Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pre 1025R Purchase Questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks

Pre 1025R Purchase Questions

Looking at purchasing a 1025R this spring with Loader, Mower and Snowblower. This will be to replace an old riding mower and be used for yard work and snowblowing in the winter. I mow about 2 acres around the house and backyard. So the first question is about the mower. Is this to big of a machine to be mowing around a house and backyard? Originally was thinking of a EZtrak Zero turn for this but the dealer seem to think that the mower of the 1025R would work well. I like the idea of a multipurpose machine.

Second Question is about tires. Dealer is recommending the R3 Turf tires said they would work better mowing and with chains in the winter, kinda makes sense but will also be doing some bucket work occasionally around the back yard and into some brushy areas. Opinions on the R4's for this?

Last question is on the snowblower. We don't have a huge driveway but takes way too long with a walk behind blower now. I like the front mount for ease of operation and control but also would need the bucket occasionally to move some snow from an inside corner where snow comes off the roof. Does a rear mount make more sense or can the front mount be swapped fairly easily.

Thanks for any comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,329 Times in 2,601 Posts

Thumbs up Welcome to GTT!

Good questions.

Yes, the 1025R would be a great choice for all the chores you have listed. Get the 60D mower if you don't have obstacles that require the smaller 54" mower. It's a really good mower. The R3 tires will provide excellent traction on your lawn and are a great choice for snow removal chores. R4's tend to be better for lots of heavier duty woods works, loader work, dirt work etc. They're not really needed for the typical homeowner chores. That being said I own R4's. I like the heavier duty side walls for the loader work that I do. Either way, both will work for your scenario, but I think the R3's would be a better choice.

I don't own a snow blower, but there are tons of members who will gladly lend you their opinion.

- Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 1026r for about an acre and a third. So you are definitely not too big. Will be a good fit for your yard. I have the 54" deck as it was a better fit between a few tight areas.

Tires are a personal choice it seems, both are well design for the tractor. Unlike other models, the r3 and r4's are both 4 ply on the 1 series, so there is no issue with quality.

The snowblower again is a personal choice. From reading here you can go from a front mount blower to loader in about 15-20 mins, once you know what you are doing. The cost was a little too much for me so I went with a rear mount unit (also small driveway). I have been more then pleased with its performance, but can get a little sore in the neck if you don't sit sideways on the seat. If money was no issue and the change over was nothing to worry about I would go with the front mount unit.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post
    Looking at purchasing a 1025R this spring with Loader, Mower and Snowblower. This will be to replace an old riding mower and be used for yard work and snowblowing in the winter. I mow about 2 acres around the house and backyard. So the first question is about the mower. Is this to big of a machine to be mowing around a house and backyard? Originally was thinking of a EZtrak Zero turn for this but the dealer seem to think that the mower of the 1025R would work well. I like the idea of a multipurpose machine.

Second Question is about tires. Dealer is recommending the R3 Turf tires said they would work better mowing and with chains in the winter, kinda makes sense but will also be doing some bucket work occasionally around the back yard and into some brushy areas. Opinions on the R4's for this?

Last question is on the snowblower. We don't have a huge driveway but takes way too long with a walk behind blower now. I like the front mount for ease of operation and control but also would need the bucket occasionally to move some snow from an inside corner where snow comes off the roof. Does a rear mount make more sense or can the front mount be swapped fairly easily.

Thanks for any comments.
    First off welcome from West Virginia

I went from a 54 " deck to the 60" love it , can get around trees and fence post much easier without the worry of hitting the ROPS lights. To answer your question I own less than 1 acre but help with over 3 acres total. Past years had been helping with another friend that had around 3 acres. No I don't think it is to big for that little amount .Like the dealer said if you want a loader, why not buy a series 1 instead of buying 2 or 3 machines.

I have always gone with R4 tires , that way doing the summer months , if you mow on a hill side you don't need to keep chains on year around. Just my 2 cents. I asked my dealer just last week and he told me about 60% have R4 and the rest have Turf.
    For blower I have front mount 47 " blower and 54 blade, I use my quite a bit helping the neighbors. so for me rear blower was never a thought. As for switching between blower and fel guessing 20"-30 min at the most.
    Hope this helps some , listen to all replies you will hear good and bad on R4 , on turfs , on frt and rear blowers.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-27-2018 @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    I bought a 1025R with, among other accessories, an 60 inch belly mower. I mow about 2.5 to 3.0 acres in the summer. Mowing with this tractor and belly mower cut my mowing time in half when compared to the riding lawn mower I was using previously.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyH View Post

I have a 1026 and mowing with a 54D deck. My "acreage" is... (wait for it)..... ˝ acre minus house, detached garage/shop and big paved driveway. Yeah, with a steering wheel spinner it's nearly as nimble as my GX335/48C machine.

I'm with the dealer on the R3's for mostly mowing jobs... on those "off road excursions" with a full load of gravel, etc. in the bucket R4's make more sense "less flatting" wise IF it's cut off brush or sharp rocks where you'll go. I have not seen any negatives mowing w/R4's as yet... BUT when the ground is soft I save some weight on the lawn using my GX w/turfs until lawn dries out again. (I miss that diesel mowing sound!:
    laugh

If that blower (wish I had one for the 1026!) switches out as easily as the loader, BH and mower deck, and you learn what it needs to connect/disconnect properly... I don't see any benefit to having to wind your neck backwards to blow snow. After all I've put my neck through it doesn't want any repeated rotations like that! I have a plow (so far) and no longer have any jobs with those "blind spots" you mention. One thing sure, "You gonna love that machine!" Good luck!

Thanks for any comments.
    sterling40man likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Thanks

From CT

Others above have covered questions well, I have a 2305 w/ 54 deck, loader, turfs and front mount snowblower...on just under 1 acre, all work well, turfs are filled (rears) for added traction. I prefer them over R4's overall, kind to lawn, do very well snowblowing, did buy chains but have yet to use them in 5 years. As for loader the R4's will dig in better but I am not in a big rush when working w tractor so turf do fine

Good luck w purchase, you will love it
    Last edited by fdmars; 03-26-2014 at 05:17 AM.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,001 Times in 2,957 Posts
    RandyH,
    I read through the replies from the other members (yes all of them) and I cannot add a thing other than a lot of good information and good members here on GTT.
    Welcome to GTT.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 AM
    Thanks
    As others said the 1025 will be fine for mowing. It may turn shorter than the GT you have now. The front blower isn't hard to put on , but I wouldn't want to put it on every time I needed to use it.

As for tires, I think either will work fine for you.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-28-2018 @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    I want to thank everyone for the comments and recommendations. Really does help hearing from others and the experience you have had with your JD. Think I'll look toward a 60" mower, Turf tires, and front mount 54" snowblower.

I'm sure I'll be back with other questions...

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast