Talk to the dealer and let them know what happened. Get your gallon of Low-Vis HyGard and top it off. See what goes on. If it acts funny, let us know. We'll get you squared away.

Oh, and
    Hey! Quit typing while I'm typing!

All kidding aside, I've fixed three hydraulic leaks this week. One was even a simple loose fitting, just like you had. Clean up the mess, tighten the fitting, refill and you should be all set.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Oh, and
    Thanks.

We have a gallon of fluid and I feel confident it was topped off after the loader was hooked up. I'll ask the other guy that drives it (yes, my step dad doesn't even drive it, his loss :P) if he topped it off.

I did shut it down for a bit before moving it up to the flat part of the drive. When starting it back up and moving it there was a whirring/grinding that I don't think the previous model had. I don't have anytime in the saddle on this one so I can't say if it was unusual or not.

The one puddle was at least 4 ounces, and there was a trail of oil from one side of the yard to the other, If I had to guess, probably 8 to 10 ounces leaked out in 5-10 minutes of use. Multiply that by 15 hours and thats where I start to worry.

Looks like this thing holds 13 quarts, or just over 3 gallons.

After adding more fluid, where do you say, this just ain't right?

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post
    You may already be aware, but when you check the hydraulic fluid level make sure the loader and three point hitch are both all the way down, shut the tractor off and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the level to stabilize.
    yup.

It might not have been caught at all except that I had it out on the road and noticed the spill. Out at "the hill" there's nothing but scraggly trees and crabgrass. Thing even sits out back of the shed on the dirt all year.

Thanks again for talking me down. It's not that big of a deal for me to take care of, but I'd had to look like a jerk for no good reason.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by he's gone View Post
    After adding more fluid, where do you say, this just ain't right?
    If you're asking how much missing fluid it takes to create a real problem, in your case I wouldn't worry about it. Before any damage could really be done, the tractor would've stopped lifting, moving, etc. That didn't happen, so even if it takes two and a half gallons to refill (I'd bet it's less than that though) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

If you're asking how many problems you have to have for the machine to be considered junk or swapped out for a new one, I'd say you're in very safe territory. As far as breakdowns go, this was a very minor one. Odds are the hose was just twisted a bit, and the pressure cycles of being used caused it to work a little loose. The hydraulic system operates at a pretty high pressure, it doesn't take much loosening for a leak to start. If you had continual problems then it might be an issue, but the one you've had is very minor.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-07-2018 @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    I'm with 56FordGuy, the fitting probably came loose as you were using it, and hasn't been leaking as long as you think it was. I just had to tighten a fitting on the FEL on my 2520 a month or two ago. I wouldn't have even noticed it was leaking except for all the red snow.

I used to have an old Waldon loader. It had a lot of hydraulic leaks. I would run it until it wouldn't move, or the bucket wouldn't raise, then dump 3 or 4 gallons of hydraulic fluid in it. It ran like this for years with no problems.

The hydraulic systems are fairly robust. Overheating them or never changing the fluid is worse than running them low on fluid.
    Andy B.

1966 110 Lawn Tractor
    2012 2520 - DELIVERED 27APR2012!!!

Tractor that I used to own - 1954 40 Utility
    KB3WPN

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    WELCOME to GTT, He's gone!

Had a couple hydraulic leaks on my 1026r 54 front plow. I think "the phone rang" when it was being assembled at the dealer. Actually it was the only way I'd have known that all those streaks on my blacktop would go away after a few weeks...

If you want to make that fluid a bit more visible...
    JD Part Number: MT3668
    FLUID, HYDRAULIC OIL DYE

...about $4.00 a bottle.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast