Yesterday was not my day to wear rubber.
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By golf12
  • 1 Post By Ultrapile
  • 1 Post By 636mullet

Thread: Yesterday was not my day to wear rubber.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-22-2019 @ 05:43 PM
    Thanks

Yesterday was not my day to wear rubber.

I cleaned up my tractor last night after doing some dirt work in my corral and using my rotary cutter to cut the weeds down in my pasture.

First I heard a knocking sound when I dropped my rpms down to an idle while opening the gate to pull out of the pasture. I shut the tractor down and pop the hood. I notice the rubber strap which secures the air breather housing has come off. The rubber split at one end where the metal piece secures to it. I start the tractor up and thankfully the breather housing is making the knocking noise. crises averted, good news for me!

I then pull out and start to clean up the tractor. With this I notice a 3-4" piece of chain link fence sticking out of the front left tire. I replaced all of my corral and pasture fence a few months ago and took in our dog old kennel area for more corral. The wire is stuck in the tire near the base of one of the tire lugs. I was hoping it did not penetrate the tire. I wiggle it some and hear the all too familiar hisssssss of air escaping. No leak when letting it set there. This afternoon I am picking up a tire plug kit.

I guess my tires are not new anymore.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!
    Also: Ford 9n, Massy Ferguson 231 & 231s, Zeter 7711 and a Mahindra 3525

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks
    well.. the tractor gods may have had something more serious in mind for you when you heard the sounds from the engine compartment then decided to give you a break by just sticking a piece of that fence in your tire.. Glass half full!... ha!..

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-17-2018 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    tires are no fun. I let my dealer convince me to get turf tires as I thought I would be doing more mowing but I find myself preferring the craftsman than the deck. even though its roll on-roll off, I don't like switching it out. Anyway, while clearing the back and adding more open space to my 3 acres, I picked up a piece of glass that went through. I was able to plug it for awhile, using multiple plugs but I finally had to give it up to the Goodyear dealer. Of course he said I would have to have a new tire.....I countered with "can't you put a tube in it?" That's what we agreed to do. he patched the inside too. been good ever since....that was last fall. still wish I had gotten the R4s when I got the tractor. I've priced them....Ouch! think i'm going to settle for chains for the time being. sometimes when it gets a little wet, the 4 x 4 just sits and spins back in the woods.....although it did do pretty good this winter.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I do my share of spinning my R4's in my pasture when it's wet. The ground is so flat here, it does not drain well. Since one of my tires is punctured making it old and worn, I should replace them all with a set of monster mudders.
    tcass likes this.
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.
    1025R FILB; 50" FEL Bucket with 3 Ken's Bolt On Hooks, Bucket Mounted Receiver and 1 Shackle Mount; psrumors Seat Springs; 12" BH Bucket; Box Blade; 48" Rotary Cutter; 48" Tiller; Omi Manufacturing Transformer Hitch w/Weight Rack; Artillian Forks, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar, and More to come as I can beg it out of my wife!

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    02-28-2019 @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    I literally pulled honey locust trees all last season with the new tractor. 80% of the 50 hrs of use was doing that. Probably dodged thousands of thorns. During out last snow as I was running the blade I noticed my front left r4 tire was low. Somewhere I had picked up a roofing staple... My house doesn't even have those, nails were used. Sometimes we are just an unlucky target. I put a plug in it and it's been fine now though. ;)

Jim
    '11 3005 4wd R4s w/300 & 60" Std w/Pirahna tb, Artillian 36" forks, Custom 83" SnowBear front blade, Frontier RB2060 blade, King Kutter TG-G-60 tiller and RFM-72 mower, Spee-Co Model-65 phd, Fimco LG-40-3PT sprayer, Tarter SUBY and TMY, Agri-Fab 24x48LR lawn roller & John Deere BW15073 and 6x42lb weights.
    '12 ZTrak Pro 925A-EFi w/60" 7-Iron, AgriFab SmartLink w/(aerator/dethacher/roller), 130lb Spreader & 350lb Poly Cart.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I plugged the tire. It should do the trick. I am still thinking of monster mudders for it though!
    Kenny
    0331 88-92 USMC Ret.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I hooked a rops light to break in my new tractor. GTT is here for ya...

Ultrapile likes this.
    Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements