Snow blower chute movement. Hydraulic or Electric?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Snow blower chute movement. Hydraulic or Electric?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-06-2019 @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks

Snow blower chute movement. Hydraulic or Electric?

Newbie here just want some insight to the advantages and dis-advantages of electric vs. hrydulic used for the chute movement on a snow blower. This is going to a purchase over the summer so I'm trying to enlighten myself on this. I see that almost all manufacturers offer both type of set ups. I would think that the electric would be slow compared to the Hyd set up. All opinions are welcomed and encouraged .

Leaning to a rear mounted unit so I can keep the blade on or go back to the FEL.
    Last edited by dieselshadow; 03-17-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: edited title for better searches
    2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift and Mulching Kit, John Deere 647 Roto-Tiller 48”, 54" JD Front Hydraulic Blade, Frontier 2060L Rear 5’ Blade, I-Match, Heavy Hitch with 8 Suitcase weights and 2" trailer receiver hitch, Ken's Bolt on hooks and Pedal Extension, Mower Deck Axles, Rim Guard in Tires, PSrumors heavy seat springs, Artillian's Horse Blinders and UHMW cutting edge.

Life Sponsor Ducks Unlimited
    Life Member of NRA

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts

-Electric is often easier for the average do-it-yourself'er, most feel intimidated plumbing and working with hydraulics.
    -Hydraulics are a lot more money since buying some switches and wire is much cheaper than hoses, valves, motors and cylinders.
    -Some electric setups are slower, like those with linear actuators, but some use window or other gear motors that can be reasonably fast.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,328 Times in 2,601 Posts
    I don't own a snow blower, so I can't advise from experience. But electric would be considerably cheaper. Several members have done this to their blowers.

I changed your title so people can do future searches much easier. I hope you don't mind.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

kadorken (10-18-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Is the question pertaining to the chute deflector or the chute rotator?
    56FordGuy likes this.
    Tractor Attachments Maximized for Versatility
    www.ARTILLIAN.com
    Email: [email protected]

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-22-2018 @ 02:24 AM
    Thanks
    I did it using 12V. Check out the thread below. It has videos for both the rotation and defector.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...nowblower.html
    Artillian and Duke Snyder like this.
    Bob

2011 JD 2320, 200CX FEL, 62D MMM, Artillian Pallet Forks, 54" Front Mount Snowblower, Curtis Hard Side Cab, Ballast Box, HF Quick Hitch, 40 Gallon Fimco 3PTH Sprayer,

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I don't own a snow blower, so I can't advise from experience. But electric would be considerably cheaper. Several members have done this to their blowers.

I changed your title so people can do future searches much easier. I hope you don't mind.
    Not at all. I did search on here about the subject matter but with no luck.
    2013 1025R, H120 FEL, 54" AutoConnect Deck w/ Ind. Lift and Mulching Kit, John Deere 647 Roto-Tiller 48”, 54" JD Front Hydraulic Blade, Frontier 2060L Rear 5’ Blade, I-Match, Heavy Hitch with 8 Suitcase weights and 2" trailer receiver hitch, Ken's Bolt on hooks and Pedal Extension, Mower Deck Axles, Rim Guard in Tires, PSrumors heavy seat springs, Artillian's Horse Blinders and UHMW cutting edge.

Life Member of NRA

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Artillian View Post
    Is the question pertaining to the chute deflector or the chute rotator?
    Both

Life Member of NRA

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sterling40man View Post
    I did it using 12V. Check out the thread below. It has videos for both the rotation and defector.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...nowblower.html
    I saw this video and it was a nice clean set up.

Life Member of NRA

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

sterling40man (03-17-2014)

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    If cost wasn't the only factor between the two systems , what would you choose and why.

Life Member of NRA

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    If cost wasn't the only factor between the two systems , what would you choose and why.
    I've never owned or operated a snowblower, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

With that said, it seems like hydraulic for rotation and electric for the deflector would be the way to go for ease of fabrication and reliability. Judging from what I've seen others do, the hydraulic setup ends up a cleaner install for rotation with fewer moving parts. Electric for the deflector because it can be done with a basic linear actuator and you can run a much smaller electric cable up the chute instead of a pair of bigger hydraulic lines.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast